GTY Assigned a HA Cabin...

shburks

DIS Veteran
Is there anything we can do? We do not need or desire a handicapped accessible cabin.

I wouldn't think so. That's the whole point of a GTY rate. To offload cabins no one is willing to pay for to people who are willing to gamble a bit and end up with a little but less than desirable cabin. But it never hurts to ask.

I wouldn't think so. That's the whole point of a GTY rate. To offload cabins no one is willing to pay for to people who are willing to gamble a bit and end up with a little but less than desirable cabin. But it never hurts to ask.

I know...and I doubt there's anything we can do. Concerned about the lack of a split bath and no tub for my son.

The HA rooms are huge though. Our friends got assigned one and it was twice the size of a regular room. Might be nice to trade the split bath for the extra room.

Last edited:

This happened to us and I was initially actually quite bent out of shape about it because of the tub situation. But fellow disers assured me that I would LOVE the cabin, and that the extra space is amazing! And it was! I would request one if I could (but never would, seeing as we are not disabled.) My kids learned to handle the shower. The little one would just stand there and I would rinse her hair/body with a cup. To answer your question--I don't think you can do anything. I called in a very assertive manner but the CMs stood firm that they could not change it.

This happened to us and I was initially actually quite bent out of shape about it because of the tub situation. But fellow disers assured me that I would LOVE the cabin, and that the extra space is amazing! And it was! I would request one if I could (but never would, seeing as we are not disabled.) My kids learned to handle the shower. The little one would just stand there and I would rinse her hair/body with a cup. To answer your question--I don't think you can do anything. I called in a very assertive manner but the CMs stood firm that they could not change it.

Disappointing to not have the split bath either when you're expecting it especially when you have a boy and need some privacy--no curtain in the cabin, no privacy in the bathroom. I did call and the CM was very nice; there's just not anywhere else to move us to. I can upgrade for $500 but not sure we want to do that. We may check at the port.

we were upgraded once to a ha room and I had the same reservations about wanting it. wasn't sure what to expect. since my reservation was not a gty I thought about saying no but I am so glad I didn't! the room was amazing. yes, it only had one bathroom, not split. no it did not have a curtain I could pull across for privacy. what it did have was an amazing veranda and the room itself was huge. it was hard to go back to a regular room on our next sailing.
go in and give it a try, you may be very surprised and pleased. hope you have an amazing cruise.

we were upgraded once to a ha room and I had the same reservations about wanting it. wasn't sure what to expect. since my reservation was not a gty I thought about saying no but I am so glad I didn't! the room was amazing. yes, it only had one bathroom, not split. no it did not have a curtain I could pull across for privacy. what it did have was an amazing veranda and the room itself was huge. it was hard to go back to a regular room on our next sailing.
go in and give it a try, you may be very surprised and pleased. hope you have an amazing cruise.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think we're going to give it a try. We have an oceanview cabin though (it's a 9A) so no veranda!

I'd be afraid to get a huge room like that :faint: Mostly cause I have claustrophilia :worried:

We booked GTY on the Dream and not only did we get a handicapped cabin - but a sideways one (cabin 2535.) I'm really upset about it and disappointed about no tub and just a drain on the floor. And, I just read it has a raised toilet. And to cap it off, as I posted in another thread, it shares a wall with elevators. Looks like we're off to a great start - ha ha!

Anybody have Dream or Fantasy pictures of a handicapped/sideways cabin?

We had 2 cabins on our last cruise. One 4b GTY was assigned a HA room. It had a double wide verandah but the room was double wide. It was huge!! I thought the bathroom would be a problem but we loved the extra space. We didn't need a tub so I can see why that may be an issue but the space will most likely be appreciated!

We booked a 9A GTY a couple of years ago and were also assigned a HA room. We paid to upgrade but our upgrade was less than $100. If I were in your situation and the upgrade was $500 then I'm thinking I would just give the HA room a shot.

All the HA cabins we've been in , have had the hand held shower hoses in the bathrooms. So little ones can either stand or sit on a towel while being bathed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter