Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, now what?

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
I never watched either of these when they started, but have caught up on both using Amazon Prime (my New Years resolution, haha).

I'm almost done w/them, and feel a sense of withdrawal. What other series do you like if you LOVE these two? I just feel so attached to the character development, the "soapiness" of them, etc. I need something new that's similar!

Help!

TIA!

Terri

I loved Nip/Tuck, but its a different kind of theme.

But I was addicted to it, watched all the seasons in less than a month on Netflix.

Well Grey's is still on, so you don't have to feel the withdrawal yet! You should start watching Scandal, which has the same creator/executive producer as Grey's and PP. It's definitely the same primetime soap vibe. It's in it's 2nd season now. I know the first is on Netflix.

If you like medical dramas, try checking out Monday Mornings on TNT. It's in the middle of it's first season right now, so I'm sure it's not on Amazon Prime, but if you have cable, it's worth a watch. :)

Downton Abbey
Scandal
House of Cards
Necessary Roughness
Suits

Not sure if these are on Amazon prime but ER and St. Elsewhere are two good medical shows.

I have been watching Monday Mornings, and feel it's quite strong, but judging by the ratings I'm the only one watching it, so don't know how long it will last.

I haven't seen St E or ER in *years*, may have to go back and try them out again....

Thanks everyone, keep them coming!

Terri
(And it doesn't have to be medical, just really great characters, with a good amount of soap thrown in!)

I second (or third?) "Scandal"!!

That is my absolute new favorite show!

Like the ABC advertisement says, it's "Crazy! Twisty! Good!"

The creator of the show is Shonda Rhimes - who also created "Grey's Anatomy" & "Private Practice". The show moves quickly, the dialogue is razor sharp & fast, & the characters are mesmerizing.

Fitzgerald Grant is the President of the United States. Olivia Pope is a "fixer" - she fixes scandals. They are in love, but theirs is a dark, twisted passion - quite like Meredith & Derek from early "Grey's Anatomy" except darker.

Here's a snippet of dialogue from my favorite scene...

Olivia: I wait for you. I watch for you. My whole life is you. I can’t breathe because I’m waiting for you. You own me, you control me, I belong to you…

Fitz: You own me! You control me. I belong to you. You think I don’t want to be a better man? You think that I don’t want to dedicate myself to my marriage? You don’t think I want to be honorable? To be the man you voted for? I love you. I’m in love with you. You’re the love of my life. My every feeling is controlled by the look on your face. I can’t breathe without you. I can’t sleep without you. I wait for you, I watch for you. I exist for you... I belong to you. We’re in this together.

Mellie, the First Lady, & Cyrus, the President's top advisor, are also superb.

Cyrus (to Fitz): I'm saying the right side and the wrong side are determined not by me and not by you but by history. History makes the heroes and the villains, sir. You and I? We're just players.

Body of Proof, it's on Tuesdays. I watch it on the ABC app though. It's kind of a cross between CSI and Greys.

If you like shows with younger characters...

Friday Night Lights (not too soapy but excellent!!)
One Tree Hill

Nashville
Bates Motel
Dallas

An older show that you can watch on
Gilmore Girls
Friday Night Lights

Add my votes for Scandal, Monday Mornings and Body of Proof. Revenge is great also!

The Dallas reboot on TNT in my book is becoming very soapy plus cute male leads a la Grey's. Also will second Scandal, Chicago Fire, White Collar and Body of Proof. Plus Castle while its a crime show has the same vibe but with more humor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter