Greenock Scotland Port question

tlynk

DIS Veteran
The British Isles cruise in 2018 stops at Greenock Scotland and I'm trying to figure out what excursion to plan for. Can anyone who has been to Scotland give input or recommends? There are 3 places I'd like to visit, but can only pick one. Edinburgh, Stirling or Inveraray and Loch Lomond? I wish I had time to see them all. I really would like to stick with a DCL excursions since the driving time can be up to 2 hours one way.

The British Isles cruise in 2018 stops at Greenock Scotland and I'm trying to figure out what excursion to plan for. Can anyone who has been to Scotland give input or recommends? There are 3 places I'd like to visit, but can only pick one. Edinburgh, Stirling or Inveraray and Loch Lomond? I wish I had time to see them all. I really would like to stick with a DCL excursions since the driving time can be up to 2 hours one way.

There will be more to see in Edinburgh, but it's a bit of a haul from the port for a day trip. By the time you figure transportation you probably don't have much time in the city.

I think I'd go with Inveraray and Loch Lomond myself. It'll be a nicer drive, and you'll see more of the countryside.

ETA: Edinburgh and Stirling are also easier to get to on a future trip, if you are ever able to go back. Inveraray is more off the beaten path.

When we took the British Isles cruise in 2016, we did the Sterling Castle excursion out of Greenock. It was nice (we'd rate it a 6-7 out of 10?), but we remember it including a long bus ride. (I don't recall if perhaps they drove us through another site-seeing destination as well on that one or not; sorry.)

Whatever you choose, ENJOY! It is quite a nice cruise itinerary!

Assuming Edinburgh includes a trip to the castle, I'd go there in a heartbeat.

We did Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace. We enjoyed Edinburgh Castle, it had many things going on due to the Queen's Birthday Celebration. Sadly, the amount of time at Holyrood Palace was not quite long enough, but the bus ride each way was a bit long.

Last edited:
We spent a week in Scotland this summer. We LOVED Edinburgh! I would go there again. Rest of Scotland - not so much.

When on the 2016 British Isles cruise, we did the Edinburgh on Your Own Excursion. The bus took us and dropped us back off at the port at a very convenient location. Can't rememeber exactly where! It was a leisurely walk up to the castle, and we had prepurchased our entrance ticket before leaving for the cruise. We had about 4 hours to explore which is definitely not enough time but gave a taste of the city and the desire to go back someday!!!

I suppose it depends what you would enjoy most, city, scenery or castles, though to be fair you’ll get scenery and castles at all three.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city with lots of historical and cultural interest. The castle is superb, and filled with things to see, there’s also a more modern side to it as it’s still used as an army barracks.

Stirling is much smaller, and the town isn’t that interesting, but the castle is lovely and your not very far from the battlefield of Bannockburn, if that’s the sort of thing you like.

Inveraray is a very pretty wee town with an impressive (though not ancient) castle and you’ll see some really lovely scenery on your way there. Loch Fyne is one of the most beautiful in Scotland, and the George Inn is really good and atmospheric for lunch.

If I had to pick, it’d be either Edinburgh or Inveraray, one for the culture and the other for the scenery. You wouldn’t go wrong with any of the 3, to be honest, it’s just a matter of taste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter