Guess what was dug up at Ground Zero!!!

wow! that is awesome! i hope they can preserve it quickly, and perhaps determine the name of the ship!

I heard about this on GMA this morning. It's very cool.

I hope that some of it can be preserved and they can find out more about it. :goodvibes

That's incredibly wow! Makes you wonder what other artifacts and hidden under so many layers of mud and soil.

I am particularly excited about this discovery. The part that really got my attention was that they found some brick and metal that seemed to indicate there was a stove or steam boiler. That might be an indication that this boat was built at the beginning of the 19th century and not the 18th century as speculated. In the early 1800s my great, great, great grandfather was a prominent builder of sloops and schooners just up the river in South Nyack, NY. His boats were among those used to deliver the quarried stone used in buildings in lower Manhattan as well as other goods. He was among the first to use steam power and built the first steam-powered ferry in the area. I'm more than curious about any identification they can make on this find.

GeorgeG, that's exciting!

This is so interesting. I hope that they can find a way to ID it.

I read that this morning, pretty interesting. I never knew that area was pretty much man made. Scares me to think that there's so many of the tallest building on that little island.

The shoreline of San Francisco was also extended into the bay with fill and they have unearthed ships there, too. There's an historic photo of dozens of ships abandoned there around the time of the gold rush. I suppose there are even more cities with the same situation.

The shoreline of San Francisco was also extended into the bay with fill and they have unearthed ships there, too. There's an historic photo of dozens of ships abandoned there around the time of the gold rush. I suppose there are even more cities with the same situation.

Yep. I was talking about this yesterday with a co-worker. She had no idea that NYC & SF as built up like this.

I don't know about San Francisco, but underneath much of Manhattan is a particularly strong form of bedrock. If you look at the skyline, see where all the *really* tall buildings are? They're anchored into a solid bedrock, a remnant of an ancient mountain range that was as least as high as the Himalayas.

agnes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter