Great Platte River Road Archway Monument in Kearney Nebraska

Never been, but grew up in the Midwest, it is pronounced CAR-knee.

Awww, you made me smile! We used to live in Kearney, my DS was born there :)
Sorry I can't answer your question though, it was built after we moved away, but I can tell you for sure that that area is chock full of history and even an important environmental area, more than one would think, so it may be worth the stop! Stop at a Runza restaurant (fast food) to taste a local favorite!

^^Lol, I moved to Nebraska from nothern NJ after I got married, I didn't speak much trying to make friends. :flower3:

Sorry to hijack your thread, Princess Vija:upsidedow

We thought it was WONDERFUL!
Very well done, fun, informative, not boring.

Please take heed of the signs on the interstate.
DO NOT STOP ON THE ROAD TO LOOK AT THE ARCH.
*I know that you're smarter than that*

We were there in 2000 right after it opened,
and were told the signs were there because a car
with some older ladies stopped right in their lane
to look at the arch - they got slammed from behind!

Because we were driving right by it again in 2005,
we took our then 18 month old son through it and he enjoyed it.
The buffalo stampede should be experienced more than once,
just stay there for a couple rounds of it if there isn't
a crowd behind you.

My DH & I would highly recommend stopping for this attraction :thumbsup2

Have been there a couple of times. Worth the stop, not the easiest to get to if you are coming in from the west, make sure you get off on the exit before the Arch or you will have to go 10 miles to Minden exit then back 10 miles to Kearney exit. Arch takes you from covered wagon days to drive-in movies to soda shops, etc. Our family enjoyed it very much. :yay::yay::yay:

We stopped once. It was entertaining. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there though.

We stopped there coming back from Chicago a few years ago. I thought it was pretty interesting and give a good background on the history of the area. It's worth a stop.

Not sure where in Nebraska that is, however, if you are heading that way soon check their department of transportation website. There was flooding over some of the highways within the past month. Not sure if it affects the area you are looking at but would hate for you to get close and be rerouted.

Awww, you made me smile! We used to live in Kearney, my DS was born there :)
Sorry I can't answer your question though, it was built after we moved away, but I can tell you for sure that that area is chock full of history and even an important environmental area, more than one would think, so it may be worth the stop! Stop at a Runza restaurant (fast food) to taste a local favorite!

My family is from Nebraska and we were just talking about the Runza Huts the other day! Good to know they are still around!

I haven't been in but under several times. I-29 is what is flooded and shut down, it's not by Kearney. I don't know anyone who says warsh or Norfork instead of Norfolk. I do love my dawg tho!;)

Thanks everyone! sounds like a great spot for us to stop.

Never been, but grew up in the Midwest, it is pronounced CAR-knee.

thanks!
Stop at a Runza restaurant (fast food) to taste a local favorite!

What is the local favorite? or is it the restaurant itself is the local favorite?

Sorry to hijack your thread, Princess Vija:upsidedow
No problem! Half of the fun threads on the DIS are from hijacked threads!

You must warsh your laundry too

I have heard that here in Wisconsin too!

The buffalo stampede should be experienced more than once,
just stay there for a couple rounds of it if there isn't
a crowd behind you.

What is the buffalo stampede?

"What is the buffalo stampede? "

Trying not to give a spoiler.
It's one of the first areas you see once you enter up top.
The "experience" of the buffalo stampede
is rather short, that's why I recommend staying
through it at least once more if there's not a crowd.
Nothing spectacular, but it's not something you see/hear every day.

Their gift shop was small but nice.
My son still has his book,
"The Cowboy ABC's" that we bought there :)

My DW said to make sure you wait for the train when you get to that section of the Arch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter