• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guest Test of Magic Bands (Official Notice)

The only advantage I see for Disney is some headlines about how tech-savvy the company is. But for over a billion dollars, you'd expect more than just some friendly headlines and some "goodwill" from guests.

My bet is they will eventually use the new system to sell additional FPs, viewing locations, etc. Then they will make plenty of money back, on top of all of the bands and decorations they are going to sell.

What I can't get past is why all the secrecy? Come out and say 3 FP+ 1 park/day only and be done with it. Or even better belay our fears by letting us know there will be same day FP's and you can get them even if you park hop. My fear is that they know the former will be met, initially at least, with a great deal of perturbation and they want to delay that as long as possible.

I don't know, I kind of think that they are being honest when they say 3 FPs per day, one park. They went so far as to write that in the TOC, I can't imagine that was done lightly. But I also think they are going to try to sell additional FPs eventually.

I don't know, I kind of think that they are being honest when they say 3 FPs per day, one park. They went so far as to write that in the TOC, I can't imagine that was done lightly. But I also think they are going to try to sell additional FPs eventually.

There is no doubt there will sold FPs, or those in top hotels will get more. Would anyone on this board pay $350 a night to stay at the Contemporary if you knew you would get 3 FPs of value, and maybe some throw off FPs day of, and the rest of your time will be in standby?

This could feasibly even screw up off season, by giving out all the FPs to top rides 60 days out. The park will be fairly empty, but there will still be very few FPs available at rope drop. If park hours go from 12 to 8 hours, and a reduction of trains on coasters, yet you still get 3 FPs, there will still be a huge drop of availability to turbo visitors.

I've yet to hear anyone give any way this will improve things other than "it's Disney, It will be awesome".

Jason

Well a perfect example of being able to get FP+ in more than one park happened today. Went to epcot this morning and used 2 FP+. Decided Epcot wasn't really our cup of tea and we're now at MK. Would have loved to have been able to use that third FP+ on a ride here.

I made sure to make that a HUGE point in the focus group. And the moderator asked me to elaborate several times. It really seemed to me that he was listening to my concerns and valued the feedback.

Could you go into detail about what he asked you to elaborate on, and what you said?

And, what does it feel like to be a celebrity here?

It also many times sounds like Disney will never make a mistake, and there is no doubt FP+ will be an ultimate improvement.

The original FP was only an improvement because there remained many visitors ignorant to it that allowed others to exploit the system. And basically everyone on this board was getting more FPs than they should have, because of those people that under utilized it, or simply didn't use it.

FP+ will get rid of that. You'll only be getting your fair share of FPs from now on.

You're welcome.

Jason
:confused: I don't get this post. :confused3

While that would seem a reasonable assumption we just don't know. We have had reports that during the initial test last fall the question of whether FP+ would have been as well received if regular FP was not an option WAS NOT asked.

As for nothing-being-set-in-stone, the basic parameters of the system had to be in place before any implementation could have begun.
We now know from whatsarahsaid that this question was asked -- as I posited -- only makes sense. Basic parameters in place is not inconsistent with nothing being set in stone! The system allows the flexibility to make myriad adjustments, just based on the parts we know about.

Yes...we were asked that and we said we would be less favorable towards the FP+ if they got rid of the legacy system or some incarnation of it. I told them in an ideal world that we would get an allotment of FP+ to book before trip but still have the capability to grab day of FP. I also mentioned this was a sentiment shared by MANY people on this message board.

I made sure to make that a HUGE point in the focus group. And the moderator asked me to elaborate several times. It really seemed to me that he was listening to my concerns and valued the feedback.

Ohhh...I also mentioned it would be ideal if we could book FP+ in more than one park per day.

OMG -- whatsarahsaid -- you rock!! :thumbsup2 :woohoo: :cool1:

Thanks again -- SO MUCH -- for your accounts here!!! :worship:

The system allows the flexibility to make myriad adjustments, just based on the parts we know about.

What we know is that the test allowed the flexibility to make myriad adjustments. I'm not the least bit surprised by that. What matters, and what I want to see, is how flexible it will be when the entire park population is using it. That's much easier to accomplish when only a tiny portion of the population is using it.

What we know is that the test allowed the flexibility to make myriad adjustments. I'm not the least bit surprised by that. What matters, and what I want to see, is how flexible it will be when the entire park population is using it. That's much easier to accomplish when only a tiny portion of the population is using it.

I don't mean flexibility to the end user -- we can't know that at this stage with any kind of certainty at all -- it's up to Disney how flexible they make it.

What I mean is that the system -- as we understand it thus far -- allows DISNEY much flexibility to make adjustments along the way (e.g. how many FP+ allowed per day per guest, allotments to FP+ by attraction, bonus FP+ awarded for X, Y or Z reason, etc.). As such, they can make changes during testing, during full roll-out, after full roll-out, in X years, etc. as they get feedback.

So glad to hear you raised the issue! Curious to hear more about the focus group discussion---what kinds of things were the other guests saying??

Well a perfect example of being able to get FP+ in more than one park happened today. Went to epcot this morning and used 2 FP+. Decided Epcot wasn't really our cup of tea and we're now at MK. Would have loved to have been able to use that third FP+ on a ride here.

I hope this will turn out to be a limitation of the early phases of testing, until they get their systems properly integrated, as I can see this one being a major annoyance to a lot of full-on touring guests.

Think of it, TSM, Soarin' and Peter Pen FastPasses all in one day!

Andre

When I first heard about FP+, this is what I thought the scenario would be...able to schedule up to 3 FP+ ahead of time, but still be able to pick up day-of FP's as well.

And maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but I still can't figure the monetary advantage for Disney is with this implementation. I got it when the original FP system was put into effect and pretty easy to figure out: Taking people out of attraction lines and into shops and restaurants to spend more money.
Yet, I don't see FP+ increasing that shopping/dining time. The results are the same, just with a different delivery method, same day vs. pre-selection of FPs.

The only advantage I see for Disney is some headlines about how tech-savvy the company is. But for over a billion dollars, you'd expect more than just some friendly headlines and some "goodwill" from guests.

It's about getting people to enjoy the parks more so they will a) return and/or b) tell others how great it is and they should visit.
Think about the difference in a day between those that wander not knowing what to do wait in 45-80 minute lines and maybe stumble across some characters vs those who FP have ridden several rides while the other person was waiting for one and has a general plan. The happier the guest the more money they spend, the happier they are the stronger their relationship/loyatly is to Disney the more they return and you guessed it...the more money they spend.
Universal advertises their quick queue as this no hassle thing where you don't have to go up to a ride and come back later (conviently brushing over the fact that Disney's is free and theirs is $100) FP+ may allow Disney some new advantages over FP

...Universal advertises their quick queue as this no hassle thing where you don't have to go up to a ride and come back later (conviently brushing over the fact that Disney's is free and theirs is $100) FP+ may allow Disney some new advantages over FP

except if you stay onsite the unlimited version is included. so there is great incentive to stay onsite at Universal. we have priced a cheapo hotel offsite and paying for express pass and it's not worth it. so in effect, it is free if you stay onsite.

with that being said, Disney's FP is unique to the fact that there is no seperate charge for it regardless of pass type or accomodations on/off site.

Disney will certainly alter this to make more money, I'd bet on it. There is nothing saying that the "rule of three" will apply to every one equally. I easily see them offering additional FP+ reservations as a benefit to people who stay on property or who travel during slower times, etc.

They still mention AP holders needing to hold on to the cards for discounts, although that was removed from the T&C.

I was told a few days ago not to link my AP (voucher) to my current reservation in the MDE app because I would not have a pass to return with for subsequent visits. :scared1:

The CM said that feature "would be available later" but that it was not at this time. Apparently they have not figured out all of the AP parameters yet?

I was told a few days ago not to link my AP (voucher) to my current reservation in the MDE app because I would not have a pass to return with for subsequent visits. :scared1:

The CM said that feature "would be available later" but that it was not at this time. Apparently they have not figured out all of the AP parameters yet?

That's a different issue. I do NOT recommend linking ANY tickets to MDE unless you are actually taking part in the test and are told to by Disney. There have been several quotes from CMs saying this deactivates the physical media and you will not be able to get into the parks directly.

Alas, I've already done it, so if they don't have MagicBands ready for us by mid August, I'll be stopping by Guest Relations to get it straightened out.

They should NOT have made that page public. Yet it is still there...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter