Group of 8 with matching shirts worth it?

I do a lot of the 'custom' t's for our trips. It's not done to get anything. I like doing them and the kids & DH like them too.

We have quite a few matching sets, including the mickey head tie-dyes someone posted and I did the swirled mickey heads for my girls and I also did a bleach mickey head set for all of us. It's similar to the swirled ones but you cut out the whole mickey head from cardboard and place it in the middle of the colored t and spray beach all around the front of the shirt. Leaves the mickey head the original t color and the rest of the shirt lighter. Although black t's turn brownish when bleached.

There is an entire sub-board here on the DIS where people do custom disigns. On the main page scroll nearly to the bottom and you'll see the Creative Disigns board.

Here are a few we did that are matching:

th_IMG_2487.jpg

front
th_IMG_2668.jpg

back
th_IMG_2669.jpg

th_IMG_2524.jpg

th_IMG_2304.jpg

back
th_IMG_2309.jpg

all the fronts were different but all the same 'theme'
th_IMG_2310.jpg

I second the DISign boards. They do awesome work.

We always wear matching shirts at least once during our trips. DH has no problem with it, but my brother felt akward the first time but was fine with it later. I think it makes for some cute pictures when everyone is wearing matching shirts.:cloud9:

We're a group of 9 going this year and we're celebrating 2 birthdays while we're there. I absolutely made our group t-shirts!! We'll likely wear them at least twice while we're there. I actually got the iron on patter from one of the DISers! I even made my girlfriend a shirt for her birthday (our first day there as a surprise) and my sons their Star Wars shirts. I didn't do it for attention - more for our "group photo" than anything - and cuz it's fun! :thumbsup2

We used this strategy on our first trip and found it to be helpful. Not only could we spot each other easily in a crowd, but it was easier for OTHERS to see that we belonged together. I could separate from my husband and kids to park the stroller, and re-join them without difficulty. People were happy to let me scoot up to meet them in line--especially because it was obvious we were together, I think. Have fun with it! :thumbsup2

We used this strategy on our first trip and found it to be helpful. Not only could we spot each other easily in a crowd, but it was easier for OTHERS to see that we belonged together. I could separate from my husband and kids to park the stroller, and re-join them without difficulty. People were happy to let me scoot up to meet them in line--especially because it was obvious we were together, I think. Have fun with it! :thumbsup2

front
IMG_2668.jpg

back
IMG_2669.jpg

Where did you find the design to make this shirt? I would love to wear this on my shirt.

We've made matching shirts and also bought matching (semi matching) shirts from the local Disney stores. I found, with a larger group, you not only got some attention, but it was easier to keep track of everyone!!!

We had the girls in pink and the guys in blue one day, and it was so easy to just turn and look for the right shirt to keep up with everyone. We will do it again next May.

We don't exactly match, however, we all wear some sort of Disney themed shirt each day. For example, we all wear a Mickey themed shirt the day we're in MK. I love doing it for the pictures!

delmar 411:
I got the paints at Michael's, and I believe they are Tulip brand. About $7 a bottle here in NY. [Maybe they are available online somewhere.] They had TONS of colors. I went with turquoise, purple, fuschia and orange, and really didn't put much of the fuschia on the boys'. They have dark colors, and really soft colors, as well. I've only ever used white shirts.

delmar 411:
I got the paints at Michael's, and I believe they are Tulip brand. About $7 a bottle here in NY. [Maybe they are available online somewhere.] They had TONS of colors. I went with turquoise, purple, fuschia and orange, and really didn't put much of the fuschia on the boys'. They have dark colors, and really soft colors, as well. I've only ever used white shirts.

Thanks! I'll have to check those paints out. :goodvibes

front
IMG_2668.jpg

back
IMG_2669.jpg

Where did you find the design to make this shirt? I would love to wear this on my shirt.

There was a girl down on the Creative Disigns board who was doing these shirts, futureimagineer (I believe that's who was doing them) but she stopped doing them before she got ours done. So I took one of her blanks and spent about 8hrs making the check list for our family and figuring out the checklist 'title'. I used paintshop pro and obviously I don't know how to work it very well or else it wouldn't of taken me 8hrs! :laughing:

But if she has returned, I'm sure she could make one or if she hasn't then I can post the blank down in that board and someone should be able to personalize it for you.

Here's the family checklist blank if anyone wants it for self-customizing or for asking someone on the Creative Disign's board to do it.

Checklist.jpg

We made these and wore them on one trip. They were easy to make and a lot of CM's told the kids how much they liked them. My husband was even willing to wear one. These are the kid's:

Photos006.jpg

we are matching shirt wearers... we love it... we often get a little extra attention from cast members... it also makes it easy to find one another... we have fun pre-trip planning which shirts we want, gathering designs to make our own, and surprising each other with shirts or shirt ideas... imo it's the way to go! :)

Yes wearing matching shirts isn't done to gain something, it is done in fun.

We do it every trip, just once on the day we "celebrate" something. Since it is just DH and I it isn't a big deal. DH loves to do it, says it is something "kids" do and there is no better place to do it than at WDW.
Our tradition is on arrival day head to DTD and make them there. It is fun to just do that.

So if your party isn't thrilled and you are just doing it to gain attention then it propably won't be worth it.
If you are doing it because it is Disney and you can alrighty then, make them put the shirts on. They'll get into it...eventually.

Have fun.

you can *make* shirts at DTD?! tell me more...

100_4654.jpg

Matching shirts are so much fun. I am looking forward to making more for this trip. I am thinking castle cutouts for the girls and mouse ears again, for the boys!

It is just fun. No free beverages, or getting moved to the front of the line, mind you. Just lots of comments. HOWEVER, be prepared to explain 200 times how you made them!

UGH - the date on the picture is wrong!!! It was 11/07
Thanks for the post with the directions for the 200+... time :) Thanks

Oh and my 2 Cents worth on the shirst is:

* they are fun
* it is a great help to keeping track of where the memebers of your group are
Mostly if your all in the same color.

pick bold colors they stand out more are seen betther than Dark colors like Grey/blacks/dark blue...

we have family mathcing shirts and we wear them at least on day of the trip
and when we go its normaly 11 or 12 people in our group even the family friends that come down wear a family shirt that day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter