• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Great Movie Ride vintage movie clips question

Katnmouse

Mouseketeer
Can anyone tell me the name of the black and white movie musical you see a brief clip of on the big screen in the queue area. The clip is of a riverboat saloon setting with a woman playing the tambourine...obscure question I know :rolleyes1 If it is Show Boat I can't find a clip of the number anywhere. :confused3

I have been trying to go through those clips in me memory and can't think of the segment you are asking about. I did remember the tambourines played from "Showboat" but it is in color and played at the end of the ride and not in the queue

I can't recall the clip either, but there is a black and white version of Showboat. It seems odd to use the same movie twice and use two different versions, but who knows. Anything is possible.

I looked at the preshow video on this site and didn't see the scene you're talking about. Maybe if you have more time you can sift through them and see if the scene you're talking about is in there.

I'm decently certain it is Irene Dunne from the 1930's B&W version of Showboat. It's been more than a decade since I've seen the movie, but I think it's her:
show-boat-irene-dunne-1936.jpg

I always thought it was the opening scene in Showboat, where the boat pulls up, and they put on a brief show to advertize the show to the people of Natchez. I have the video, and always connected it to that.

Showboat is not featured in the preshow at GMR.

Correct.
Showboat is only featured in the closing finale movie clips.

(Since Showboat is not one of the films depicted in the actual
vignettes of the Great Movie Ride, it's not in the Pre-show waiting area
movie trailer clips.)

Here is the complete list (in order) of the Pre-show waiting area
movie trailer clips:

Footlight Parade (B&W)
Casablanca (B&W)
Mary Poppins (Color)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (Color)
Singin' in the Rain (Color)
Fantasia (Color)
Alien (Color)
The Searchers (w/John Wayne) (Color)
and the following notice:
Copyright MCMLXXXIX The Walt Disney Company
(The year in Roman numerals translates to 1984)

There is no B&W scene (or any scene) in the Pre-show of a tambourine.

There are many tambourines being played in the finale (color) clip
of Showboat.

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to have to pay closer attention next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter