• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grocery Delivery Question

Great info. Will be using one of these services in August. Typically how far in advance do you need to place your order?

If we're going at a busy time of year like spring break (ie one of the weeks surrounding Easter) then I put my order in about a month out just to be sure I get the delivery time slot that I want. For an August trip I would probably do it a couple of weeks out.

I've done day before ordering with WGS, however, we have had to be a bit flexible about when the groceries were delivered with that short notice. If I could get my act together, I'd order 3-4 days in advance and I suspect that would be fine.

We have had great luck with WGS, especially with small kids its nice to have specific items for our trip. Then a couple of years back we did a cruise and ran out of swim diapers and they were contacted and added the items no problem, then delivered for the rest of our trip. I have no problem with the extra cost, tips because the cost of a car and time is not worth it to our family. We are from Seattle and don't know the area.

When you say that they leave your groceries with bell services, does that mean they have access to refrigeration there or is it nonperishables only? This will be our first time dealing with this issue and I'm not sure how it all works. We may end up just stopping on the way in to purchase groceries ourselves, but that won't work if our villa isn't ready.

Laurie

When you say that they leave your groceries with bell services, does that mean they have access to refrigeration there or is it nonperishables only? This will be our first time dealing with this issue and I'm not sure how it all works. We may end up just stopping on the way in to purchase groceries ourselves, but that won't work if our villa isn't ready.

Laurie

WeGoShop separates out the order into freezer, fridge and non-refrigerated and Bell services stores them accordingly. I simply call down to bell services when our room is ready and after I've had a chance to check it out to make sure the room is fine. Of course there's the bell man tip, but it's worth it to make sure the food has been stored and treated appropriately.

Laurie

Yes, Bell Services has access to refrigeration. Garden Grocer packs the cold stuff together and the non-perishables together so that the orders can be handled and stored appropriately. We almost always arrive in late morning so our villa is never ready so we always just have GG leave our order with Bell Services.

I can't believe we might have actually used vacation time to shop for groceries! Thank you for this info!

The 10% is a gratuity, not a "fee". If you don't want to tip for service, then, yes, you have to be there in person to stiff.

PS Different strokes for different folks. I appreciate the service and the way WGS does business. I have never tried another delivery service, so all I can do is recommend a service I liked. I think you can say positive things about the service you prefer without badmouthing a different service.

But isn't the delivery fee already built into the shopping fee? So there is a shopping fee, a delivery fee, and then an additional 10% delivery tip? With the numbers mentioned earlier, that would be upwards of $68 on a $300 food order. Too much.

But isn't the delivery fee already built into the shopping fee? So there is a shopping fee, a delivery fee, and then an additional 10% delivery tip? With the numbers mentioned earlier, that would be upwards of $68 on a $300 food order. Too much.

If I were ordering that much in food, I'd be renting a car and doing it myself, not to save money but to be sure I've got all the options in front of me to choose from to keep the bill down while satisfying my family's needs.

You'll find the prices between WGS and GG to be similar, just broken down differently. I choose to go with WGS simply because I find they respect their clients more than the other service does.

If I were ordering that much in food, I'd be renting a car and doing it myself, not to save money but to be sure I've got all the options in front of me to choose from to keep the bill down while satisfying my family's needs.

You'll find the prices between WGS and GG to be similar, just broken down differently. I choose to go with WGS simply because I find they respect their clients more than the other service does.

Renting a car isn't really an option for us.

My point was that I do not typically expect to pay a delivery tip/fee when one is already built into the service fee, as it is here.

An I order groceries twice a month for someone on the other side of the country. Safeway charges me their in store prices and the delivery fee is anywhere from free to 12 bucks. I are no reason why none of the area grocery stores have yet started delivery to the hotels. It's paying for the middleman that makes the process ridiculous.

Agreed, GG inflates the price of the food, we used them once and they charged a $12 premium on a small roast that they bought at Target. The store label was $12 less than what we were charged.

Any shopping service is a business and they have to make money somewhere in the price. Our stay last month we rented from Alamo at the Dolphin where we normally rent, $38 for the day, we ate our dinner off-site and bought $200 worth of groceries and $25 worth of Publix fried chicken. For us it's a nice break from the parks.

:earsboy: Bill

I have read a bit about Wegoshop and Garden Grocer.

Do either of them or any other delivery service deliver meat? Say we want to grill chicken or steaks-can we order from them? Garden Grocer does not seem to have a meat section listed (unless I am blind).

I highly recommend wegoshop! We used them and I was impressed with the ability to request whatever we wanted. I gave specific instructions that were well followed.

Our deal is BEER vs food. Food, I'd just buy the inflated priced Disney stuff with my DVC discount. However the BEER just is a whole 'nother issue. $15 for a six of Coors/Miller light is a non-starter.

Like others have stated, Garden Grocer has a meat and portly section.

ummm... Not sure what they sell in that section...

PPs have mentioned different shopping services and renting a car. For some people, renting a car is not an option, for various reasons. They might want to try using a Towncar service to get from the airport to the hotel. Several of the towncar services will stop and wait while you shop at a grocery store.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but for WGS the shopping fee and delivery fee is one fee. The delivery fee is not a separate fee.

I do have a question for those that have used GG and had their groceries left at Bell Services, how do you tip GG?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but for WGS the shopping fee and delivery fee is one fee. The delivery fee is not a separate fee.

I do have a question for those that have used GG and had their groceries left at Bell Services, how do you tip GG?

The tip is automatically added when left with bell services - same goes for WGS as they've taken to leaving groceries with Bell services also (I like it better this way as I don't have to wait for a delivery time and can just call up a bell hop to have our groceries brought up) Also note, you cannot modify the amount of the tip with either company when not collected in person.

Garden Grocer has a place on the website when you checkout your cart where you can add the tip. Very convenient.

We've used WGS many times and have always been very happy. In addition to the BOGO as mentioned above, they use their frequent shopper card, saving additional money. The frequent shopper savings have always made up for the delivery fees.

It really comes down to what you prefer. Personally, I prefer to know what I pay for each grocery item, and what any delivery fee is, rather than paying an inflated price for each item.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter