Groceries without a car at FW

Ingrid

Earning My Ears
Really excited about our first trip to Disney in Feb.Coming from Scotland{where Madonna recently married] & won't have a car.Really pleased I've picked FW ,but it sounds as if groceries are really expensive.Would it be worth getting a taxi to Wallmart to stock up at the beggining of the holiday?OR any other good ideas?Thanks

How are you getting from the airport to FW? If you are using a towncar service some of them provide a 1/2 hour grocery stop. You just need to make arrangements ahead of time. Any other ideas anyone??

2 years ago, 4 of us(2 couples) flew in to Orlando for a 3 day whirlwind trip to WDW. The shuttle service from the airport to WDW and back was going to be $25 per person. We rented a car from Avis for $112 for 3 days and used that car to go get groceries. We also used that car to do our own ground tour of WDW. We even drove to Fort Wilderness, then took the bus in to eat at Crokett's Tavern.

On a recent trip, we used Netgrocer.com to order our groceries ahead of time and have them delivered. They won't deliver perishables (meat, milk, etc) but we got all our cereal, crackers, granola bars, juice boxes, bottled water, candy, cookies, chips, etc. from them. We scheduled it to be delivered to the front desk the day before we arrived, and it was there waiting for us! The prices are about the same as the grocery store and I think delivery was only $8.

- Rhonda :-)
Camping Board Co-Moderator
rhonda@wdwinfo.com

Hi,

I stay at Fort Wilderness Campground at least once a month except right now as it's too cold for me to camp! There are two grocery locations called Meadow Trading Post available at the campground and I have bought plenty of stuff there (bread, milk, salad, yogart, snack food and yes even frozen steaks!)
Is it cheaper than buying it here where I live, no...but it's about the same price as most convience stores or Gooding's Grocery store that's around Disney. Besides, even if it's a few dollars more wouldn't you rather spend those few dollars for convience rather than having to spend money on a rental car, taxi etc.
I never worry about forgetting something, because I know I can get it right there! This Campground and it's facilities are better than any KOA etc. that I have ever been too!

I agree. You may pay $20 more for your food, but it's cheaper than getting a cab or renting a car! The trading posts have everything you'll need. Bread, dairy, frozen meats, eggs, bacon, cereal, chips, drinks, etc.

And, don't forget to buy your refillable mug at the Trail's End! You can have it filled at the Meadows Trading Post with coffee, tea, or hot chocolate, and at the Trail's End counter with hot beverages and pop and lemonade! The cost of the mug is $9.95, and refills are free for life!

- Rhonda :-)
Camping Board Co-Moderator
rhonda@wdwinfo.com

a suggestion I have for those stateside is to make up your own "care package" and mail it down yourself. Being a thrifty Scotsman (Graham Clan) I ended up stuffing my suitcases with left over food because I hated the thought of throwing it away. (Still trashed about $20 worth.) My solution is this:

1. Make a menu for the week of every meal & snacks. Don't forget to list everything to make the meal including spices, etc.

2. Make 2 grocery lists, (listing each item) under the heading of perishable or non-perishable.

3. Figure the amount you would use on average for the length of time up will be on vacation. (Example: You have 1 week vacation time. You used only a 1/2 can of coffee in a week. Pack 1/2 can of coffee in a ziplock and put in your care package.)

4. Also add items like paperproducts,extra ziplocks, trash bags, etc. You could also pack an extra duffle bag to carry sovenirs home. Rain gear could also be mailed & carried home in the sovenir bag. REMEMBER: You will be CARRYING home extra items so don't overmail to much.

5. The point is to mail down, then use the items. Then your only throwing out the ziplocks used to pack the items in rather then a ton of extra food.

6. REMEMBER: only pack non-perishable items. Pack the list of perishables with your itinery so that it's handy for the quick town car ride to the store. Will make for a more time saving trip & you won't forget anything in the rush.

Now that you have it packed just mail it in care of the resort with you arrival date on the front. They will hold it for you. I call FW and they told me they would hold them. If your not sure just call your resort to confirm that they will do this. For the amount I spent for the food I threw away I could have mailed a couple of boxes!
Hope that helps!!! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter