Guaranty Room assignment question

cgolf

DIS Veteran
All,

We booked an IGT last week on the Magic for the Nov 15th cruise. Seeing the November Guaranty thread I have seen someone around that time get their assignment. Is there any rhyme or reason to when they assign the rooms? I assume since we just booked that will play into when we get our room assigned.

We did request first seating for dining and got it, so I am guessing that the ship is not that full for this cruise yet. Hoping not to be on 2nd floor but will be happy with whatever we get.
cgolf

All,

We booked an IGT last week on the Magic for the Nov 15th cruise. Seeing the November Guaranty thread I have seen someone around that time get their assignment. Is there any rhyme or reason to when they assign the rooms? I assume since we just booked that will play into when we get our room assigned.

We did request first seating for dining and got it, so I am guessing that the ship is not that full for this cruise yet. Hoping not to be on 2nd floor but will be happy with whatever we get.
cgolf

Typically, *GT assignments happen around 2 weeks out from the cruise. That said, any guarantee booking can be assigned at any time from booking day up to, and including, embarkation day.

We've been on deck 2 for all our Magic & Wonder (same layout) cruises. We love it.

All,

cgolf

I was assigned my IGT cabin on the Wonder 12 days before sailing, originally on Deck 6, but then DCL changed my cabin to Deck 2 3 days before sailing. No complaints from me (we went from an 11B to a 9C!), and I'll add my vote to the "don't knock Deck 2 until you try it" group...I really enjoyed that location, quiet, less apparent ship movement, easy access to MDR's and bars/theater without having to use the elevators, etc...

That thread is intended to be for GTY bookings, not IGT/OGT/VGT discounted cruises. They are two separate things and are assigned differently.

That thread is intended to be for GTY bookings, not IGT/OGT/VGT discounted cruises. They are two separate things and are assigned differently.

Confused on this one. I would assume that a guaranty room is also discounted vs picking out your room right? Then the igt, vgt rooms are the super discount rooms right? The only cruise we didn't choose our room was the Hawaii cruise where all the room were guaranty rooms.

Cgolf

Confused on this one. I would assume that a guaranty room is also discounted vs picking out your room right? Then the igt, vgt rooms are the super discount rooms right? The only cruise we didn't choose our room was the Hawaii cruise where all the room were guaranty rooms. Cgolf

No, a GTY room is not offered at a reduced rate.

Confused on this one. I would assume that a guaranty room is also discounted vs picking out your room right? Then the igt, vgt rooms are the super discount rooms right? The only cruise we didn't choose our room was the Hawaii cruise where all the room were guaranty rooms.

Cgolf

lauti is correct. GTY doesn't have any reduced rate. When a certain percentage of rooms within a specific category have been booked the category goes GTY. The cost is the same if you pick that category, but you cannot select a specific room.

Only the last minute *GTs have the reduced rates.

lauti is correct. GTY doesn't have any reduced rate. When a certain percentage of rooms within a specific category have been booked the category goes GTY. The cost is the same if you pick that category, but you cannot select a specific room. Only the last minute *GTs have the reduced rates.

Somehow that really doesn't seem fair, it almost forces you to book early if you are traveling in groups that need multiple rooms near each other, as it sounds like that is the only way to pick your room.

How have people not become disenchanted with paying full fare and getting stuck with potentially less then desirable rooms? For full fare I would expect to be able to choose my room within the selected category. When we priced out RCCL they didn't appear to do this other than doing an igt like DCL.

Cgolf

Somehow that really doesn't seem fair, it almost forces you to book early if you are traveling in groups that need multiple rooms near each other, as it sounds like that is the only way to pick your room.

How have people not become disenchanted with paying full fare and getting stuck with potentially less then desirable rooms? For full fare I would expect to be able to choose my room within the selected category. When we priced out RCCL they didn't appear to do this other than doing an igt like DCL.

Cgolf

We haven't found the GTYs to be "less than desirable" rooms. We've always booked 9C GTYs. Almost all of our cruises we've gotten 9Bs assigned. And the two times we booked with others (one cruise we had 2 rooms, another - 3) we've always been assigned rooms next door to each other.

Different cruiselines handle their reservations differently. DCL has done the reservations this way at least as long as we've cruise with them (2008). It certainly hasn't caused us to become disenchanted.

GTYs are actually on the high end of the pricing since as a set number of rooms is sold in one tier, the next set number of rooms increases in price. It is only when the last tier is available that the GTY rooms are offered in each category. Another way of looking at it is supply and demand. As the supply of rooms is booked, the demand for the remaining room increases and so does the price. DCL has booked this way since before 2003.

GTYs are actually on the high end of the pricing since as a set number of rooms is sold in one tier, the next set number of rooms increases in price. It is only when the last tier is available that the GTY rooms are offered in each category. Another way of looking at it is supply and demand. As the supply of rooms is booked, the demand for the remaining room increases and so does the price. DCL has booked this way since before 2003.

That is interesting, I guess because we always book on board for the next year in the same timeframe we have only run into this with the Hawaii cruise where we got lucky to snag a room. We also always go in non peak times too which probably helps. Learn something new everyday;)

Cgolf

When I first booked I had a room assigned but then we added one to our party and it seems at that time we went GTY. This makes sense to me, as there needs to be some shuffling I suppose.

Jeez.....STILL no cabin #. 13 days and counting...... I assume I will be able to see the cabin # when I login and look under "reservation summary", correct?

lbgraves said:

I have to disagree with this. We booked 5e gty in January 2013 for our October 2013 fantasy cruise. The price we paid was the same as the opening day pricing.

TJDisneymama said:
Jeez.....STILL no cabin #. 13 days and counting...... I assume I will be able to see the cabin # when I login and look under "reservation summary", correct?

When u log into your reservatiin on the Disney cruise site it should be there. I got mine a few or so back and I sail in nov.

I have to disagree with this. We booked 5e gty in January 2013 for our October 2013 fantasy cruise. The price we paid was the same as the opening day pricing.

I'm not sure how many 5E staterooms there are, but it's possible there are few enough that only 1 tier of pricing exists for that category. When a certain number of rooms were booked, it went "GTY" which allowed DCL a little more leeway in selling and placing people. Or maybe that cruise just wasn't selling well so prices didn't increase and DCL decided to put them on GTY - possibly knowing many will "think" that's a discount even though it is not.

However, in categories with lots of staterooms, lbgraves is correct that it's quite likely those who booked earlier and choose a specific stateroom had a lower fare than someone booking a GTY. In any event, GTY bookings are not considered discounted but regular fare.

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter