Grr...dryer not working

Eureka

DIS Veteran
Put DS's wet sneakers in the dryer with a towel so they will be dry for camp tomorrow. Have done this before no problem. After 10 minutes, the dryer turns off and won't turn back on. I hear it "ticking" like it does when there are just a few minutes left before it turn off, but the drum won't turn except when we do it manually. I have a repair call in but they can't come until Friday. The dryer is 12 years old, wonder if it will be cheaper (ha!) to buy a new one or to fix. We had to replace the matching washer almost 2 years ago. Sigh...no time, patience, or funds for this right now. Wish I could get it looked at earlier in the week so if I need to buy one, it doesn't have to be on the weekend. At least I can wash some stuff and let it hang dry, right?

So go figure....decided to try turning it on one more time before going to bed, and it turned on! Guess I will have to watch it this week and see how it goes. Will keep the appt for now and cancel Thurs. if it's still working. No more shoes in the dryer though!

In the future, if you need to dry wet shoes, you can stuff them with newspaper. You may have to change the newspaper a couple of times, depending on how wet the shoes are, but they should be dry by morning. You can use washcloths if you don't have old newspapers lying around.

I learned this after a 17 mile marathon training run in the pouring rain. :umbrella:

In the future, if you need to dry wet shoes, you can stuff them with newspaper. You may have to change the newspaper a couple of times, depending on how wet the shoes are, but they should be dry by morning. You can use washcloths if you don't have old newspapers lying around.

I learned this after a 17 mile marathon training run in the pouring rain. :umbrella:

I was skeptical about the newspaper thing working, but after everyone's tennis shoes got pretty wet after a rainy afternoon at MK, I tried it and it does work. By the next morning they were almost if not fully dry. :)

Not sure if this is the problem..... our dryer starts acting up (stops) when the lint filter needs a good cleaning..... ( from using dryer sheets) just last week we had to replace our hose that vents the dryer. It was getting full of lint.

I sorta think when a dryer stops before the cycle is done it is a safety feature as the dryer gets too hot and could start a fire.

I am gonna start looking for an alternative for dryer sheets. maybe that will stop my problem

I was skeptical about the newspaper thing working, but after everyone's tennis shoes got pretty wet after a rainy afternoon at MK, I tried it and it does work. By the next morning they were almost if not fully dry. :)

:thumbsup2

Yeah, I have done the newspaper thing but for some reason last night (probably I was just tired) didn't think of it. Lesson learned!

I cleaned out the lint thing when I was fiddling with it trying to make it work. I think maybe something just got overheated (from the rubber soles?) and had to cool off before it started working again.

Eureka said:
Put DS's wet sneakers in the dryer with a towel so they will be dry for camp tomorrow. Have done this before no problem. After 10 minutes, the dryer turns off and won't turn back on. I hear it "ticking" like it does when there are just a few minutes left before it turn off, but the drum won't turn except when we do it manually. I have a repair call in but they can't come until Friday. The dryer is 12 years old, wonder if it will be cheaper (ha!) to buy a new one or to fix. We had to replace the matching washer almost 2 years ago. Sigh...no time, patience, or funds for this right now. Wish I could get it looked at earlier in the week so if I need to buy one, it doesn't have to be on the weekend. At least I can wash some stuff and let it hang dry, right?

Our dryer did the same thing in March. We were able to get another couple of days of wash out of it before it completely quit. We took it completely apart and cleaned it well. Then we tested the motor and it seemed bad. We bought a new motor through Amazon and thanks to Google and YouTube, dh and I changed the motor for $80. Woo hoo! Thought for sure we were buying a new one. The dryer is almost 10 years old and running on the fifth load of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter