Grilled cheese sandwich

Julylady

DIS Veteran
Our traveling party in April includes my 14-year old niece who is a picky eater. One of her "go to" foods at restaurants is a simple grilled cheese sandwich (white bread, cheddar or American cheese, spread with butter or margarine, then grilled). She ordered a couple of them on our last trip and they were just awful. A piece of processed cheese in a whole wheat pita, then microwaved. She also didn't like the fancy grilled cheese at Taste Track.

Does anyone know where we can find a traditional grilled cheese (or ham and cheese) sandwich? TIA.

With Disney trying to make the dining experience "upscale", it is getting harder and harder to find good old standard food any more. Good luck.

Thanks, eastendlights. We already have ADRs at both of these spots so I am on track! She loved the ham/cheese sandwich option at both Chefs de France and the French bakery last year. They were her best meals of the entire trip except for the Wishes Dessert party night where we skipped dinner altogether and feasted on desserts. She really enjoyed that!!!

Ah, welcome to my world - that's pretty much the only thing my son will eat as well. The grilled cheese at The Plaza restaurant is good, anywhere else in MK is something pre-made and disgusting. The wave has a good one at the contemporary. I scouted out on my last trip that Narcoossee's also will make one upon request. I didn't know about Chefs de France so that's helpful info. We've done wishes dessert party only my son doesn't eat anything there, lol.

It's frustrating because it seems like something that is pretty easy to make, cheese, bread and butter. It's almost impossible to find now with all of the "healthy" options.

I *think* Beaches and Cream has one. I've never been, but I thought I'd seen one in a food report on here.
Yes, and it's outstanding! Hard to imagine a grilled cheese could be that good, but it was for me.

However, it does have three or four cheeses. So not the most basic.

I thought the kid's grilled cheese was usually pretty plain. Unless you are on the dining plan, she can order the kids meal, even two if she needs more food. I know my picky son had the kid's grilled cheese at BOG for lunch. He didn't complain. I know he wouldn't probably eat the one at Taste Track either. He has complained about some of the mac n cheese at Disney not tasting like Kraft:rolleyes: We don't even eat the Kraft stuff at home; we buy Amy's. So I don't know where he gets it from.

One of our son's knocks on the food on our early trips was the fact that you seemingly can't find grilled cheese ANYWHERE.

It never hurts to ask at any QS or restaurant that has the kind of bread & cheese she likes. As long as they have the ingredients, some might be willing to make one to order when asked.

We always get the grilled cheese (and tomato soup) at Beaches and Cream, too. Beware, though, that the grilled cheese has a few different cheeses in it and tastes a little different than your standard grilled cheese sandwich.

I don't know if they would work, but the Wave in the Contemporary has grilled cheese on rainbow bread. Basically it's grilled cheese with bread that really brightly colored.

A good solid kids grilled cheese is tough to find at WDW these days.

This is not grilled cheese but something she might like ... at Via Napoli, they had kids fried mozzarella bites with marinara dipping sauce on the side. I thought they were delicious (I tried my DD's, but the portion size might be too small for a 14 year old.) They aren't overly flavorful but still good.

She could also get a small pizza there without sauce which could work.

At the QS location in Mexico (name escaping me right now) they have kids cheese empanadas. Basically a fried dough filled with cheese. I also tried my DD's and thought they were good too.

Trying to think outside the box for you since we were just there! We're a big cheese family :)

Most of the QS places that serve hamburgers can make you a grilled cheese on a bun. It's not exactly what you want, but might do if you're desperate.

If you're staying on-site, I've gotten them a lot at the Resort food courts. They've generally been on Texas toast-like bread with plenty of cheese and the cashiers ring them up as a kid's meal.

Take a chance and ask just about anywhere.We find that most places will try to create something your child will like. We find that sometimes this is easier on the DDP because they simply charge a credit and not have to figure out how to charge an item that they don't have pricing for. Of course they have to have white bread, or be able to get it somewhere super close like the food court of a resort restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter