• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Gty?

Thanks! So in the post where people are talking about getting their GTY room assignments, that means they got their final paperwork with their cabin number? I booked a cruise online and received a room number. Will that not necessarily be my cabin? Thank you!

Those who book GTY are guaranteed a cabin at that category or higher. They do not receive their cabin number at booking.

They get their cabin numbers closer to the cruise.

Booking GTY often means you pay a little less but has the perks of sometimes getting a little bit more (by getting upgraded).

You didn't book a GTY which is why you got your cabin number right away.

HTH.

I didn't book a GTY on purpose for our Eastbound Repo next year,thats what we ended up with. But at least we're on the boat.

What's commonly done is a say a family of 4 books a GTY Cat. 12 stateroom. There's only room for 3, so,you'll at least get upgraded to a Cat. 11 for the price of a Cat. 12

Booking a GTY doesn't really mean that you pay less but it DOES improve your odds for a free upgrade. You are guaranteed to get at LEAST the category that you paid for. It usually happens first on the categories that don't have as many cabins as some of the others (on DCL that would be the Cat 12's & Cat 8's to name a couple). Cruiselines will oversell a category knowing that when the final balance is due there will be a certain percentage of people who back out. But once a category gets down to nothing, they will still sell you a room & if they have one available in that category then that's what you get. If they don't have one for you then they'll bump you up to the first one that they DO have an opening in without charging you for the difference. The downside is that you have no say in where you are on the ship (aft or fwd or what deck etc.)

We booked a GTY Cat. 8 on our first cruise knowing that IF we got lucky enough to get an upgrade we'd get moved into a balcony category! We were sent a cabin assignment (a Cat. 8) like about a month before we sailed. I was bummed, but figured "Oh Well it was worth a shot". THEN, exactly 2 weeks before we sailed I got a voicemail on my cell phone telling me that we'd been upgraded and giving me a Cat. 6 cabin number to put on our luggage tags!! All we had to do was cross out the old one!! :woohoo: It was one of the Aft Cat. 6's with the solid wall verandah on deck 5 - but we were so excited! (It was on the '05 West Coast cruise and I didn't care WHERE it was - we got a free balcony which was at the time worth about $1,500 in upgrades for the 3 of us!) I would book a GTY again if I ran across one - esp. a Cat. 8!:thumbsup2 I've read here on the boards several times where people book a GTY 11 or 12 (which are inside staterooms) and they get upgraded to Cat. 9's (with a porthole)! Cat. 12's only hold 3 people but they let families of 4 book them - they will automatically get bumped up to at least a Cat. 11. We wouldn't book a GTY 12 tho 'cuz we're only 3 ppl and that's probably where they'd leave us!:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter