Guest Test of Magic Bands (Official Notice)

doconeill said:
That's a different issue. I do NOT recommend linking ANY tickets to MDE unless you are actually taking part in the test and are told to by Disney. There have been several quotes from CMs saying this deactivates the physical media and you will not be able to get into the parks directly.

Alas, I've already done it, so if they don't have MagicBands ready for us by mid August, I'll be stopping by Guest Relations to get it straightened out.

They should NOT have made that page public. Yet it is still there...

Ok, now _I_ am scared. I linked my ticket the other day playing with the mobike MDE. Didn't realize until after that I had linked to the wrong account. (Still me, but MDE thinks I exist in duplicate, so I've been using one account and mostly managing to ignore the other - except they have to be linked in order for me to use the mobile app).

Ok, now _I_ am scared. I linked my ticket the other day playing with the mobike MDE. Didn't realize until after that I had linked to the wrong account. (Still me, but MDE thinks I exist in duplicate, so I've been using one account and mostly managing to ignore the other - except they have to be linked in order for me to use the mobile app).

Don't be scared!!! Nothing a trip to guest services won't cure, at the worst. Too much worrying on here! :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I am doing a limited amount of linking in MDE. I had to link my resort and restaurant reservations to get to do my +10 ADRs, but other than that, I'm staying away from it. I guess I don't understand the need/rush to link everything together. I have my confirmation numbers and emails, I don't need an unstable website to link everything together now that the +10 is out of the way. I guess I'm not seeing the need to use the MDE website at all right now, once your ADRs are made. The MDE website is painfully slow, it constantly unlinks reservations, the app is slow and a battery hog. What is the benefit to linking everything together right now, especially tickets?

I believe linking it to your account is OK, just not to an actual reservation. Probably the default is to make the KTTW cards/Magic Bands active for the specific length of the trip- another bug they need time to figure out.

MickeyMinnieMom- no worrying, just letting others know what I was told. I don't want to make an expensive mistake (or have others do the same)!

I believe linking it to your account is OK, just not to an actual reservation. Probably the default is to make the KTTW cards/Magic Bands active for the specific length of the trip- another bug they need time to figure out.

MickeyMinnieMom- no worrying, just letting others know what I was told. I don't want to make an expensive mistake (or have others do the same)!

I hear you on wanting to help people avoid possible missteps - always appreciated! I'm not clear on how this would be an expensive mistake. Maybe I misunderstand, but I thought we were talking about a trip to guest relations at worst. Not fun, but not something to worry about IMO. :)

Disney will certainly alter this to make more money, I'd bet on it. There is nothing saying that the "rule of three" will apply to every one equally. I easily see them offering additional FP+ reservations as a benefit to people who stay on property or who travel during slower times, etc.
I'd suspect that you're right. In order to make the most money, they would probably need to offer both, advance FP+ and a day-of FP version, IMO.

They could eventually offer levels of FP+, maybe more FP+ for the deluxe hotels or perhaps unlimited for club level room guests. They already do this with the levels of "free" dining offered. Then, they could offer upgrades, for a fee: Deluxe FP+ anyone? :confused3

They could offer just 1 FP+ to offsite/day guests who associate it with their entry ticket or pass # and not with a hotel reservation, maybe a month prior to their visit. This would familiarize day guests with how it works and possibly entice them to move their reservation onsite, filling vacant hotel rooms in lower seasons. It would also explain to first-timers that this system is available to them :teacher: and how it works... before they arrive. It would encourage them to actually look at the attractions available (and even the map :scared1: ) in advance, so fewer would be clueless on arrival... then miss out and complain.

Anything that improves the guest experience, especially for the first-timer, will increase profits. Happier customers spend more on souvenirs, splurges, upgrades and return visits. They shrug off higher prices in restaurants and shops, adopting a "why not? we're on vacation" attitude. IMO, this is the principle at work behind this costly, new FP+ program.

That's a different issue. I do NOT recommend linking ANY tickets to MDE unless you are actually taking part in the test and are told to by Disney. There have been several quotes from CMs saying this deactivates the physical media and you will not be able to get into the parks directly.

Alas, I've already done it, so if they don't have MagicBands ready for us by mid August, I'll be stopping by Guest Relations to get it straightened out.

They should NOT have made that page public. Yet it is still there...

Don't know that this is true in all cases... I added our APs to the MDE app last week when we were on site. I'm pretty sure I added them prior to our last park visit which was Friday night, and we had no trouble getting into Epcot.

Don't know that this is true in all cases... I added our APs to the MDE app last week when we were on site. I'm pretty sure I added them prior to our last park visit which was Friday night, and we had no trouble getting into Epcot.

That at least is a good sign. However my recommendation stands - since there is current advantage to linking tickets, and a possible disadvantage, it's not worth doing it now.

It wasn't getting in that the CM told me about. It was that once the cards were tied to a specific reservation they were tied only to that and you could not use them any longer- at least not that they had figured out at this time. In effect, they would be tied to my KTTW card for that visit and "disappear" at the end of my stay just like tickets/dining plan/room access/etc that are typically put on there. The KTTW cards "expire" at the end of a reservation.

I think tying them to your profile, not a specific reservation, may be another thing altogether. I am not sure how that works.

MickeyMinnieMom- the CM specifically told me that they would be "gone". Do I think Guest Relations could probably sort it out if I had linked them and this turned out to be an error? Sure. But I may not have known that until next year when I went to use them, and that would be a lot of backtracking and hassle for all involved.

I bought the APs to save money since we are doing 2 trips within a year. If I linked them and lost them, I'd be paying more than I would have if I had just purchased our usual tickets for one trip. Therefore, it could have turned into a costly mistake.

It wasn't getting in that the CM told me about. It was that once the cards were tied to a specific reservation they were tied only to that and you could not use them any longer- at least not that they had figured out at this time. In effect, they would be tied to my KTTW card for that visit and "disappear" at the end of my stay just like tickets/dining plan/room access/etc that are typically put on there. The KTTW cards "expire" at the end of a reservation.

I think tying them to your profile, not a specific reservation, may be another thing altogether. I am not sure how that works.

MickeyMinnieMom- the CM specifically told me that they would be "gone". Do I think Guest Relations could probably sort it out if I had linked them and this turned out to be an error? Sure. But I may not have known that until next year when I went to use them, and that would be a lot of backtracking and hassle for all involved.

I bought the APs to save money since we are doing 2 trips within a year. If I linked them and lost them, I'd be paying more than I would have if I had just purchased our usual tickets for one trip. Therefore, it could have turned into a costly mistake.

I wonder if the CM is mistaken.

They are supposed to have the ability to handle multiple tickets per profile. Of course, if you have multiple tickets, how does it know which one to use when you scan? THAT is what I believe tying a ticket to a specific reservation is supposed to achieve.

Now, I wouldn't give Disney IT too much credit, but they MUST have taken APs and No Expiration tickets into account for that. The ticket should still be in your profile, regardless of whether it was part of a KTTW card for a specific stay. And right now they still aren't attaching APs to KTTW cards.

By the way, where do you attach tickets to a specific reservation?

The biggest issue I see here is the limit of one park per day. That really screws the park hopper and AP crowd. 3 FP is a little low I would agree but I'm wondering if lower FP allocation means shorter standby lines as more people can be processed in the standby lines if there are fewer FP patrons.

I don't think this is the final version yet but we will see.

I wonder if the CM is mistaken.

They are supposed to have the ability to handle multiple tickets per profile. Of course, if you have multiple tickets, how does it know which one to use when you scan? THAT is what I believe tying a ticket to a specific reservation is supposed to achieve.

Now, I wouldn't give Disney IT too much credit, but they MUST have taken APs and No Expiration tickets into account for that. The ticket should still be in your profile, regardless of whether it was part of a KTTW card for a specific stay. And right now they still aren't attaching APs to KTTW cards.

I asked to begin with because I wanted to up my chances of being involved in a test of the new system (if possible) in a couple of weeks. I think it is something IT is working on, but they have not figured out how to get it to remain on the band through multiple visits? Maybe that is why this test is targeting people with "packages" as opposed to DVC and APs? Those groups have different forms of media and it may take some more work to get the systems integrated would be my guess. If APs cannot be attached to the KTTW currently that is probably a continuing problem. The CM did say it would be available in the future, so it is coming- just not yet!

Associating it with your profile I think just gives you discounts for packages and lets them know you have one- it was specifically the tying the AP to my upcoming reservation (essentially tying it to the KTTW card) was what she told me not to do. So if you only tied yours to your profile, I am thinking you will be ok- it will not be part of your KTTW card and therefore not disappear.

By the way, where do you attach tickets to a specific reservation?

I am using the MDE website on my computer for planning. It is on the "home" screen where you can see all your plans. There is an icon for making dining reservations, one for online check in, and a third that says to link existing reservations and tickets on the right side of that page. I only got to the first screen for linking before I decided to ask a CM first!

I don't believe for a moment that in this scenario you would have "lost" those tickets. The problem would be rectified - you have tickets you paid for that are valid - Disney would obviously make good on that. Hassle? Maybe. But no $$ lost.

Regardless -- good to know that this might be an issue -- or at least was at some point. :)

Btw, I am a DVC member with APs that are already linked to MDE (I think!). Still just not worth worrying about, IMO.

I am using the MDE website on my computer for planning. It is on the "home" screen where you can see all your plans. There is an icon for making dining reservations, one for online check in, and a third that says to link existing reservations and tickets on the right side of that page. I only got to the first screen for linking before I decided to ask a CM first!

I don't believe that is linking the tickets TO reservations. It is linking them to your profile, to be linked to a MagicBand when available.

"Linking Existing Reservations and Tickets" is just where you can link resort and dining reservations and tickets to your profile. I don't see anywhere where it is specifically tying them to a resort reservation.

I don't believe that is linking the tickets TO reservations. It is linking them to your profile, to be linked to a MagicBand when available.

"Linking Existing Reservations and Tickets" is just where you can link resort and dining reservations and tickets to your profile. I don't see anywhere where it is specifically tying them to a resort reservation.

This is what I thought as well.

I don't believe for a moment that in this scenario you would have "lost" those tickets. The problem would be rectified - you have tickets you paid for that are valid - Disney would obviously make good on that. Hassle? Maybe. But no $$ lost.

Regardless -- good to know that this might be an issue -- or at least was at some point. :)

Btw, I am a DVC member with APs that are already linked to MDE (I think!). Still just not worth worrying about, IMO.

We can just agree to disagree, I suppose. Your APs being linked should be fine in the app- it is the distinction of it being linked to a specific reservation that was the issue.

Like I said in my last post, pretty sure it is something with tying them to that in a way that ties them to the KTTW card- something they are not able to do in the existing system. You had to have APs separated. It looks like the new system will be able to handle that- just not yet!

Admittedly, I did not go through all the screens. I asked a CM before doing that. You could be exactly right... Everything else I have on that page is specific to my upcoming trip, so I figured what she was telling me was accurate. Either way, probably best to wait now!

Admittedly, I did not go through all the screens. I asked a CM before doing that. You could be exactly right... Everything else I have on that page is specific to my upcoming trip, so I figured what she was telling me was accurate. Either way, probably best to wait now!

Ah, I see...I have two reservations, and they both show on that same page. It is just a list of your "itinerary". Special events, scheduled stuff (for instance, I've got one day listed as a Magic Kingdom day, and I've "scheduled" the parade).

I'm thinking what the CM probably meant, it what I've heard from a few sources...if you register your MYW tickets in MDE, they become part of your profile and become "virtual", and the physical tickets are no longer tied to the entitlements. Then the MagicBand also associated with your profile would access the entitlements.

Without a MagicBand, you don't have the "key" any more, and probably need to get it re-issued on physical media.

This is what I believe she meant would happen. And it would explain the difference in our reservations and use of MDE...

Can you get 3 FPs for the same ride? Last year, I rode TSMM 8 times by early afternoon, utlizing stand by and fast passes. I think I used 3 FPs total.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter