Grrrrrrrr - how could I be so stupid????

Hilary

There's always something new to learn!
I am kicking myself <b>very</b> hard, but I don't feel any better - I left my handbag in my car whilst I went into our library for 10 minutes this afternoon, and some $%&*^(*(*%$£ smashed the car window and stole it :(

The library is on a combined campus with the primary school, surgery and community hall in a semi-rural area. The car park was deserted, so I parked practically inside the library :rolleyes:, no more than 5 to 10 yards from the door, which was open. I can't believe that we didn't hear the smash! The irony is that I would never leave my bag in the car if I was parking in town or a buitl-up area, but I naiively thought it would be safe there :rolleyes:

Anyway, when I returned to the car, there was glass all over the place and my bag and some shopping had gone. Grrrrrrr :( The shopping was a couple of hand-made items I'd just picked up to give as a Christening present on Sunday - they had been made with the baby's name on, so won't be any use whatsoever to anyone else.

I've just spent a horrible couple of hours going through the rigmarole of notifying the police and getting all my credit cards stopped. Tomorrow I'll have to sort out the hassle of getting the car fixed.

I cannot believe I could have been so stupid! Any pixie dust going spare?

Oh Hilary how annoying! We actually had someone break into our house once and take my bag, and it is such a nightmare sorting it all out.

Even after that, I'm still terrible about remembering to be security concious - I grew up in an era where noone locked their front door, or their car and I hate that we have to worry about these things now.

Bev

Oh Hilary - poor you :(

I've had my car broken into a number of times, once years back when I'd left some Christmas presents on the back seat (how stupid was I?!) - it was so infuriating, like you said about the Christening presents, they wouldn't have been of any use to anyone else, but they were nicked anyway - grrrrrrrr (as you put so succinctly!!).

Here's hoping you have a brilliant weekend to make up for a truly lousy Friday :)

Astrid x

Hilary

Pixie dust on its way. It does annoy you when someone thinks they have a right to help themselves to other peoples things. Such a shame when some of the items were so personal to you. Not to mention the hassle it puts you to.

Hopefully as you discovered this so soon there will have been no chance to use any cards you might have had.

Lets hope they catch the ************ (insert suitable description here).

Let this be a lesson to us all!

Carol

:mad: :mad:

Oh im so so so so sorry,bet its been one hell of a day...:mad:

My brothers wife parked up outside her fathers not so long ago only to pick him up he cant hardly walk so she got out only to walk to the front door, and 2 young lads right in front of her leant into the car and snatched her bag, she chased them, and one of them got away, the other one she caught,he said it wasnt him (like they do) she then proceeded in saying i'm taking you to the police etc, he then said he'll get her bag back, which he did,but empty :mad:

They are cowards.
We got broken into, and they stole my daughters pram, they filled it with our stuff, but taking a babies pram????? i mean they are the lowest of the low.
You must be feeling terrible :rolleyes:

So sorry for you, loads of pixie dust on its way to you...:(

Luv*Hugs
Beth

Oh Hilary - what a horrible end to your week.

BIG {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}.

Oh Hilary - how awful! I know you say you feel stupid - but we all do it, dont beat yourself up over this. {{{{{{{{{{hugs and PD by the Ton!}}}}}}}}}}}}

Lets hope that they get their just desserts pretty soon - what goes round comes around!

I hope you manage to get your car sorted and another present for the Baby - is it all covered on insurance? I know that isn't much consolation but it does help.

..... Oh Hilary, how infuriating and upsetting.
Loads of pixie dust coming your way....... wishing you a better day tomorrow.

Hilary, poor you. Tons of PD and {{{{{{{{{{HUGHS}}}}}}}}}} - sorry {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} - coming your way. Hope you feel a bit better today and that you find another present without too much difficulty. :)

Hilary what can i say - you'll not do that again!! LOL! Sure if you can't laugh, you'd only cry.

Seriously, though, this should be a lesson to all of us. Out of sight, out of mind.

Of course, dear old Tony Blair is telling us that things are getting better. Personally i think he's talking through his -------- A*SE.

jj.........:mad:

Hilary there's nothing that I can really say which will cheer you up at this time, but pd on its way. This person/people are thugs, cowards and every other nasty word that I can think of. What sort of society are we living in when someone could steal a baby's christening pressie or a pram for goodness sake. I am just so sorry. Carolyn

Thanks for all your kind words :)

I'm feeling a bit more philosophical about it this morning, and have nearly got to the end of the list of people to phone to notify about the things that have been taken!

The insurance situation is <b>really</b> annoying me as it basically comes down to a choice:
1) Just claiming for the window to be replaced, ignoring the small amount of damage to the bodywork and forgetting all about the handbag and contents, but keeping my no-claims discount
OR
2) Claiming for repairs to all the damage and the items taken, but paying a higher excess up front and then losing my no-claims discount and ending up paying around £200 more every year in premiums!
No contest really - but what good has it done me by having the insurance? :(

I was 'invited' to take the car to the Auto-Crimes Clinic at the police station this morning, where it was dusted for fingerprints. Now the family all have to be fingerprinted tomorrow for 'elimination purposes'! :eek:

I'm so sorry to hear about this Hilary. It's an absolute nightmare, isn't it. It's bad enough that they've taken stuff and damaged the car, but then it's all the time and inconvenience afterwards as well.

Some lamebrains stole my indicator cover from the side of my car one night. Apparently mine was a "trendy" shape. It only cost a few quid for a new one, but I lost hours taking it to and from the garage to get it sorted out, plus driving around with an indicator missing. Honestly, I'd rather have given them a fiver to get their own :rolleyes:

God they get worse..
My partners brothers just been round he caught some kids knicking, his dust caps for the tyres, they are shiny bluey ones only 3quid,but i mean??? why do they bother, luckily he got them back..:mad:

They'll knick anything lately...grrrrr

Beth x

Hilary,
I'm so sorry to hear about your car and bag,doesn't it make you angry,and your blood boil as well.

My DD age 15 was on her way to a 'sleep over' at her friends in the evening yesterday,she had her ruck sack taken off her by 3 charming youths.The clothes in it myself and DH worked hard to earn the money to buy,and it makes me sick that people just come and take what ever they want through agression and threats.

Hope it feels better today xx

I didn't think I would be the only person to have had something like this happen to me, but I'm amazed at how many of us have experienced this kind of petty (or not so petty?) crime at first hand :(

What a sad reflection on the way things seem to be heading.

Awwww, Hilary, sorry to come so late to this one...that just stinks :(

I had my bag nicked once (in a pub - I know, I don't know what I was doing there either!) and in a way, it's wasn't just the Credit Cards and stuff that needed cancelling that bit the most. It was losing my address book, and my favourite makeup - silly stuff like that - that bothered me the most, the personal items, you know?

I hope something comes of the fingerprints and hope the weekend holds much nicer things in store for you :)

Penny :)

Another latecomer Hilary....but I have an excuse - someone nicked my laptop!!!

Needless to say I know exactly how you feel...that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realise that someone has taken your personal things is truly awful isn't it?

Sending you loads of {{{{hugs}}}} and pixie dust and hoping you get everything sorted out soon (and at minimum cost!)

So sorry to hear this Hilary, I hope everything is sorted out sooner rather than later for you :D

We were staying at a travelodge over the weekend, and DS aged 8 was worried about someone stealing his 'monkey' from the Bear Factory whilst we were out of the room. He said he would leave him 'naked' as an ordinary monkey, as he thought if he had him dressed in his Superman outfit someone might take him.

Maybe I have made them too 'safety concious'! Sad isn't it when an 8 year old thinks like that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter