Guide books...which would you suggest?

bgg319

Mouseketeer
The wife wants a guidebook. She enjoys the feel of a book in her hand. There are a couple of different choices on Amazon. I want to say she read the Unofficial Guide on our last trip. Any suggestions? Thanks.

It depends on what she is looking for in a guide book.
Growing up, we always got the Birnbaum guide. Lots of cute pictures, very basic info. But it is fun toook at the bookshel and see 1988, 1994, 1997,2002...and then the internet was invented.
If she has already read the UG, I suggest the UG Color Companion. It is like the UG, but with the pictures saying a thousand words each!!
If she is looking for something more informative than planning in nature, I loved the Imagineers Field Guide set. There is one for each park, and they are pocketsize. They really go into detail about how and why things look the way they do and lots of things that might be missed! The only downside to those is because of the size, the pictures and some of the text are small. But I understand, they wanted something you could carry in the park without being to cumbersome.

I have multiple copies of the UoG to WDW, Birnbaums, and the PassPorters. My favorite? PassPorter. I like the UoG, I really do. But I think it's just too much. It's hard to get a real grasp of what WDW is from it. I like Birnbaums but being the 'official' guide, it has only one perspective....it's all good!! And we know that isn't true!! Which brings me to the PassPorter. I love the photos, I love the maps. Yes, there is some negative in there, but it isn't as pervasive as in the UoG.
If someone asks me to recommend a guidebook? I always recommend PassPorters.

I have all of them..and I like the passporter and the Unofficial Guide the best. I also have Birnbaum, Fodors and a few others. I actually peruse them all. UnGuide is the best IMO..but huge to tote around...so I just use it for research.

I love the Passporter. It is so helpful in planning the trip as well as lots of information. The worksheets and pockets are great. This is wheat I always recommend.

Noelle

The Passporter is an excellent tool to plan your trip, write notes and sort receipts during the trip, then refer to it when planning your next trip. They make excellent souveniers stacked next to each other on the bookshelf. For more details the unofficial guide to WDW is awesome.

One to avoid- Lonely Planet Discover Florida. I checked it out of the library and it had a lot of misinformation. One tip - After enjoying your day at the Magic Kingdom, ride the monorail over to enjoy a home cooked dinner at the 50's Prime Time at Hollywood studios. Huh? The monorail doesn't go to Studios. LOL

I have bought almost every Disney guide book in print and I would say the 2 best book are 1. Unoffical Guide to Disney and 2. Passporter's

I have since stopped buying guide books. The last one I bought I never even finished reading it because I have read so many of them at this point I feel like I know the info in those books like the back of my hand.

I did buy the 2012 Passporter guide but I won't be buying anymore.

One to avoid- Lonely Planet Discover Florida. I checked it out of the library and it had a lot of misinformation. One tip - After enjoying your day at the Magic Kingdom, ride the monorail over to enjoy a home cooked dinner at the 50's Prime Time at Hollywood studios. Huh? The monorail doesn't go to Studios. LOL
I love it when I find errors. I forget exactly which book it was, but a friend of mine argued with me about the ability to take a boat from CBR to MK! The guidebook told her that you just got on the boat at CBR and headed right to MK..the only moderate you could do that from. I couldn't make her believe that it wasn't possible. She said..'Well, it's in a guidebook, so it has to be true.' and she went and booked CBR. Imagine her surprise when she got there!!!

We have a Birnbaum guide or two here from the 90's or earlier but I highly recommend the Unofficial Guide to WDW. I usually purchase one of these for every few trips when enough has changed in the World. The Unofficial Guide is so informative with touring plans, restaurant and hotel ratings, and so much more. Also has Universal and SeaWorld packed in (not as intense coverage though) for anyone planning on making a pit stop to those places. However, if you're looking for something with lots of colored photos, then Birnbaum is your answer.

I bought a passporter a couple of months ago. It is very good and comprehensive guide book.

Another vote for the Passporters. I loved the little folders to fill out for each day. It was a VERY good overview of all the information and organized very well. My only complaint was pages and pages of family photos in the book that just made the whole thing a bit heavier than it needed to be! I'll still be bringing mine into the park since we have a stroller to stash it in and I don't have to carry it.

I read every WDW book I could find at the library and I liked that one the best. My 2nd choice is the Mini Mickey Unofficial Guide.

I vote passporters as well! We always bought birnbaum's growing up, but I discovered the passporters guide and it's become my favorite. Good info and lots of pics.. And not too bulky!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter