Guaranteed departures for 2016

TXTransplant

DIS Veteran
I know the guaranteed departure trips for 2016 haven't been released, yet, but do the dates of these trips remain consistent from year to year?

I'm close to pulling the trigger for the Italy-Amalfi Coast trip for 2016. My preferred dates for 2016 coincide with a guaranteed departure trip in 2015. Just curious if it's a reasonable assumption that the 2016 dates will be guaranteed.

I don't think most of us even knew there were guaranteed departures until just lately, or have much idea of what dates they are since they aren't on ABD's website. I don't think it's been around for a long time (although I could be wrong about that!) I'd be surprised if anyone besides DisneyKevin could answer this, assuming even he can.

Sayhello

Thanks for the reply! DisneyKevin is the one who I hoped would see my question and could/would answer.

...I'm close to pulling the trigger for the Italy-Amalfi Coast trip for 2016. My preferred dates for 2016 coincide with a guaranteed departure trip in 2015. Just curious if it's a reasonable assumption that the 2016 dates will be guaranteed.
Sounds like we're flip-flopping with you! We did Italy and are planning on Germany in 2016.

We actually did Viva Italia & did the Amalfi Coast on our own, which worked quite while.

If I book, my plan is to fly into Rome and do a few days there before heading to Naples/Sorrento. I just can't stop thinking about the hotel in Sorrento and the trip to Capri. I'm ready for a warm weather vacation! I also think my son would really like Pompeii and Pisa, and those are two places I didn't visit when I traveled to Italy in college.

If I book, my plan is to fly into Rome and do a few days there before heading to Naples/Sorrento. I just can't stop thinking about the hotel in Sorrento and the trip to Capri. I'm ready for a warm weather vacation! I also think my son would really like Pompeii and Pisa, and those are two places I didn't visit when I traveled to Italy in college.
I did the trip to Capri on my Med cruise ABD add-on, and it's marvelous! Relaxing and BEAUTIFUL! And the pizza making activity at Agriturismo La Galeatea was a blast and really wonderful. As long as you are still doing Rome on your own, I think you'll be very happy with the Amalfi Coast trip! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Thanks for the reply! DisneyKevin is the one who I hoped would see my question and could/would answer.

Last year, we were given a list of guaranteed departures, but it was not done this early.

We hope to have that same list, but we have to wait for ABD to provide it.

Last year, we were given a list of guaranteed departures, but it was not done this early.

We hope to have that same list, but we have to wait for ABD to provide it.

DisneyKevin, can you give any further insight? When did you receive notice of the guaranteed trips last year? Also, does ABD wait until the trips start to fill before they decide which ones are guaranteed? I just got a note from my TA saying that "A vacation date becomes guaranteed when enough guests have booked the vacation." Does ABD not designate some trips as guaranteed, regardless of how many are booked? This doesn't really match what I've been told before, and it makes it VERY difficult to even book a guaranteed date. And based on this policy, I would expect ALL trips that aren't cancelled to become guaranteed at some point, but that's not how ABD has handled it so far (ie, my Germany trip was never designated as "guaranteed" but we still went...).

This is all very confusing...

DisneyKevin, can you give any further insight? When did you receive notice of the guaranteed trips last year? Also, does ABD wait until the trips start to fill before they decide which ones are guaranteed? I just got a note from my TA saying that "A vacation date becomes guaranteed when enough guests have booked the vacation." Does ABD not designate some trips as guaranteed, regardless of how many are booked? This doesn't really match what I've been told before, and it makes it VERY difficult to even book a guaranteed date. And based on this policy, I would expect ALL trips that aren't cancelled to become guaranteed at some point, but that's not how ABD has handled it so far (ie, my Germany trip was never designated as "guaranteed" but we still went...).

This is all very confusing...

Unfortunately, I do not remember when we received the list of guaranteed departures.

I have a guest on an Adventure in August with 16 people booked. ABD has assured me that this trip is definitely going, but it has not been put in "guarantee" status.

I wish I could give you solid, concrete answers....but ABD doesn't work that way.

Waiting to book a "guaranteed" departure will probably mean that you'll end up paying more.

I realize that there are some folks here that have had departures that were canceled and they were not happy with the way things were handled. While this is terrible if it's your vacation, this is a very small percentage of the trips that take place each year.

I book a great many ABD trips each year and I have had two cancel within the 2015 season. One was a Nashville trip and one was a Greece trip. ABD helped both guests find alternate dates.

Again...I wish I had some magic formula as to how this works...but if there is one...I don't know it.

Just to put things in perspective.....I find that airlines changing flight schedules is a far bigger issue with guests traveling than ABD canceling Adventures...and people book flights without a second thought.

Waiting to book a "guaranteed" departure will probably mean that you'll end up paying more.

This is exactly why I went ahead and booked. If ABD is waiting to guarantee trips until a certain number of people book, then I figured the price would be higher if/when the trip I want is ever guaranteed. I just can't justify paying even more than what this trip currently costs, especially since I want to do a few pre-days in Rome.

There is another departure in June that we could take, if there is a problem with ours. But it seems like the Italy trips are pretty popular. I'm expecting this trip will have more guests than the 24 on our Germany trip (which was a great sized group).

I'll just have to wait out the next year and keep my fingers crossed. I don't plan to book airfare for a while.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter