• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Greek Adventure Trip Report

Ok, so I just checked our itinerary and we actually have closer to 2 hours of layover. Do you know if they needed to claim the luggages, go through customs, recheck the luggage in, then security before boarding?

Ok, so I just checked our itinerary and we actually have closer to 2 hours of layover. Do you know if they needed to claim the luggages, go through customs, recheck the luggage in, then security before boarding?

We did not have to claim the luggage at CDG. Just had to get to a different terminal and go through passport check. The line for the passport check was fairly long and the trek from one terminal to the other was very long. I understand there may be some kind of transportation available but we did not see it.

We did not have to claim the luggage at CDG. Just had to get to a different terminal and go through passport check. The line for the passport check was fairly long and the trek from one terminal to the other was very long. I understand there may be some kind of transportation available but we did not see it.

Ok good, thanks for the info. Claiming the luggage will surely be a setback.

The final two days of the trip ---

Day 12 - I must say this day was a lot of fun for all. We left at 8:30 for about a 90 minutes bus trip to the Palace of Knossos. To us the ruins here did a better job of showing what life was like during the time period. It does get very crowded and the timing for us was great as it was not that crowded. The kids may like the story of the minotaur. We spent about 90 minutes there and then headed to the Village of Arolithos for lunch and to make our worry beads. This is a beautiful little recreated village that was built with materials from other buildings in the area that were being torn down. Lunch seemed to go on forever. There is a cooking demonstration first that is interesting and easy to do at home. You get several small servings to sample different food. After lunch we had some free time to explore the village. There were some shops, but the majority of them were closed by the time we were free to visit them. We then met up and went into a building to make our worry beads. After a brief history about the beads we sat at tables to make our own. This was a lot of fun as you are free to be as creative as you wish. My beads are the only souvenier(sp) I brought home with me. We had so much fune doing this. We then returned to the hotel for dinner on our own.

There are two towns you can cab to for dinner or you can stay at the resort and eat. The resort is very expensive. The night we were there they were having a Fisherman's Delight special for 65 Euro a person. We opted to go into Elounda at a cost of 7 Euro for the cab. We ate at Leoniaas Taverna with another family and it was fantastic. The fish soup was to die for. Everything is fresh. It is a family owned business that has family that provides everything from the vegetables to the meat and fish. I had the sea bass and was asked to pick which fish I wanted. The other family that joined us shared a fisherman's platter that was supposed to serve two and three of them had trouble finishing it. Another person had a lamb dish that he said was very good. We all had salads,(be warned that one salad is enough to feed two ro more people) an entree, bottled water or coke, and one desert and for six it was 124 Euro plus tip.

Just remember there are no refills on sodas in Europe. They serve it in bottles. This may be something new for some, especially the kids.

Day 13 -- A day full of surprises and no way for Disney to fully plan the day. You visit a village of 20 people, meet with a shepard and his flock to watch a milking demonstration. You are in the animal's environment so there is no way to predict what will happen. After the milking demonstration there is a hike to the bus to take you to another location where you will make goat cheese after a hike to a church. I hurt my knee earlier in the trip and could not make the hike, but I heard the church was interesting. The making of the goat cheese was defintiely a learning experience. They do serve light food during this process. After the cheese making you go to the taverna in the village to eat lunch. There is again a cooking demonstration and many small servings of different food. Our experience during the lunch will be very different from the remaining trips because it was an adults only trip and the adults created their own fun during this part of the visit that would never happen on a trip with children. It was clean fun, but not with kids present.

We returned to the hotel with about a 2 hour or so break before our farewell dinner. I do not want to spoil what happens at the dinner because it is special.

I just want to say we had a awesome time on this trip and met some beautiful people that we enjoyed sharing the experience with. We will keep in touch with some of them and have formed friendships along the way. We would not have wanted to see Greece with any other tour company. All of you that are going on the trip are in for a memorable trip. Enjoy yourselves as much as we did or more.

Donna

Thanks again, Donna! We are all excited and looking forward to this trip!

I am just wondering why you didn't buy souvenirs. Was there nothing that interested you or most of the shops are closed? What souvenirs can you buy? I read Greece make nice pottery (which can be bulky).

Thanks Donna! We'll hunt for some of the suggested restaurants, and appreciate your report full of such useful tips! It will be interesting to see how the trip is tweaked for the next adventure (our group!!)--especially as this will be the first official trip with kids. (Will they figure out a way to do lunch and see the village with more shops open, for example). I also have been following the weather--into the 90s in Athens now!

tufbuf--looking forward to meeting up with you in Athens!

Thanks you Donna! We'll hunt for some of the suggested restaurants, and appreciate your report full of such useful tips! It will be interesting to see how the trip is tweaked for the next adventure (our group!!)--especially as this will be the first official trip with kids. (Will they figure out a way to do lunch and see the village with more shops open, for example). I also have been following the weather--into the 90s in Athens now!

tufbuf--looking forward to meeting up with you in Athens!

You too, WeLoveABD! I started packing and my head is whirling now!:cool1: in a good way!

We did not buy anything because we travel so much and our usual purchase is art. We no longer have room for art in our house so I make a photo book of my photos. Photography is my hobby. We did buy custom made tshirts for our grown kids at a wonderful shop on Santorini. The guy that owns the shop will make anything you want. To get to the store walk into town and when you get to the street with the sign for the ferries turn left. It is the tshirt shop up the hill straight in front of you. If you keep going up the hill and turn right after the museum there are a lot more shops, places to eat, and bars.

I am looking forward to hearing how your trip went and tell Chris that Donna and Joi say hello and thank you for the wonderful adventure.

The clothing is definitely shorts and comfortable shoes. You will only need a couple of pair of long pants and or comfortable dress.

Hey tufbuf! I've been watching the weather pattern in Athens--mid 90s pretty consistently during the day, and in the 70s now at night.

Of course--with the vote this weekend things will be heating up, politically! We are bringing a good amount of Euros in case ATMs and/or banks are not readily available. I would think, even if the vote suggests Greece is pulling out of the Euro system, that it will be awhile...so that our euros will still be good currency there! (There are reports on runs on the banks--I just have no idea what, if any, impact that will have on tourists)

I see no trip advisories posted re travel to Greece. Have you heard anything? Any concerns?

Hey tufbuf! I've been watching the weather pattern in Athens--mid 90s pretty consistently during the day, and in the 70s now at night.

Of course--with the vote this weekend things will be heating up, politically! We are bringing a good amount of Euros in case ATMs and/or banks are not readily available. I would think, even if the vote suggests Greece is pulling out of the Euro system, that it will be awhile...so that our euros will still be good currency there! (There are reports on runs on the banks--I just have no idea what, if any, impact that will have on tourists)

I see no trip advisories posted re travel to Greece. Have you heard anything? Any concerns?

No I haven't but we will be watching the election situation this weekend. I enrolled in the STEP program with the Dept. of State and I haven't had any emails or any warning. I just wonder what ABD will do if they decide to pull out, I mean it will be a huge mess. But that's worst case scenario.

We are packing on Euros as well, we don't use international ATMs. Just something we got used to doing.

Yeah, one time it said the temp was 99!!! That's really hot but we are ready!!!

6 more days before we fly!!!

The good thing is the location of the hotel in Athens. It is located away from the city center and all the things you do in Athens can be reached without going near where any demonstrations may take place.

A word of warning-- the location of the shuttle drop off provided by the hotel is at the square where all the demonstrations take place.

I almost forgot to say we did see a few Citi Bank branches in Athens.

The good thing is the location of the hotel in Athens. It is located away from the city center and all the things you do in Athens can be reached without going near where any demonstrations may take place.

A word of warning-- the location of the shuttle drop off provided by the hotel is at the square where all the demonstrations take place.

I almost forgot to say we did see a few Citi Bank branches in Athens.

Is that Syntagma Square?

Thank you for the rundown nordkin on your adventure. We appreciate you taking the time to provide great details!

tufbuf and WeLoveABD, our family will be joining you next week on this adventure. We are looking forward to it. Sounds like a wonderful time. This will be our 3rd ABD Trip. Having previously done Quest for the West and the Path to Pura Vida (Costa Rica). We will not be doing any Pre or post extensions of trip so we arrive in Athens Fri. Morning. We will be flying into Athens via Philedelphia. We are family of 4 from East Tennessee. It will be myself, DH, and our two teenage children. DD is 16 and will be a Jr. in high school this Fall. DS is 15 and will be a sophomore.

Thank you for the rundown nordkin on your adventure. We appreciate you taking the time to provide great details!

tufbuf and WeLoveABD, our family will be joining you next week on this adventure. We are looking forward to it. Sounds like a wonderful time. This will be our 3rd ABD Trip. Having previously done Quest for the West and the Path to Pura Vida (Costa Rica). We will not be doing any Pre or post extensions of trip so we arrive in Athens Fri. Morning. We will be flying into Athens via Philedelphia. We are family of 4 from East Tennessee. It will be myself, DH, and our two teenage children. DD is 16 and will be a Jr. in high school this Fall. DS is 15 and will be a sophomore.

See you, meflick! A couple of other members, abbyjt and I believe evildisneysiamese will be on the same dates. Lots of teens in the group! Here's hoping for a peaceful election this Sunday! We already met one of the guides in a previous ABD and he is awesome!!

It has been my pleasure giving a report of our experience. Now I want to hear from you guys while traveling or when you get back. You will love Chris and Mary. Please tell Mary, Donna said she will be ok with you guys. She is worried about the kids enjoying the trip since it is so much history. Help her along and make suggestions for the kids. You are the first family group going so break them in for the rest of the summer.

Donna

I have resisted posting photos, but just a few to show you what will welcome you to Athens.

082_edited-1.jpg

The Lobby

070_edited-1.jpg

The view from the roof -- be sure to visit it.

072_edited-1.jpg

The hotel pool on Santorini

0542.jpg

The first night on Santorini when you go to dinner climb the stairs to the right of the restaruant and this is what you will see

0462_edited-1.jpg

Look out at the road about 8 in the morning on Santorini and you will see this

0612_edited-1.jpg

I hope these have given a bit of excitement to the beginning of your trip.

Those surely whet my appetite!! In a way, I want to see photos, at the same time I don't want to see photos. We are all getting excited! Can't believe it's just a few days away!! Thanks for all that you shared, nordkin!

Those surely whet my appetite!! In a way, I want to see photos, at the same time I don't want to see photos. We are all getting excited! Can't believe it's just a few days away!! Thanks for all that you shared, nordkin!

That is exactly why I have not posted photos. I do not want to ruin the surprises or beauty you will see on the trip. It is also the reason I did not give too much detail about each day. I promised Chris I would not give anything away about the trip and allow you guys to experience it the same way we did. Each day is a new surprise. Just make sure you have several memory cards for your camera. As a photography bug, I would recommend a few 4 to 8 gig cards so if the card goes bad, you do not lose all your photos. I took over 1000 and others on our trip had over 2000 between the two fo them.

I was happy to share and if anything I posted helps in anyway it is a bonus. I am getting excited for you guys. Enjoy your trip and I expect to hear how it went.

Donna

Thank you Donna for your reports and tips--we look forward to meeting up with Chris and Mary and will give them your best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter