• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grilled Pizza?

Silent1CB

DIS Veteran
I want to try this. Some questions for those that have?

Outdoor gas grill or charcoal grill? We have a gas grill.

We also have an indoor grill. One of these. http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GR-4-Griddler-Stainless-Steel-Griddle/dp/B0001XASWQ
It can grill (with lines) or griddle (no lines). It can be used closed or opened flat.
Has anyone done grilled pizza on something like this? Did you grill it or griddle it & did you use it opened or closed?

Now I'm hungry. :goodvibes

We love grilled pizza! The key is to get the grill hot and oil the grates a little. Stretch your dough and plop it right on the grates. After it cooks on one side, flip it over, then put the toppings on, turn off the heat and close the lid. Let it sit for a little bit until the toppings warm/melt. We have a gas grill.

We love grilled pizza! The key is to get the grill hot and oil the grates a little. Stretch your dough and plop it right on the grates. After it cooks on one side, flip it over, then put the toppings on, turn off the heat and close the lid. Let it sit for a little bit until the toppings warm/melt. We have a gas grill.

My husband and I have been experimenting with making our own pizza crusts. We really like cooking it on hot pizza stones in our oven. We use the convection bake setting and it really has a brick oven taste to it. Our next step is to try grilling it so I was happy to see this thread.

Any other tips for this? What toppings are you using?

We grill pizza on our outdoor propane-heated grill. We've been doing this for years and it's yummy! We use dough from Trader Joe's. The garlic-herb one is best. We grill it similar to what another poster said but we do not turn off the heat, just down low.

My husband and I have been experimenting with making our own pizza crusts. We really like cooking it on hot pizza stones in our oven. We use the convection bake setting and it really has a brick oven taste to it. Our next step is to try grilling it so I was happy to see this thread.

Any other tips for this? What toppings are you using?

The way we do it, there really isn't any limit to the toppings. You may want to precook some of the veggies like onions, peppers and broccoli and we sometimes warm them up in the microwave if we're using things like diced chicken that's been refrigerated.

Some of our better pizza's are:

mushroom, cheese, caramelized onions

Buffalo Chicken with blue cheese

white broccoli with ricotta

pineapple, bacon, chicken, romano ranch

We love grilled pizza. We have done it on a gas grill. We bought dough from a local pizza place, but you can buy it at the supermarket. then we do exactly as tw1nsmom described.

My fav is just a bit of sauce, cheese and mushrooms and onions. Our friends had us over for a cook out and we did this. It was a lot of fun, she had toppings all set up and everyone made their own.

Grilled pizza is the best! We have an outdoor propane grill, and it works just fine. I usually buy frozen bread dough for the crusts and make individual size pizza because they are so much easier to work with on the grill.

Just oil up the dough, grill for a few minutes, flip, top, and grill long enough for the cheese to melt. I do not turn the grill off after flipping the pizzas.

Pesto makes really good sauce for grilled pizza if you want a change from tomato sauce.

Sounds great~am going to have to try this~thanks for all the ideas

I grill pizza all the time. It's our favorite

I make the dough from scratch and roll it out very thin. I brush one side with olive oil and place the dough on the gas grill (no toppings yet). after about 5 minutes or when the dough starts to crisp and turn brown I flip it and put all my toppings on. I use home made sauce and fresh mozzerela (sliced, not grated). Close the lid and wait for the cheese to melt. It makes great pizza

Thanks for the replies.

I can see the indoor grill probably won't work since it doesn't really create that oven effect needed to melt the cheese?

Gas grill it is then. I was just hoping I could use the indoor grill while my DH is gone.

We did an outdoor grilling party for a Pampered Chef party, and did grilled pizzas as the main food.

We used rolled out refridgerated pizza dough. Cut into 5x7-ish rectangles, and cooked (with nothing on it) on one side until that side was somewhat done. Then removed from the grill, put the sauce, cheese and toppings, and returned it to the grill...and cooked covered.

You need either porcelain grate or a porcelain grill topper or it will stick to your grill. But it was delicious!

We grill pizza all the time. We bought a pizza pan for the grill with a handle last year and it works great. The key for us is to cook the dough on one side, flip it and then add the sauce, cheese and toppings. We turn the heat down real low once we add everything to the pizza and close the top. It comes out great every time. As mentioned in previous posts, depending on the toppings you choose, you might have to pre-cook them a bit. We just put the veggies in some foil on the grill and pre-cook for a few minutes to get them just right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter