Growing increasingly annoyed with Disney (AP)

You could buy tickets for the time being to make the park reservations and then upgrade them to an AP. That is, assuming they actually follow through and make them available for sale again.
I thought of that but I'll be honest... I wouldn't trust Disney right now as far as I could throw them... not after seeing the prices of "hard ticket events" like the After Hours Christmas event at almost $250 per person. I realize that the ability to upgrade a ticket has always existed but the last thing I want to do is get stuck with a multiday that can't be changed. Do I think they'd do that? No, but... I don't know... I think with the mindset concerning park revenue, right now, handing over your money in any form, expecting to be able to alter anything is a gamble.

I've had an annual pass for well over a decade. If I can renew it, that's my choice. If not, I'd like to know what the alternative is before I give them hundreds more $$. Maybe they'll announce today... or not. We'll know when the powers that be let us know.

They created the reservation system so they know perfectly well what can result for some people... unfortunately that includes me and others who are annual pass dependent. Busy time means fewer park alternatives which is not the ideal.

On the other hand, I was actually at WDW last month... unfortunately, my mother passed away while I was there so it was not the trip it might have been. Was hoping for something better at Thanksgiving, first holiday season without her. But I have to hope that by the time I can renew... if I can renew... and even that's a question now... something will be open.

I thought of that but I'll be honest... I wouldn't trust Disney right now as far as I could throw them... not after seeing the prices of "hard ticket events" like the After Hours Christmas event at almost $250 per person. I realize that the ability to upgrade a ticket has always existed but the last thing I want to do is get stuck with a multiday that can't be changed. Do I think they'd do that? No, but... I don't know... I think with the mindset concerning park revenue, right now, handing over your money in any form, expecting to be able to alter anything is a gamble.

I've had an annual pass for well over a decade. If I can renew it, that's my choice. If not, I'd like to know what the alternative is before I give them hundreds more $$. Maybe they'll announce today... or not. We'll know when the powers that be let us know.

They created the reservation system so they know perfectly well what can result for some people... unfortunately that includes me and others who are annual pass dependent. Busy time means fewer park alternatives which is not the ideal.

On the other hand, I was actually at WDW last month... unfortunately, my mother passed away while I was there so it was not the trip it might have been. Was hoping for something better at Thanksgiving, first holiday season without her. But I have to hope that by the time I can renew... if I can renew... and even that's a question now... something will be open.
So sorry for your loss.

I'm going to go ahead and call as soon as I get a break here and see if they'll let me early-renew. If there's one thing Disney is consistent about, it's being inconsistent with things like this. Sometimes it just depends on which agent you happen to get.

UPDATE:

I just called and they let me purchase 3 renewal vouchers because I had a booking for next April.

I suggest calling member services back and just ask again. I'd even give it a couple more attempts. I've had this same experience many times before -- being told one thing, calling again, and being told the exact opposite.

As a nice side-node, there was ZERO hold time. I'm so used to hearing the staticy beauty and the beast, soarin, and pirates soundtracks that I almost jumped when a human picked up right away.

UPDATE:

I just called and they let me purchase 3 renewal vouchers because I had a booking for next April.

I suggest calling member services back and just ask again. I'd even give it a couple more attempts. I've had this same experience many times before -- being told one thing, calling again, and being told the exact opposite.

As a nice side-node, there was ZERO hold time. I'm so used to hearing the staticy beauty and the beast, soarin, and pirates soundtracks that I almost jumped when a human picked up right away.
Zero wait time.

Zero renewal. To quote "Amber": no, you have to wait until exactly two months prior to expiration... they are very strict about that. Sorry."

This isn't the first call I've made... I must just be lucky.... not. Seriously, I'm done.

Zero wait time.

Zero renewal. To quote "Amber": no, you have to wait until exactly two months prior to expiration... they are very strict about that. Sorry."

This isn't the first call I've made... I must just be lucky.... not. Seriously, I'm done.

Wow, so sorry. That's crazy. I SWEAR they JUST let me do it. I guess you have to be lucky enough to get an agent that didn't read this morning's memo yet.

Again, sorry for your bad luck. I wish I could help!

That policy makes no sense while when park reservations are required and can be made 12 months out.

ETA: Just checked park reservation availability and both MK and HS are not available Nov 21 to 25.
Disney's policy seems like it will be difficult to get multiple trips where you can visit the parks of your choice if you are renewing an AP.

Last edited:

Wow, so sorry. That's crazy. I SWEAR they JUST let me do it. I guess you have to be lucky enough to get an agent that didn't read this morning's memo yet.

Again, sorry for your bad luck. I wish I could help!
I believe you.

"Amber" was adamant it was not allowed... offered me the phone number for "ticketing" so I could call them and they could tell me the same thing, that it was not allowed... then essentially she said people who insisted they were allowed to do this were "liars"... not her word, but that was the gist of it.

So I am really done... not going there again.

I guess the silver lining here is that they're probably about to go back on sale again if they're not allowing this exception any longer. That's the only reason I could imagine for this sudden change. And considering today is also the day when free magic bands for AP's are discontinued, that seems like a reasonable conclusion. Hopefully an announcement is coming soon and will not carry a price increase with it.

I’m waiting till the last minute. I have maybe $8k in tickets from the past that I’m saving up (a gazillion 5 days and one rare 10 day no expire plus water park from almost a decade ago!). I don’t want to use those… but I’m able to book park ressies with them.
When oh when will APs come back???

I’m waiting till the last minute. I have maybe $8k in tickets from the past that I’m saving up (a gazillion 5 days and one rare 10 day no expire plus water park from almost a decade ago!). I don’t want to use those… but I’m able to book park ressies with them.
When oh when will APs come back???
I'm waiting too, I want to purchase a new Annual Gold Pass, before Sept. 13th.

Had to update:

I sent an email to member services yesterday after several failed attempts by phone, asking why, if others had been allowed to renew their gold passes early because they had a reservation, why was I being told no on the phone. Explained it was to make park reservations, etc. Got an email response today saying I could renew and to just call MS and ask. Well, I have to admit to being somewhat dubious... and waited over 20 minutes to speak to a CM, but he did it, no questions asked!! I almost heard the angels singing LOL

So I was able to link the renewal ticket and make my park reservations... and bought a ticket for the After Hours Christmas party. I'm now completely broke but happy :cloud9:

Thanks for all your encouragement and telling me to hang in... you guys are the best! :love:

Had to update:

I sent an email to member services yesterday after several failed attempts by phone, asking why, if others had been allowed to renew their gold passes early because they had a reservation, why was I being told no on the phone. Explained it was to make park reservations, etc. Got an email response today saying I could renew and to just call MS and ask. Well, I have to admit to being somewhat dubious... and waited over 20 minutes to speak to a CM, but he did it, no questions asked!! I almost heard the angels singing LOL

So I was able to link the renewal ticket and make my park reservations... and bought a ticket for the After Hours Christmas party. I'm now completely broke but happy :cloud9:

Thanks for all your encouragement and telling me to hang in... you guys are the best! :love:
I'm glad you stuck with it! I understand the frustration of being rejected multiple times, but the relief when you FINALLY get it done is always worth it. I wouldn't have suggested the retries if I didn't think it would come through for you.

Nevertheless, congrats again!

EDIT: Fun caveat - I went to link my 3 AP renewal code, and ONE linked, the other 2 "failed". I had to call support and they did it for me on the phone, no problem, but it was yet another element of fun. The things we disney fans will put up with..... Literally no other company would get away with this :laughing: , but here we are, back for more every time!

Just an FYI

They are no longer doing this... called this morning.

My pass expires Nov. 11 and I have a reservation over Thanksgiving weekend. I wanted to renew so I could make park reservations. Nope. Used to do this but they stopped it. I am so screwed!! :sad1:
No, you are not out of luck. I don't know if you are a DVC member, but if you are email member services and they will help.

I have a reservation for October and my pass expires in September. When it was time to make park reservations, i couldn't because I did not have park admission for October and so I had to buy 6 day tix.

Member services was able to help because they put notes on my account that would allow me to renew my current pass with the value of the 6 day tix (pay the difference).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter