Grrr...High Grocery Prices

I do like Wal-mart's Savings Catcher program. I've never had time to price-match and clip coupons but this takes no time at all. Just scan the receipt code box and they credit you with anything found on sale for a lower amount at another store. We save enough in a year to get a week's grocery shopping trip free.

AH!!! I need to do this. My sister showed me her "tally" and she has 45.00 bucks already!

I shop at BJ's. I will buy Frozen Chicken Breasts from Tyson which are individually vacuum wrapped. I think the price works out to $ 1.79 per lb. I will buy the Fresh Purdue Chicken Legs at about $0.99 per pound, 12 good sized legs for about $ 10.00. Eggs have come down but I buy a 36 Pack. The costly products are paper which have gone up a lot in the past few years. Bounty Basic 12 Roll pack is now almost $17 and a 36 pack of Scotts Toilet Paper is now $21.00. I always use BJs coupons for Paper Products, Coffee, Laundry Detergent, and cleaning products. I will try to use coupons on anything else when available. I generally save about 10% with coupons and I get 5% cash back with my BJS perk card and 10 cents off a Gallon of gas. I shop every other week and the bill has gone from about $200 per visit to almost $250 in a few years.

I live in Calgary, just like my profile says. Please feel free to have your Canadian cousins corroborate my flyer prices! (ETA: I converted the metric quantities to Imperial so the Americans could more easily make an accurate comparison. For some bizarre reason though, local meat prices are almost always advertised as a per pound price although it's packaged and sold by the kg. :confused3)

Flyer prices; it's debatable whether or not they're really deals or just what's "featured" this week. I don't buy organic milk either but I used that example because it was listed in the flyer. Regular 3% (whole) milk practically never goes on sale and costs about $6/gallon.

Poultry and dairy are both commodities controlled by a national (government) marketing board so the prices are kind of "fixed" for lack of a simpler explanation. Fresh poultry and liquid milk are not permitted to be imported. Sucks for us though.

I remember seeing supermarket flyers in Canada. Yes, for meat and maybe produce, the ads had the price per pound in large print, then in very tiny print the price per kilo. I always supposed many Canadians were reluctant to give up the Imperial system for certain things. So the ads satisfy this desire while also conforming to perhaps a legal requirement.

In Pennsylvania and New Jersey, we always used to have (and maybe still do have) minimum legal prices for milk. No maximum, but stores couldn't sell lower than what the State Big Bosses decreed.

One trick that I'm sure has been mentioned is stocking up when things are on sale.

This week at my local shoprite perdue chicken is on sale for 40% off. I'll stock up on chicken breast (~1.99/lb) and wings (~2.09/lb)
The week before Thanksgiving, Certified Angus Standing rib roast were on sale for 8.99/lbs, we love roast beef but its usually so darn expensive so I got a nice big roast and had them cut it for me into two smaller roast.

center cut pork chops are on sale for 1.99/lb so I'll pick up some of htose also.
The 150 oz tide is on sale for 15.99 and I have a coupon for it so I'll pick one or two of those up. I work in Delaware so I usually buy non perishables on my way home from work. no sales tax.

frozen Jumbo raw shrimp are 6.00 bucks a pound. definitely picking some of those up
Not sure why your broccoli is out of control. there are 99c a crown here.

Last edited:
One trick that I'm sure has been mentioned is stocking up when things are on sale.

This week at my local shoprite perdue chicken is on sale for 40% off. I'll stock up on chicken breast (~1.99/lb) and wings (~2.09/lb)
The week before Thanksgiving, Certified Angus Standing rib roast were on sale for 8.99/lbs, we love roast beef but its usually so darn expensive so I got a nice big roast and had them cut it for me into two smaller roast.

center cut pork chops are on sale for 1.99/lb so I'll pick up some of htose also.
The 150 oz tide is on sale for 15.99 and I have a coupon for it so I'll pick one or two of those up. I work in Delaware so I usually buy non perishables on my way home from work. no sales tax.

frozen Jumbo raw shrimp are 6.00 bucks a pound. definitely picking some of those up
Not sure why your broccoli is out of control. there are 99c a crown here.
I'm movin' in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter