Ground floor - like it or not?

We always request ground floor but have never been able to get it. We get to the resort between 7 and 8 am and we were told that they honor requests in the order that people check in but we still haven't been able to get it. I know that it is supposed to help your chances if you tell them why you need ground floor and it is a really good reason. You might think if there is any other reason you would need the ground floor besides strollers b/c they could just put you in a room close to an elevator. What is funny is that we alway request ground floor and are always given top floor. Maybe I should have requested top floor this year :rotfl2:
Good luck.

We requested, and received, ground floor for all the rooms in our grandgathering party last year at CBR. CBR does not have an elevator, making ground floor a necessity for our group. One family in our party had a double stroller and another member of our party uses a scooter.

Ground floor for us, :worship:it just makes it so much easier after a long day in the park. Look at it this way, if you go to Blizzard Beach, and stay there the whole day, you walk from the bottom to the top its around 168 steps one way.:eek: Do this about 5 to 6 times, :laughing: You get all the exercise you need.:rotfl2:

Last August stayed at CBR for the first time. Requested the second floor corner room and got it no problem. I like the second floor it's much quieter and I feel better about not opening the door and seeing all the "Little Lizard's" hopping around. We did see a few on the stairs, but not as many as on the ground floor. Enjoy.:cool1:

Hi,

I never thought about which floor to be on till this past trip. We stayed at CSR on the ground floor. Our room faced the parking lot where we could see our bus stop. It was so nice and easy to come out our door and be right at the parking lot so we wouldn't miss the bus. Also, my daughter is a riot. She will walk around the parks, up the stairs at BB but she will complain to walk up a flight of stairs or two no matter what time of the day.:rotfl2:

We had a ground floor room at the YC and did not like it. We overlooked the little "swamp" between YC and the Swan/Dolphin. It felt like we were in the basement, dark and dingy. :-( And we were right close to all the "meeting rooms" which we werent thrilled with either...

It depends on where I'm staying. I always ask for (and have received) ground floor, facing a courtyard at CBR, if I'm at a deluxe, I want a balcony rather than a patio, and I usually ask for an upper floor at the values.

We like ground floor rooms because we can walk directly to/from it. We stay in mod. or value resorts and they only have 1 elevator per building. As far as I know, you can not request ground floor when you book on line but you can when you do on line check-in. We always call and have it as a request.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

To answer the question about when to request it....call DRC/CRO and ask for the request to be added to your reservation.

When I've used online checkin, there was no place to add a request like that. Instead it was things like pack n play, refrigerator, etc.. I suppose that may have changed.:confused3

Totally agree for same reason!!! Especially love the ground floors at the Polynesian. Last stay there were able to walk out our patio door driectly to "quiet pool". Was wonderful! DD WILL NOT stay in a ground floor room. She's afraid her will "escape"!:tink:

Do the patio doors lock from the outside or are you leaving them unlocked while you are at the pool? I always wondered about this because it looks so convenient to do this.

Do the patio doors lock from the outside or are you leaving them unlocked while you are at the pool? I always wondered about this because it looks so convenient to do this.

They do not lock from the outside. One of us always walks through the longhouse to lock/unlock the door.

as smokers, we like ground floor or 2nd floor. ground floor is quicker to get to the DSA, but on the 2nd floor, it feels kinda like a balcony (at the value or moderates). to us, one flight of stairs is nothing. but we don't like to wait for an elevator.
since they changed the smoking rules, we have only stayed at one deluxe resort. BWV. we got a gound floor, eventhough we didn't request it. It was very convenient to 2 DSAs, but, as a PP stated, I really wanted a balcony, not a patio. oh well.
we'll be a beach club villas in july, and I'm kinda hoping for a balcony. if it's a long walk to the elevator, and then, the DSA, maybe we'll smoke less!

You will definately smoke less, during my trip last year to WDW I went from a pack and half a day to a half pack average due to the trip at the resort to the DSA and finding the DSA in the parks. Not going to have that problem this trip, I quit in October :thumbsup2

We stay at CBR and have stayed both ground and 2nd level. I prefered the lower floor b/c by the time we got back from the parks our legs were killing us and walking up another flight of stairs was like - ugh! But it wasn't bad enough that I asked to be moved. I didn't think that they really listened to room requests anymore. Well they didn't listen to ours anyway we asked for a different building that we didn't get. But again no biggie we were happy. I know nothing is a guarantee.
:happytv::cheer2:

I have to have ground floor. My dad had a stroke last year and can not walk steps very well. The year before his stroke we stayed at all star movies. It was nice but our room was in the mighty ducks building on the 3rd floor. All the way at the end of the hall where the elevator was at the other end of the long hall. This year we requested a ground floor staying at the all star music this year.

We have stayed ground floor a couple of times. At POP we were right beside the "computer" pool. It was great! We had our 1 year old grandson with us. we were able to snag a poolside table with umbrella and set up the pack and play right outside our door! He loved it and we were able to enjoy the pool area with close proximity to our room.

One other time we had a ground floor room at VWL. It was during a hurricane so they "sandbagged" around our patio door. The actual patio was about ankle deep in water so we really couldn't enjoy it much. :rotfl:

I don't care what floor at stay in.

Although CSR is my new favorite resort, that that only has one floor. :confused3

We like the ground floor so we can avoid the elevator. We have three kids six and under and there is always a debate on who can press what button. We keep track and go in order so it is fair but after a long day who wants to have the elevator button conversation???

The only exception was when we stayed at CR. We requested an upper floor a great view!

We love the ground floor (at the Poly). Normally, at the beach, we like a high floor for the view. But the convenience of the ground floor at Disney is great. Key is to be in a quiet area - no walkway right outside the door. For us, we've found the east side of Tokelau is perfect. First 2 trips, at least one of the kids napped. With the patio, DH and I could take turns leaving and going for a snack, or just a walk, without disturbing the sleepers. The patio opens onto grassy areas, which makes us feel like we have more space for the week - 4 people in a hotel room is tight when you're used to beach condos! My son also just loves playing with/chasing the lizards outside, this occupied him while DD slept or I got ready, etc. We'll be requesting first floor again next year, even though we won't have nappers anymore!

We had ground floor 2 trips ago when we wwent with my parents & Sister's family.It made it easier for Mom & Dad. An added plus was one morning during a rain storm we had ducks right outside our window:) When it is just DH & I we don't have a preference

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter