Great Snorkeling on a Dime on the Disney Magic (Western Caribbean)

Tom _Ryan

Author of the Port Canaveral Thriller - A Sword fo
Great Snorkeling on a Dime on the Disney Magic (Western Caribbean)
- Tom Ryan

If you’re still on the proverbial fence as to whether or not a Disney Cruise is for you, let me begin with a little test:

- Do you have children?

- Are you yourself a kid at heart?

- When times are tough, have you ever found yourself saying: “Just keep swim-ming. Just keep swim-ming...” or: “Faith, trust, and pixie dust”?

- Have you ever wondered why Mickey’s ears stay in one place as his head turns while watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on Playhouse Disney?

- Are you interested in seeing outstanding theatrical productions, eating all you can eat at a late-night pirate buffet, or taking a dip in the crystal blue waters of a secluded private Bahamian island?

If you answered “Yes” to two or more of the above, stop wondering – a Disney cruise is for you. This review, though, isn’t a critique of the Disney Cruise Line; this is for those lucky Donald Ducks who already know they’re going on a Disney Cruise, but want to know where they can have some exciting but inexpensive water fun at each of the ports of call on the Disney Magic’s Western Caribbean itinerary.

Key West:

Somewhere south of Miami and north of Cuba lays the eclectically tropical Key West. Known locally as the “Conch Republic,” this highly spirited island has a flavor all its own, and has inspired the likes of Jimmy Buffett and Ernest Hemingway; once you’re here, it’s easy to see why. You have a lot of options at Key West, from visiting Mel Fisher’s treasure museum to getting a drink and a burger at the famed Sloppy Joe’s or Hog’s Breath. If you’re like me, however, those indulgences are best appreciated after a good snorkel at Fort Zachary Taylor.

Constructed in the mid-eighteen hundreds, Fort Zachary Taylor figured prominently in both the Civil War and the Spanish-American War. Today, the Fort makes up an 87-acre park brimming with nature trails and bike paths. Right off the beach, however, is an underwater paradise filled with parrot fish and coral. What are you waiting for? Dive in!

Upon disembarking the boat, catch a cab for a short ride to the Fort, which lies at the Southern end of, aptly-named, Southard Street. Currently, the admittance fee is $6 for two people, and fifty cents for each additional person. This is a bargain for a great little snorkel spot located right on one of Key West’s very few beaches.

Once there, take some time to explore the fort, and then head to the beach. Just off the shore are a few rocky breakwaters. These are the areas where tropical critters congregate. You can now rent snorkel equipment here – but I advise buying your mask, snorkel, and fins before you leave, thus having them at your disposal for all your ports of call. A note of caution; I’ve snorkeled here when the water has gotten pretty swift, flowing perpendicular to the shore, so keep an eye on young ones and inexperienced swimmers if the conditions call for it. Also, pack a pair of underwater shoes for all in your party, as the bottom is rocky.

After your snorkel, head back to the boat and get cleaned up before heading back to Key West for shopping and exploring. Disney Cruise line’s portage is particularly convenient, as the ship is docked near the western end of Duvall Street. In the evening, make sure to catch the sunset and street performances at Mallory Square.

Grand Cayman:

Christopher Columbus first spotted the Cayman Islands on his final westward voyage in 1503, calling them Las Tortugas in honor of the numerous sea turtles which called the islands home. In 1586 Sir Francis Drake turned around and dubbed them the “Caymans” after the Spanish word for alligator. In truth, no alligators live here; in fact, the island is devoid of any naturally-occurring freshwater for the scaled creatures to live in.

One of the largest financial hubs in the world, with tourism making up 75 percent of its gross domestic product, today Grand Cayman is filled with banks, jewelry stores, and souvenir shops. I’ve been to a lot of Caribbean islands, and nowhere have I found islanders to be as friendly as they are in Grand Cayman. Sure, the locals congregate by the port, hocking their wares and services; but here, if and when you decline, they are still very polite and respectful. Take some time to explore George Town. It’s small, but a lot of fun!

While here, you may be tempted to book an excursion for Stingray City, and if you do –you won’t be sorry. There, hundreds of friendly stingrays swim among you, looking for free food handouts. This is a great trip, and really allows you to interact with wild animals with relatively little danger. The whole experience takes place on a sandbar, and most of the time, visitors can stand rather than float. If you’re a certified diver, consider booking a two-tank dive excursion to the famed Grand Cayman Wall.

That being said, paying top dollar for guided tours isn’t what this piece is about. You want to know where you can get some fantastic water time for free, right? Look no farther; Grand Cayman has just what you’re looking for! In 1944, a 220 foot, four-masted steel schooner called the Callie ran aground in 25 feet of water. Today, the wreck lies just off the rocky shore of the port of George Town, and only a few minutes’ walk from your cruise drop-off point.

Upon arriving in Grand Cayman, and after your buffet breakfast at Topsider’s, you’ll take a short boat ride onto the Island. George Town is a shallow port, so all cruise ships anchor in deeper water, and guests must take a tender. Make sure to take all your snorkel gear with you, so you don’t have to re-board the ship before your water plunge. Once on land, explore some of the wonderful shops in the area, then head north on North Church Street, just a couple blocks above the tender drop off point. Next to an outdoor bar and restaurant you’ll find a small scuba store and diving school with a newly-built wooden dock behind it. Just one hundred feet off the dock lies the Callie wreck, identifiable by a buoy and the mass congregation of snorkel boats. The operators of the dive store are very friendly and will allow you to leave your clothes in their shop if you ask. You’ll most likely be told, “no worries!”

The wreck itself is in 15 to 30 feet of water, so you’ll be a somewhat distant observer to the marine life below. Here you will see large tropical fish of all varieties, including tarpon, barracuda, grouper, and maybe even a moray eel. The view of an old, mysterious shipwreck from above is exhilarating, and the Callie is an easily-accessible, inexpensive snorkel trip not to be missed.

Cozumel

True Story: once while on another popular cruise line (which will remain nameless), I booked an excursion for a drift snorkel along the coast of Cozumel. I boarded the snorkel boat, and it proceeded to take us just a few hundred feet from the cruise ship, where it dropped us off in about ten feet of water and 20 yards off the coast of a popular Cozumel beach. As I floated amongst the fishes, one word kept repeating over and over again in my head – “sucker.” If memory serves, it cost around $50 to do something that, had I done a little research, I could have done for free. Se la vie.

The term “tourist trap” was coined for places like downtown Cozumel. If you were thinking of booking one of Disney’s excursions during your trip, here would be the place to do so. They offer a trek to the Mayan city of Tulum and a jeep exploration of the Mexican jungle. Another option is to take this day at an easy pace, and save your energy for that night’s “Pirates in the Caribbean” party and fireworks at sea. These are not to be missed!

If you’re still itching to get back in the water after your previous day snorkeling the Callie, I recommend catching a cab (for about $12) and spending the day snorkeling at Chankanaab National Park (admission to the park is $16 per person). In addition to snorkeling, the park offers a swim with dolphins encounter (which I wouldn’t do), as well as food (which I wouldn’t eat). If you’re a certified scuba diver you can also book dives here. Viva la Mexico!

Castaway Cay

Your whole snorkeling life has led to this moment – the day you get to brave the fantastic waters of Disney’s private Bahamian island. Tom Hanks in the movie Castaway only wished he could have washed up on a beach like this. To me, this is truly paradise found.

Castaway Cay (pronounced “key”) is a small island in the chain of Bahamian islands called the Abocos. Located southeast of Freeport and Grand Bahama Island, Castaway Cay is little over three miles long by two miles wide, but is packed with adventure and tropical allure. Here you can get your picture taken with Captain Jack Sparrow. Here you can soar one-thousand feet high while parasailing. Here you can do absolutely nothing at all in a hammock of your choosing. Or, here you can enter the blue jeweled waters and have a snorkeling experience as fun as Walt Disney himself would have envisioned it.

The island is segmented into three separate beach areas: Serenity Bay Beach (for adults only), the appropriately-named Teen beach, and the Castaway Family Beach. There are also eateries and drinkeries (is that a word?) as well as a spa area, sports beach, gift shop, and post office.

1/16/09. The weather forecast called for cold wind and rain. Heck, it was January. What did we expect? We ate our breakfast at Lumiere’s and filed off the boat like lemmings. It was cold. Sweatshirt and jeans cold. This isn’t what we pictured. A cruise as good as this can’t end like this. It just can’t!

My wife and I, with family and new friends in tow, walked along the beach, cursing our luck for booking a cruise in January. A group of kids by the shore’s edge bravely ventured into the water. Optimists, we thought. Young, foolish, immune-to-cold-water optimists. But wait. What’s this? The sun? It was. It was the sun! We thought it had forsaken us! The cold morning gave way to a warm, sunny, beautiful day, and then it was us who looked foolish in our winter wear. I sprinted back to the ship for my bathing suit and dive bag...

The snorkeling lagoon offers 22-acres of underwater attractions, and is located just beyond the boating harbor and right before the family beach. If you don’t own your own equipment it can be rented at Gils’ Fins and Boats. You have to wear an unseemly, yellow, inflatable snorkel vest (which is provided for free at the entrance to the lagoon), but you don’t have to inflate it.

A quick note on skill levels: The snorkeling lagoon at Castaway Cay is an outstanding experience for the seasoned snorkeler, but also provides a terrific learning environment for beginners. The huge, protected lagoon is great for those who fear becoming lunch to some large, gilled monster, and the multitude of lifeguards on hand, even out in the lagoon, provide piece of mind if someone were to get into a little trouble.

...I entered the water without hesitation. Despite the heat on the beach, the water was still cold, only in the high sixties, which is akin to ice water, even in my wetsuit, and I momentarily considered running back to the shore screaming like a little girl. But wait, I thought, I waited ten years to snorkel here, and nothing less than Bruce the shark was going to stop me. I ventured on. Cold, but ever forward.

Once in the water, the underwater environs are simply amazing. Picture swimming in an immense aquarium designed by Disney imagineers. Actually, you don’t have to picture it, because that’s exactly what it is. The underwater features are clean – Disney clean, with nary a barnacle out of place. The themed areas (this is Disney after all) are not gaudy and are well spaced apart. In addition to schools of colorful fish, here you will encounter sunken treasure chests, a Mickey figurehead, broken ship masts, and discarded submarines from the defunct “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” ride. It’s easy to get caught up with the fantasy here. Sure, these are merely props scattered cleverly along the ocean floor. But for a moment, just for a moment, let the magic of Disney in. If you do, you certainly won’t regret it. That’s what I was doing when reality hit and I heard the seven tones of the ship’s big horns play “When You Wish Upon a Star” calling me back. I guess it has to end sometime. Bummer.

If you’re about to depart on your own Disney Cruise, I wish for you fair winds and calm water. Maybe someday we’ll see each other under the sea (I’m easy to spot: I’ll be the one sporting the Goofy Speedos).

Shipwrecks, Treasure, Meteors...and Disney World?
Check out my Florida thriller
A Sword for Pizarro

“Combines the maritime adventure of Clive Cussler, the breezy escapism of Jimmy Buffett, and the witty mystery of Robert B. Parker…”
- Lost Treasure Magazine

“This is a true thriller, like recovering gold from the bottom of the ocean.”
- Bob “Frogfoot” Weller, author of 9 books on Sunken Treasure

Since I'm directionally challenged, do you leave the port area to the left or the right out of Grand Cayman to reach the snorkel site you describe? (I've gone right to Eden Rock before, but I'm assuming that the shipwreck is the other direction?) Thanks!

Since I'm directionally challenged, do you leave the port area to the left or the right out of Grand Cayman to reach the snorkel site you describe? (I've gone right to Eden Rock before, but I'm assuming that the shipwreck is the other direction?) Thanks!

You're going to make a left as you get off the tender. :upsidedow

Thanks for this information, it is exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for. Very helpful.

Tom as we are a family of 6 who haven't cruised in over 4 years, I decided to book "tours" that would keep us together and on schedule :)
The StingRay City, Turtle, Hell seemed a no brainer for me.

Do you know how early the stores open on Grand Cayman?
After reading your post, I'm wondering if I should bother with the Cozumel Snorkel, boat ride, beach party. It doesn't state which beach it goes to.
Any recommendations? My kids range in ages from 5~11~15~22.
Thanks!

Tom as we are a family of 6 who haven't cruised in over 4 years, I decided to book "tours" that would keep us together and on schedule :)
The StingRay City, Turtle, Hell seemed a no brainer for me.

Do you know how early the stores open on Grand Cayman?
After reading your post, I'm wondering if I should bother with the Cozumel Snorkel, boat ride, beach party. It doesn't state which beach it goes to.
Any recommendations? My kids range in ages from 5~11~15~22.
Thanks!

Hi Kathy!

First of all - I'm envious! I just got off the boat, and I'm ready to get back on!

If you're concerned about getting taken advantage of in Cozumel with that particular excursion, the Sail, Snorkel, Party for $50 should be fine - that's a lot of activity for $50, even if the snorkel locale was within walking distance in the first place. The only thing to consider now is if you think you or your family would be too tired that night for the Pirate party and fireworks. Again, that's a lot of activity during the day. And with the festivities starting at 10:15 (I believe), you may want to consider taking it easy on this day.

With regard to Cayman, everything should be open by the time you get off the boat. Tourist dollars are important to them, so they open early.

Have a wonderful trip, Kathy! Enjoy yourself! :thumbsup2

Thanks Tom! So one last inquiry:) If we choose to take it easy in Cozumel,
Do you have any recommendations? Do you have a preferred beach? A bunch of fellow cruisers are going to Uvas. Ever done that? As my departure date approaches... getting anxious. And with that 3 day cancellation policy:hourglass wanna have it all figured out. Thanks again for all the tips!

Hi Kathy!

First of all - I'm envious! I just got off the boat, and I'm ready to get back on!

If you're concerned about getting taken advantage of in Cozumel with that particular excursion, the Sail, Snorkel, Party for $50 should be fine - that's a lot of activity for $50, even if the snorkel locale was within walking distance in the first place. The only thing to consider now is if you think you or your family would be too tired that night for the Pirate party and fireworks. Again, that's a lot of activity during the day. And with the festivities starting at 10:15 (I believe), you may want to consider taking it easy on this day.

With regard to Cayman, everything should be open by the time you get off the boat. Tourist dollars are important to them, so they open early.

Have a wonderful trip, Kathy! Enjoy yourself! :thumbsup2

Ship.....you just got off the SHIP!!! LOL!!.....Captain Mickey will be mad at you if you use the wrong terminology. But, I know just how you feel as I just got off the SHIP on Saturday, which was my 17th DCL cruise....the Magic never fades!!!

Tom, thanks!

My husband and I are big fans of the Florida mystery genre - I will be looking for your book very soon!

Glad you had a wonderful journey on the Magic! I will be doing it "on the dime" in about 81 days for our second DCL cruise! :thumbsup2

Thanks Tom! So one last inquiry:) If we choose to take it easy in Cozumel,
Do you have any recommendations? Do you have a preferred beach? A bunch of fellow cruisers are going to Uvas. Ever done that? As my departure date approaches... getting anxious. And with that 3 day cancellation policy:hourglass wanna have it all figured out. Thanks again for all the tips!

Hi Kathy,

Chankanaab National Park or Uvas would both be fine - they're next to each other and offer similar amenities. There's always the chance that weather will be a factor: two weeks ago when we were in Cozumel in rained, so beach activities weren't possible. We shopped a little, and then caught an airing of High School Musical 3 back on board.

Tom
PS - Do you have room for me in your suitcase?

Can you take bottled water off the ship with you in a rolling cooler if you go to Chankanaab???

Hi Kathy,

Chankanaab National Park or Uvas would both be fine - they're next to each other and offer similar amenities. There's always the chance that weather will be a factor: two weeks ago when we were in Cozumel in rained, so beach activities weren't possible. We shopped a little, and then caught an airing of High School Musical 3 back on board.

Tom
PS - Do you have room for me in your suitcase?

Wish I had the room :) Rain huh? Well thanks for the tips. I guess I'll cancel the ressie we had as it's a lot of money to be "out" with my size family.
Now was it torrential rain? Or Florida rain for an hour then stays muggy and hot ? As the ship will be playing a couple of movies i wouldn't mind catching up on...Since you DID go shopping.. do recommend any particular places to either A) Must visit or B) Must avoid? Sorry to be a pest. It's the only day of my trip I don't have Nailed down. And it'll be here before I know it. 19 degrees here so looking forward to it!

Ibragves, does it really always rain in Cozumel?:scared:

Wish I had the room :) Rain huh? Well thanks for the tips. I guess I'll cancel the ressie we had as it's a lot of money to be "out" with my size family.
Now was it torrential rain? Or Florida rain for an hour then stays muggy and hot ? As the ship will be playing a couple of movies i wouldn't mind catching up on...Since you DID go shopping.. do recommend any particular places to either A) Must visit or B) Must avoid? Sorry to be a pest. It's the only day of my trip I don't have Nailed down. And it'll be here before I know it. 19 degrees here so looking forward to it!

Ibragves, does it really always rain in Cozumel?:scared:

You're not a pest at all! It gives me a chance to be on the cruise again vicariously through you!

The ship will give you a good map before you head out with all their recommended shopping spots. There's a lot of nice shops within a block or two of the pier.

Tom
PS I can drop ten pounds if you think I could squeeze in your carry-on.

Tom, thanks!

My husband and I are big fans of the Florida mystery genre - I will be looking for your book very soon!

Glad you had a wonderful journey on the Magic! I will be doing it "on the dime" in about 81 days for our second DCL cruise! :thumbsup2

Thanks CastleGazer! Get it here rather than Amazon, that way I can sign it for you:

http://www.holdfastbooks.com/order.htm

Have a wonderful trip! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter