• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guarantee doesn"t meen guaranteed!

pinkerbell said:
I too was given MIS information. I was told our stay on two ressies would not need us to change rooms. WRONG! Not just once and even when we checked in. NOT until I went to the lobby to find out how I would pick up my new room card the night before did I realize I HAD to pack up my 18 days worth of clothes and costumes and move completely across the resort! NOT HAPPY THEN, STILL NOT.
I'm NOT accusing/blaming you for anything, but did you let the resort know when you checked in or at any time during the eighteen days that you had a continuing reservation? Were both parts of your reservation for the same level/type of accommodation?

==

Several responses in this thread have indicated that connecting rooms would be guaranteed only when the number of minors (small children) exceed the number of adults.

First, even this scenario would not 100% demand connecting rooms - if necessary (and even in the case of the OP), while it's less than ideal, one adult can stay in one of the rooms with some of the children, while the other adult stays in the other room with the other children.

Second, there have been reports on this forum of SOLO adults traveling with too many minors for one room, who find their parties split between two non-connecting rooms - and those parties would/should have precedence over any part with two+ adults for that room configuration. If it's not available, it's not available.

==

And, the OP states that they request a king/standard connection but did not get it. Isn't a King room a bookable (and more expensive) room category at POFQ? If that is not the room type they eventually got, did they at least get refunded the extra money they paid?

I think I am confused...I have always been told connecting rooms WERE guaranteed for families. We are a family of 8 (2a &6c) and whether we booked through a TA or Disney directly...it has ALWAYS been a guarentee for famlies.....

If there happen to be no connecting rooms available (see some possible explanations in brergnat's post, above), then it is not possible to assign a party to connecting rooms.

Complaining here is fine, but Guests affected should be contacting DISNEY with their concerns - for example, if a Guest has a printed confirmation that indicates "GTD connecting", but checks in and there is nothing available (and I refer readers also to RustyScupper's list, on page one of this thread) and it can't be resolved, Guests should be writing to Disney.

Either they will stop guaranteeing something they can't actually guarantee - and here's where I insert my standard, "Requests are simply that - requests; Disney will do its best to grant all requests but while Disney does it better than most hotels, even they can't make magic" - or they will start really, truly guaranteeing connecting rooms. It may cost extra - after all, it may involve keeping one room unoccupied for three nights and another for one night, pending the arrival of the reserved party - but people who MUST have connecting rooms, well, must have them.\

eta: BUT IF NOBODY COMPLAINS TO DISNEY, well, they can't be expected to fix what they don't really know is broken.

Isn't there a saying that is something to the effect of "the only things in life that are guaranteed are death and taxes."

Why would anyone presume that Disney can GUARANTEE anything?

How would they do that? THE GUESTS are usually to blame for Disney not being able to guarantee anything, not the "system". The Guests who make demands, the Guests who extend their vacation by "just a couple days", the Guest who finds a mouse in his room and gets comped up to the Presidential Suite, thus bumping whomever had it reserved for that night, etc. Occasionally, mishaps occur (a plumbing accident, a fire, etc.) which cause a block of rooms to be unavailable, and this could necessitate WDW needing to move guests to another room category, or another resort altogether. Overbooking occurs on occasion.

It's the travel industry. NOTHING is guaranteed. You are setting yourself up for extreme disappointment, frustration, and aggravation by expecting any specific conditions to be met.

There is hardly a need to bash Disney because you did not get what you wanted. If the OP had read the FINE PRINT on the reservation (beyond reading the part he wanted to see), he would have noticed the part that also says that there are NO GUARANTEES as to room type, location, resort, etc. The "guarantee" that was typed into his reservation was entered by a human being, who, frankly, could have entered anything he/she felt like. It could have said "Guarantee a basket full of thousand dollar bills", but that wouldn't have made it true.

I was able to guarantee my exact room number for our Disney cruise. Why can't you do it for the hotels?

An example of the problem is that we love the Paradise Pier Hotel in Disneyland. We REALLY love the third floor cabana rooms. They are now all club level rooms, but of course, there are also other club level rooms that aren't cabana rooms.

We would be willing to pay out the nose for these rooms, but have no desire to pay for club level service and be put somewhere else. There is NOTHING I can do to be guaranteed a cabana room. Nothing. Zero, Zilch, Nada. If my choice was club level tower room or regular tower room, I would pick regular. I don't want to do what Disney suggested, which is pay for club level rooms, request the cabana rooms, and hope for the best. If we didn't get the rooms, we would be paying for club level rooms needlessly.

I was able to guarantee my exact room number for our Disney cruise. Why can't you do it for the hotels? ....

Probably because everyone leaves the ship on the same day and every room is pretty much available to book. But when people come and go every day, the length of the stay isn't the same for everyone, you can't do the same with rooms. Plus a room may have to be taken out of service for maintenance at the last minute. And they always have to do painting, etc.

Probably because everyone leaves the ship on the same day and every room is pretty much available to book. But when people come and go every day, the length of the stay isn't the same for everyone, you can't do the same with rooms. Plus a room may have to be taken out of service for maintenance at the last minute. And they always have to do painting, etc.

Exactly. This was the entire point of my post. It's not that hard to understand.

I'm sure it's nothing short of a nightmare to be a room assignor at a Disney resort. It's a job I'd never want to have...

I just read a post the other day about a plumbing accident at the GF that required the poster to move out of her room at 3am, and caused a ruckus in several adjoining rooms (a flood of dirty toilet water, if you can imagine that), as well. Can you imagine what that did to the next day's room assignments? And this was in the MAIN BUILDING concierge! What of the people who booked and paid for that room category who were to arrive the next day, when several rooms were out of commission for repair/cleanup? What do you think happened to them?

As they say S--T happens. :crazy2:

To be honest, that's one of the reasons we didn't stay on-site. We've stayed on-site before, when we didn't have kids, and have had different rooms with family members (all adults). Now that we have 2 ECVs among our families, and two of the ECVs, which would've been in one room, wouldn't make for an optimum fit because the rooms tend to be smaller. Also, the busses only accommodate 1 ECV per, which would mean separating the group, longer waits, and negative looks from others (other disabled people have remarked upon this). In our case, with small children, a single room meant little sleep for us, and the inability to really do anything while our children slept or have any privacy (or realistically, even take a rest while they watched TV or played).

Actually thought of 3 connecting rooms to fit our seven members, and debated seriously the two bedroom suites.

The rates were 3x more expensive and had less space, less privacy.... But, there are benefits, such as magic hours, DDP, magical express. There were complicating factors too...tickets are more expensive and if you buy them separately, no DDP and inability to really get food effectively w/o it.

When we go again, as a couple and or with the kids without ECVrs or if the children are older, we probably will share a room or as a couple we probably will stay on-site again. I venture to say there are many who struggle with this issue, and Disney probably could have more on-site capacity and less crowds, or more on-site to off-site guests as a ratio if it could accommodate the connecting room issue. Today's families have very little time to relax and getting a full nights sleep for working adults is a priority.

In the old days, the whole family could sleep in a room and it was okay, there was less disposable income, mom didn't work, privacy was less of an issue, people were not likely to work long hours and weekends, so the R&R part was less important compared to the family adventure part...today, a lot of couples I know while not proportionately richer with the number of hours worked, do have some additional income but do want suites and privacy.

We've gone multiple times to Disney...and hopefully this tradition will continue throughout our years and our childrens' years.

We went on a cruise too last year, we all shared a room, small...we didn't get much rest but the cruise did guarantee our rooms, we chose them on-line. Also, the cruise differs in the cruise idea is centered on the fact that parents can get away from children and vice versa, and it's all included, no matter the level of accommodation. You don't have to get the Walt Disney Suite or the Roy Disney Suite (which we almost did), in order to have some adult time w/o kids.

I just wanted to add that if Disney could guarantee connecting rooms, it would add value because even 2 connecting rooms are typically more expensive than an off-site suite.

1) You are guaranteed a room, not
.. . . not type of resort (Value, Mod, Deluxe).
Now just a cotton pickin' minute.

If the type of resort booked cannot be honored, I should expect an upgrade with no increase in price, or a significant rate reduction from the booked rate in the case of a downgrade.

Plus additional compensation if it is necessary to change rooms for example back to the booked category partway through a single booked stay.

I have generally booked value resorts so in the event of overbooking all I need say is "somewhere on site please".

My email conformation says "guarentee" on it. We asked for connecting rooms because we are a grand gathering.

Disney "guarantees" connecting rooms if you have one OR two adults and the children outnumber the adults. Unfortunately, it doesnt always happen

Now just a cotton pickin' minute.

If the type of resort booked cannot be honored, I should expect an upgrade with no increase in price, or a significant rate reduction from the booked rate in the case of a downgrade.

Plus additional compensation if it is necessary to change rooms for example back to the booked category partway through a single booked stay.

I have generally booked value resorts so in the event of overbooking all I need say is "somewhere on site please".

I definitely agree with you, here.

I am PERFECTLY willing to drive from POP over to Poly if they have trouble finding a room for me - for the same price. Really. I'll do it with a smile. I'll do it laughing and kicking my heels. But don't ask me to move from the Poly to POP, even WITH a drastic reduction. Just get the defibrillator out because I won't be doing well.

We had a FABULOUS experience last time with split ressies. We had 5 nights at POR and then moved for 2 nights to AKL Concierge. It was a seamless move, quickly handled, and they gave us EXACTLY the view we wanted at AKL. We couldn't have been more happy.

I will try to remember that if ever things don't go as well.

I'm one of those people who tried to extend their stay by one day this trip - just called a couple of nights ago. No dice, nothing available unless we wanted to move to a moderate. It seemed like I was just getting carried away at that point, so I turned them down. I was a bit surprised, but ok with it.

Well this seems to be a pretty typical problem. We had a similar issue at CSR last year - were there a week... We were told they'd get us the room and contact us as soon as they had one. Did we get a call all week? NOPE Then a couple weeks ago DH and I decided to take a brief get away and stay at WL. CM said she put us in a king - went to all lengths discussing it on the phone. Well when I called to be sure a couple days before our trip (due to fiasco last year) I was told there wasn't a single king available in the entire resort. I had them transfer me to Guest Svc and moved the ressie back to CSR in a king room. CSR now FINALLY has the capability of allowing the guest to pay a premium for a king room.

I frankly can't believe the people here saying we should pay Nordstrom level $$ for Kmart level service. NO when you pay top dollary (which Disney properties certainly are - even the values) you expect top service and you have a right to expect it? Why? Because the Marriott and Hilton will be happy to take your business and will happily reserve you a king, connecting, double queen whatever the heck you want (if available at the TIME OF BOOKING) and if some unforseen disaster arises - guess what? They COMP YOU!! They don't say listen you're lucky you're here smile and deal with it - this is the happiest place on earth.

Now, I love Disney. We have APs and we go frequently and for the most part it's wonderful. I read posts about rude CMs and you know what? I have yet to find one (well other than the guy at WL - he had that apathy about him - still not "rude" - just didn't give a rip). I have seen MANY rude guests, but the CMs are so awesome. Case in point - one in DHS traded pins with my son on Monday, then translated the Chinese for him and then drew him a "tattoo" on his arm with his name. THAT is the kind of service Disney is known for - that's what makes people want to return and frankly that's why people will spend more money than they would for something comparable... So, they really do need to retain this focus... If they don't they will eventually lose business. People will still see the mouse - they'll just stay elsewhere. DDP isn't what it was and frankly we never use EMH so if we received poor service at the resorts we'd simply stay elsewhere - either that or drive the 30 minutes home! ;)

Actually, that's what I told Guest Svcs... I said I was celebrating my anniversary and I wasn't about to do it in a separate bed - I'd just cancel it all and stay in my own very comfy bed at home. ;) I was fine with going back to CSR - we love it there... Although, we had a bad experience with that too - but not the resort's fault - nasty neighbors... yelling, partying, fighting... I finally called the desk at 2 or 3 and they sent security up - can't ask for more than that... Although... I had that happen once at a Marriott a few years ago and they comped my night... Oh and due to service like that - we almost exclusively stay at Marriott properties... Really, it's the service that sets you apart and it's even more critical in an economy like we have today.

I think these guests have every right to expect the room they were promised - misinformation or not. I also think Disney needs to revamp their ressie system. Other hotels have had better systems forever - certainly Disney can come up with a more workable system. Excusing it will change nothing. Oh and another thing - with the booking the room at the time of the ressie (i.e. bed size, connecting etc...) you can more easily assign the rooms - you have a "plan". If a guest wants to extend their stay then a room has to be available - if not they'll have to move resorts. That simple. It's no different than making a reservation - if the room is reserved by someone else already they should take precendence. It's not rocket science.

1) You are guaranteed a room, not
. . . not location of room
. . . not type of room
. . . not a view
. . . not connecting rooms
. . . not adjacent rooms
. . . not king rooms
. . . not bunk rooms
. . . not name of resort (GF, Pop, etc)
. . . not type of resort (Value, Mod, Deluxe)
2) REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE RESSIE SAYS, these are not guaranteed.

3) I have seen people
. . . bumped from actual suites they reserved
. . . bumped from the resort they reserved
4) The folks might complain loudly, but it did not good.
I thought some things like views and location (if it's a Club Level reservation) are guaranteed? For example this August my family and I have a reservation for the Magic Kingdom View, on the Atrium Club Level at the Contemporary. So when we check-in we already know our room will be on the 12th floor and will be getting the Magic Kingdom View, since that's what our confirmation says and what we booked when the reservation was made online through the Walt Disney World website. Anyway I think its fair that's what we should expect when we check-in and nothing less that, plus I am sure anyone else with reservations like that would agree with me.

I'm going to throw in my $.02, not that it probably matters a whole lot but I do feel really annoyed for the OP, especially after she posted how old her kids are.

If you book a room either through CRO or their online website, they ask the age of the children. When we get our travel info from Disney every time it has our DS age on it. You would think there would be someone there smart enough to see that there are 2 kids on the reservation clearly not old enough to be in a room by themselves. I think the best way to handle this situation is to stress your kids ages when you make a reservation for connecting rooms. Granted I'm sure that's not going to guarantee anything but come on, it's not rocket science to know that 2 kids under the age of 2 can't stay in a room by themselves. :rotfl2:

This reminds me of a time where I was traveling by airplane with my son who at the time was right around age 2 and they put him like 5 rows in front of me. God forbid the ticketing agent try to take care of it upon check-in. They very swiftly told me to deal with the gate agent. Of course, get down to the gate agent and tell her my son and I are in different rows and she give me the, "Yeah. So what." look. I tell her fine, if someone in that row wants to take care of him while I'm 5 rows behind, they can be my guest but I'm sure the other passengers would not appreciate it. They took care of it, but they acted like they were being hugely inconvenienced. :confused3 :confused3

I , If a guest wants to extend their stay then a room has to be available - if not they'll have to move resorts. That simple. It's no different than making a reservation - if the room is reserved by someone else already they should take precendence. It's not rocket science.
Unfortunately Disney may still be tied down on this. Last I heard, Hawaii is the only state where a hotelier may force a guest out on his check-out date. Now the hotel can charge the rate shown on the back of the room door (maximum allowable) for the "overtime" day(s).

Because the Marriott and Hilton will be happy to take your business and will happily reserve you a king, connecting, double queen whatever the heck you want (if available at the TIME OF BOOKING) and if some unforseen disaster arises - guess what? They COMP YOU!! They don't say listen you're lucky you're here smile and deal with it - this is the happiest place on earth.

Not necessarily true. I was booked in a Marriott, under my dh's platinum status no less, had 2 rooms and wanted them connecting (traveling with 4 minors at the time, one a friend of my dd's). Requested the connecting rooms. Called the hotel directly early in the day of check-in to request the connecting room again. Didn't get it at check in. Sure didn't get any compensation. Knew enough from travelling a lot that sometimes you don't always get what you want and certainly didn't make a fuss about it.

Just to add on to what everyone else has already said i understand request can not be guaranteed such as view, bed type, connecting rooms, but for Disney not to be able to guarantee you the resort dosnt seem logical. If thats the case what am i paying for anyway. If I book at say AKL and get moved to Pop i better be getting money back. I'm just glad I've never had trouble booking a room. Although it does seem like some CM are better trained than others at taker ressies.

Boy, some of you were a bit harsh to the OP. I have been going to disney for years and was always told that the only way they can guarantee connecting rooms was if children were in the family group. And quite frankly I would not expect the average disney visitor to see "connecting rooms guar" on the ressie and KNOW that a guarantee is not "really" a guarantee.

Its not really rocket science to block out connecting rooms. I can understand that the issue of the king bed might be difficult, but connecting rooms with toddlers? If disney prints out a confirmation with a guarantee printed on the front then they should honor it. If they can't honor it they should not print it on the confirmation. I love disney as much as anyone but it always amazes me how some posters refuse to find any fault with the company, under any circumstances. :)

Just to add on to what everyone else has already said i understand request can not be guaranteed such as view, bed type, connecting rooms, but for Disney not to be able to guarantee you the resort dosnt seem logical. If thats the case what am i paying for anyway. If I book at say AKL and get moved to Pop i better be getting money back. I'm just glad I've never had trouble booking a room. Although it does seem like some CM are better trained than others at taker ressies.

They would have to compensate you! I recently stayed in the Allstar family suites and my room carpet was wet when we checked in. It was not dry after an entire day of carpet dryers and great inconvience. They offered me a free "upgrade" to POR (one room, one bathroom...no I don't think so!) two standard allstar rooms, or a credit for the nights stay. I chose the later and felt adequately compensated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter