Groceries while flying solo

CVW

DIS Veteran
We're making our first trip to BCV this September as members. My wife will be flying into MCO, then to Beach Club Villas on a Sunday afternoon without the rest of us. We'll be meeting her Sunday evening.

She wanted to make a grocery stop, but it didn't make sense to take a limo for only one person. I'm assuming a Mears Shuttle, etc., is more economical. But then how to get the groceries?

Wegoshop.com sounds nice. But for $35 charge on $100 order, She'd rather take the time out to go to the store herself and "lay hands" on exactly what she wants.

Should she take the limo anyway, or should she head into Beach Club and then take a taxi to the nearest grocery store? Or are there other options?

As I reread this, I guess there are two questions: 1) what's the best way for a single person to transfer from the airport and 2) how should we get the groceries?

Have you considered renting a car, then returning it (on WDW property) within 1 day?

/Jim

We rented a compact from National Friday-Sunday for $52, after all fees. We returned it at the Dolphin.

The problem with car rental is that we plan to be there all week, and don't plan on leaving Disney. Also, there will be eight of us, so a compact won't hold us. I suppose it might make sense if the price were right. What's a typical weekly rate for something small?

The shopping & delivery fee for WeGoShop sounded a little high so I took a look at their web site....

Shop and Delivery Rates:
Shop and Delivery Rates: Grocery total up to $100.00 = $15.00 shop & delivery fee.
Shop and Delivery Rates: Grocery total between $100.00 - $200.00 = $20.00 shop & delivery fee.
Shop and Delivery Rates: Grocery total between $200.00 - $300.00 = $30.00 shop & delivery fee.
Shop and Delivery Rates: Grocery total over $300.00 = 12% of total grocery bill.

Although a $50 rental car sounds good too!

Didn't the poster mean a compact for the first day to get your groceries or anything else you wanted to purchase--not for the whole family to ride in?

When you arrive at the airport, you can rent a car for 1 day... get whatever size fits your family w/luggage.

After you drop off everyone at the hotel, make your grocery run and then return your car at WDW.

Personally... I would want the car for the whole week... but if you really do not plan to use it... just return it after the first day at one of the hotels or the CCC (do they still have National?)... then take the WDW bus back to your own hotel.

/Jim

If you're planning on all your activities on property, when would a compact come in handy besides grocery runs? Keep in mind, we have a party of eight. I suppose if we split up it might make sense. Where can you travel on property more easily in a car than by bus/monorail/boat from BCV?

You've piqued my curiosity about having a rental car, I'd just hate to have it and never use it. I've spent two weeks at Disney and never missed a car.

I remember Downtown Disney as being particularly difficult to get to. Would it make it easier to get to the miniature golf at Swan/Dolphin? Blizzard Beach.

If we go with the one-day, where at WDW do you return the car? I assume they transfer you back to the villa, but how long does it take?

I'm leaning toward your car rental idea, but only for the day. I'm open to a full week if you can convince me. Thanks!

I did the one day rental option during my trip last month. Rented through National (~$33.00) and used a double class upgrade cupon. Once I had completed all errands, I returned the rental to National's office located in the Care Care Center just inside the auto entrance to MK. Told the parking attendant that I was returning a rental and he just waved me through. The Care Care Center is the first (or second) left past the parking attendants.

Originally posted by CVW
If you're planning on all your activities on property, when would a compact come in handy besides grocery runs?
We use Disney transportation most of the time. However, we do use our own car to go to:

- Downtown Disney. It's just easier, though parking can be a hassle.

- Other resorts. Using Disney transportation to go to other resorts is pretty time consuming.

IMHO a $15. charge + 10% tip on an order up to $100. for pickup and delivery to you at your resort is very reasonable. The other rates $20 for up to $200 etc. out weigh the cost renting a car you do not need plus the time to pick up car, go shop, return with groceries and return car which are all time we should be vacationing.

This wegoshop.com idea just seems to easy.
$25. - $35 dollars vs. a couple hours in the parks or aroud the pool.
DW votes to let them do the shopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter