Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't be a thrill ride but it will be a trackless dark ride. GMR may seem like a D ticket today but it was definitely an E when DHS opened.

Wouldn't mind seeing them bring Remy's ride over from Disneyland Paris with a little more oomph. I'd be happy if it was just a typical dark ride instead of another thrill ride and if they're going to go with an IP theme I hope it's Pixar related.

If I remember correctly they talked about closing that whole side of the park with Indy and everything and scaled back because they realized that would make DHS a literal wasteland?

Wouldn't mind seeing them bring Remy's ride over from Disneyland Paris with a little more oomph. I'd be happy if it was just a typical dark ride instead of another thrill ride and if they're going to go with an IP theme I hope it's Pixar related.

If I remember correctly they talked about closing that whole side of the park with Indy and everything and scaled back because they realized that would make DHS a literal wasteland?
It would be similar to Remy but with Mickey.

They were never going to close that whole side of the park but Indy was originally supposed to go away for Star Wars Land but then they moved Star Wars to the backlot/LMA area instead.

Movie ride was great, but disney is right to change it. Kids today have no idea of the movies and my kids hate when I talk about them.

Welcome to the Dis! I'm over 60 and some of the GMR movies represented aren't really all that interesting to me. I even have a mild interest in the history of movies, but it is time for a change.

The golden age of Hollywood is a fascinating period of Americana...

So I am sad to see it go. But hey, the kids can't tolerate anything different or historical, right?

...but anyway...how much traction is this trackless rumor getting?

That would be 2 right next to each other and repeating the horrible trend of no ingenuity in ride systems...

Doombuggies, trackless, and Kuka arm simulators are all we can muster these days, huh?

It won't be a thrill ride but it will be a trackless dark ride. GMR may seem like a D ticket today but it was definitely an E when DHS opened.
Hmmm, trackless ride has me thinking Ratatouille like Disneyland Paris. That would fit in there...

couple of things about this seems strange to me. The deal was signed for fiscal year 2014 and usually sponsorships are not for just three years. They tend to be 5 - 10 years so that would mean that the contract would end fall of 2019. even if it were for four years that would put the end in fall of 2018 and rumor has it that toys story is supposed to open sometimes in 2018. The suits that be at disney are not going to close any more attractions until they have something to replace it with. also 18 months with a closure in 2018, would put an opening somewhere in 2020. just in time to celebrate the 50th anniversary. also they said they were gutting the inside of the ride so they could even do that quicker because they don't need to do much with the track so they just have to change out sets

couple of things about this seems strange to me. The deal was signed for fiscal year 2014 and usually sponsorships are not for just three years. They tend to be 5 - 10 years so that would mean that the contract would end fall of 2019. even if it were for four years that would put the end in fall of 2018 and rumor has it that toys story is supposed to open sometimes in 2018. The suits that be at disney are not going to close any more attractions until they have something to replace it with. also 18 months with a closure in 2018, would put an opening somewhere in 2020. just in time to celebrate the 50th anniversary. also they said they were gutting the inside of the ride so they could even do that quicker because they don't need to do much with the track so they just have to change out sets
They would need to do more than change out the sets. This would be a trackless ride so you need to install censors in the ground and in various places so the ride can work.

I hope it's not another lame clamshell dark ride. What Universal has done with Harry Potter, Minions, Spider-Man, and that's an older ride, just blows what Disney does out of the water. Time to go with a better technology.

I hope it's not another lame clamshell dark ride. What Universal has done with Harry Potter, Minions, Spider-Man, and that's an older ride, just blows what Disney does out of the water. Time to go with a better technology.
Minion Mayhem is not a dark ride unlike the other ones you mentioned

I really hope they add a Mickey Mouse attraction. It seems shocking to me there are not ANY Mickey attractions considering he's the main character of Disney. I've brought this up and people just say "you can see Mickey in every park and in lots of parades". But that is not an attraction. Then they say "what about philharmagic?". That is a Donald Duck attraction. Mickey's screen time is like 15 seconds.

I NEED MORE MICKEY! I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Would love to see the front redone with mickey ears of some sort! Or a vintage theater style with a Silly Symphony billboard! Mickey from black and white to color would be neat! Or a green screen that puts you in the videos on the sides of a train ride with mickey. That would really draw alot of people! More interaction becoming part of the ride! A combination of mine train graphics, splash mountain boats, and haunted mansion trickery!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter