Groom Cakes through Disney?

The R2D2 cake was AlecsPrincess'. I think DonaldsGirl is a friend of hers and posted the pictures for her.

As I recall, the meal was at Jiko, so that would have been Animal Kingdom Lodge's bakery.

What kind of recourse do you have if your cake shows up like this? If that had been me, I would have flipped! I understand not being able to replicate a photo exactly - but *I* could have made a better R2D2 cake. I mean the details that they attempted are horribly executed. Could you rfuse to pay for the cake? I feel you would have had a pretty good argument.

Yes! People on the Official Cake Chatter Thread have complained about the occasional horribly executed (or late or never-delivered) cakes at the restaurant and had the charge taken off the bill. :thumbsup2

That's good to know. My partner and I are planning our commitment ceremony at the Disneyland resort and that photo made me nervous lol (not that I'm planning an R2D2 cake :) )

Yeah, this was my surprise groom’s cake for my DH. He thankfully didn’t know at the time what it was SUPPOSED to look like, but I was so disappointed when I saw it. It was our rehearsal dinner, so I didn’t want to be too upset about it, but when I got back home and compared the pictures, I was devastated at what I paid for. It looked like a 2-year-old put it together. I wish I had known Mikkel at the time of my wedding, because I’m sure she would have done an amazing job. I just couldn’t believe Disney could make such a piece of crap and display it as their work. :(

Oh my goodness. That really is about the worst cake I have ever seen. It looks like a mom who is not very good at cake decorating made it for her 4 yo. I don't mean to make you feel worse! :hug: Did you complain? I am just really upset for you!

The cake was from the GF bakery. They charged me a delivery charge of $75 to bring it to Jiko. If I’d known at the time I could get the cake from AK bakery, I would have done that and not paid the delivery charge!

Yes, I did complain to my planner after the wedding/honeymoon. I never heard anything back. At the time, I was just so excited that I was at my rehearsal dinner and my wedding was the next day, that honestly, I didn’t really notice while I was there. I was just too excited. My DH never knew the difference. It really struck me when I came home and compared the pictures to what I sent and what I got, when I was horrified. That’s when I talked to my planner, and she said she would talk to the bakery, etc. Nothing ever came of it, but I just like to look at is as an experience. My guests and my DH were happy at the time when the cake came because they didn’t know what it was supposed to look like. I’m done with it, but I just wanted to warn others. :goodvibes I’ll never get a cake from them again, I’ll probably go through Mikkel if I ever need a cake again.

Whoa! I cannot believe that cake came from the GF Bakery - and I'm so sorry they never did anything for you after you complained! :hug: I woulda been raising holy heck!

Whoa! I cannot believe that cake came from the GF Bakery - and I'm so sorry they never did anything for you after you complained! :hug: I woulda been raising holy heck!

Haha, I probably should have! I was just over it by the time I realized how bad it was!

Ours was not made through the Disney bakery, Mikkel made ours. It was tasted amazing and it was just how we wanted it. We were very happy with the result.

This is the original picture we gave her:
Untitled_2008101614411000.jpg

and this was the final result:
ec7a2ed4.jpg

8f2842b4.jpg

and this is the little guy we added:
DSCN3069.jpg

The cake was from the GF bakery. They charged me a delivery charge of $75 to bring it to Jiko. If I’d known at the time I could get the cake from AK bakery, I would have done that and not paid the delivery charge!

Yes, I did complain to my planner after the wedding/honeymoon. I never heard anything back. At the time, I was just so excited that I was at my rehearsal dinner and my wedding was the next day, that honestly, I didn’t really notice while I was there. I was just too excited. My DH never knew the difference. It really struck me when I came home and compared the pictures to what I sent and what I got, when I was horrified. That’s when I talked to my planner, and she said she would talk to the bakery, etc. Nothing ever came of it, but I just like to look at is as an experience. My guests and my DH were happy at the time when the cake came because they didn’t know what it was supposed to look like. I’m done with it, but I just wanted to warn others. :goodvibes I’ll never get a cake from them again, I’ll probably go through Mikkel if I ever need a cake again.

WHOA!! That cake most definately did not come from the GF Bakery! The GF Bakery has made several R2D2 cakes with great attention to detail, and with complete guest satisfaction. Please pvt message me with your event date. I'd like to find out who did do this.

Sorry folks, I made a mistake on where it was made.

I looked back at my BEO and have seen that the cake was made at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Weird. :headache::headache:

I didn't even realize it until now. Not that it matters, since my wedding was last December!

I had specifically spoken to my planner about making the cake at the GF Bakery. I didn't even notice that when going over the BEO (we all know how overwhelming they can be! :goodvibes ). All I looked for when confirming the cake was that it said, "To look like R2D2 Robot as in photo emailed to Andreas on 8/19/08.", which it does. If they couldn't have made it look like the photo, they should have told me so.

Sorry for the confusion! :goodvibes

Oh wow awesome cakes!! Mikkel could you PM me I would love to have a grooms cake made for my DF our wedding is not at Disney but our honeymoon will be!! He is a huge GA Bulldog fan and since we now live in Arkansas none of our bakeries can do a GA cake so I wanted one made for our honeymoon!!!

I looked back at my BEO and have seen that the cake was made at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Weird. :headache::headache:

I didn't even realize it until now. Not that it matters, since my wedding was last December!

I had specifically spoken to my planner about making the cake at the GF Bakery. I didn't even notice that when going over the BEO (we all know how overwhelming they can be! :goodvibes ). All I looked for when confirming the cake was that it said, "To look like R2D2 Robot as in photo emailed to Andreas on 8/19/08.", which it does. If they couldn't have made it look like the photo, they should have told me so.

:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

So just the simple fact that it wasn't made at the GF makes it all OK??? :scared1: It's still a totally crappy cake that the bride paid good money for!! :headache: Her request for the bakery where the cake was to be made was NOT addressed, and let's face it....that cake looks NOTHING like the picture!! It was still a "cake" made by a Disney bakery and those "in the know" should take note that the customer was not happy and that cakes like that disaster can and are made at Disney.

So just the simple fact that it wasn't made at the GF makes it all OK??? :scared1: It's still a totally crappy cake that the bride paid good money for!! :headache: Her request for the bakery where the cake was to be made was NOT addressed, and let's face it....that cake looks NOTHING like the picture!! It was still a "cake" made by a Disney bakery and those "in the know" should take note that the customer was not happy and that cakes like that disaster can and are made at Disney.

Clarification was my only intent, complete event dissection and "addressing" the issue was not. The bride should be compensated for the poor cake she received, no matter which bakery made it. But just as if you purchased a bad product at a store, it is up to the customer to demand a refund. She has the proof in photo's to back her up.

I personally posses no magic WDW wand to make it all better. I don't even work there, but have friends who do.

Does this one bad cake reflect upon the hundreds of cakes made weekly at WDW, by no means. Does this one unfortunate guests experience overshadow the hundreds of positive postings on this board, or the thousands who do not post on the net, but walk away completely happy? No. Does this one single cake made at that shop reflect all of their work? Again, no.

Might I quote a Jackson 5 song, "one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl". Mistakes will happen, and the proper recourse is a refund.

I believe it is safe to say that the skill level of cake decorators in both Florida and Indiana are the same as the rest of the country, some good, some not. To err is human, yada yada................

Maybe those who are uninvolved, and are quick to be defensive, should take this into account. :ssst:

Maybe those who are uninvolved, and are quick to be defensive, should take this into account. :ssst:

Yes....as you pointed out YOU don't work at the GF bakery...yet you were absolutely certain that the cake had not been made there. You should take your own advice, as you yourself are uninvolved...yet quick to be defensive of the quality of cakes from GF. All it takes is 1 displeased customer.

Yes....as you pointed out YOU don't work at the GF bakery...yet you were absolutely certain that the cake had not been made there. You should take your own advice, as you yourself are uninvolved...yet quick to be defensive of the quality of cakes from GF. All it takes is 1 displeased customer.

Read the post again.

Having friends who do work there, and knowing the quality of product that is produced there, makes me involved. Have YOU been privvy to photo's of the hundreds (yes HUNDREDS) of cakes that come from that shop? I think not.

Please notice, as proven by the bride, I was correct in my statement that her cake did not come from the GF bakery. They ain't perfect, but this cake would not have left their shop.

And as previously stated, one unhappy guest (who has full recourse), will not doom the entire food and beverage department. I'm sure WDW F&B serves millions of guests each year. Be it a bag of undercooked french fries, or a poorly done cake, accidents will happen.

It would appear that you are more upset about this than the bride, and you didn't pay the bill.:ssst:

Ok, no need for this to get nasty fellow Dis-ers! We all love each other here, remember :goodvibes I am sure that as a grown up, the bride can get her own refund should she choose.

I would have been dissapointed with that cake, and I would have wanted a refund, but well I imagine with all the stress and details of a wedding you have to choose your battles. I do think that the bride should write a letter and send that pic with her disspointment to the bakery that made it. Even if it has been over a year, that is still soemthing that should be brought to their attention, and letting them know the quality did not match the price is important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter