Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if the Great Movie Ride closes, that will leave just Tower of Terror, Toy Story Midway Mania, Rock N' Rollercoaster, Muppet Vision 3D, and Star Tours as the only attractions in the Hollywood Studios. That is if Toy Story Land or Star Wars Land is not open yet. So, you would have 5 attractions, 3 day shows, and 2 night shows at Disney's Hollywood Studios. I would still probably go to DHS, but there is no way I would use a one park per day ticket to go there if this closure actually happens. Does anyone think Disney should just close DHS instead of charging full price for only these experiences? They would probably get everything done 10x faster.

Which 3 shows are you counting? Indiana Jones, Frozen, the little mermaid, Disney Jr., Star Wars. Muppet Vision 3 D is also a show.

Let me start off by saying I absolutely adore Mickey Mouse. I love his history, I love his old cartoons, I just really like him as a character. I feel like I would really like a ride that goes through his history.

The problem that I think most people don't think about is that Mickey Mouse has transcended just being a character. He is now a symbol. Has there ever been a full length theatrical Mickey Mouse film? Latest theatrical short was Get a Horse which was 2013. Prior to that there was Runaway Brain (1995) and prior to that there was The Prince and the Pauper (1990).

I just feel like there isn't a need for a Mickey Mouse centered anything anymore. He works best when he is just an emcee (The House of Mouse). Just my two cents though.
They've tried in the past a full feature, and I believe one is still in development phase at WDAS. It's not that Mickey is more so a symbol than a legitimate character, it's always been that Mickey is a character that's really hard to write for. Walt had this problem immensely during the making of the original shorts, and even canceled the series when he felt that they ran out of story ideas for Mickey himself.

It can be done though. The first Epic Mickey was definitely an amazing example of his potential as a main character

I don't believe this is supposed to be an extreme thrill attraction. It's an e ticket for sure from what I understand though.
I don't think WDW has any extreme thrill rides, RnR, ToT, and EE are thrill rides, but I wouldn't classify any as extreme more like Mild thrill ride. Hulk would be classified as extreme for example. And they dumbed down ToT. Not the drops they used to have.

WDW has many rides that are cute for young nand old. I would love to see a more exciting ride here. Much like what Universal has done with the Harry Potter attractions. So immersive, starting with the queue
Sadly I heard They shortened the slinky coaster, and I think that whole area will be just kid stuff. Since many people go with teens or older kids, they aren't looking for another cute clamshell ride.
And 7 Dwarves, makes BTMRR look like a big thrill ride, lol.

Last edited:

This kind of saddens me. I'm not all that big a fan of the ride itself (other than the Wizard of Oz and Fantasia portions) But I love, love, love the preshow and the montage at the end. I love old Hollywood and glimpses of those old movies just brings a smile to my face. (Partially because the other people in my house don't want to watch "Old Man" movies as they call it.

But on the other hand, I love me some Mickey, so there is that :)

This kind of saddens me. I'm not all that big a fan of the ride itself (other than the Wizard of Oz and Fantasia portions) But I love, love, love the preshow and the montage at the end. I love old Hollywood and glimpses of those old movies just brings a smile to my face. (Partially because the other people in my house don't want to watch "Old Man" movies as they call it.

But on the other hand, I love me some Mickey, so there is that :)

That montage literally gives me chills! I love it. Hopefully that can come back in one form or another if the ride does close down...

This has always been my point - if the best thing about the ride is a clip montage video - then the ride is pretty terrible. YOu can see a similar clip montage and pre-show stuff just about every night of the week on TCM between movies.

Don't get me wrong - I'd prefer that they keep it a "Movie" ride - but boy it needs to be WAY better. (I wish I could get them to hire me because it WOULD be.)

This will disappoint my wife, as she loved GMR. I'm not a big fan of getting rid of it myself, but I understand some things don't last forever and it's time to move on.

This has always been my point - if the best thing about the ride is a clip montage video - then the ride is pretty terrible. YOu can see a similar clip montage and pre-show stuff just about every night of the week on TCM between movies.

Don't get me wrong - I'd prefer that they keep it a "Movie" ride - but boy it needs to be WAY better. (I wish I could get them to hire me because it WOULD be.)

That is a good point. Since I love old time Hollywood, or perhaps the Hollywood that never was, I would love to see them partner with someone like TCM and build an expanded "Hollywood Land" to keep more of the theme. I feel we are losing a bit with the new changes, even though I do like Star Wars and Pixar. But I would stay all day in a land themed and fully staffed/supported for this.

I am so saddened by this, I am an old movie fan and frequently watch TCM. (I'm an old soul at heart) I loved that the GMR tool my love of Disney and the classics and put them together. I mean come on that montage at the end?! And the famous Casablanca Scene?! I lived for that moment! I hope it is still open when I am there early December. I'd like to take a final ride.

Much like how I felt when the Back Lot Tour closed, I am going to miss the MGM I remember as a kid.

But I also understand that good business model is to be ever evolving and changing, Staying stagnant is not an option for Disney. I'm hoping for some great new attraction to go in its place.

Although the script and acting is cheesy, I really do enjoy parts of the ride (Wizard of Oz,Casablanca,Mary Poppins, ending movie montage). I hope that whatever they do they keep it a movie ride. At this point Disney probably feels that not enough of the movies in the ride are things kids know. If they update it with newer (or more popular classic movies) it could be more successful.

But they definitely need to change the acting parts. I cringe everytime.

The original montage (well anyone up until TCM came in) still gives me chills, nothing against the ride at all, the montage was just THAT good

Although the script and acting is cheesy, I really do enjoy parts of the ride (Wizard of Oz,Casablanca,Mary Poppins, ending movie montage). I hope that whatever they do they keep it a movie ride. At this point Disney probably feels that not enough of the movies in the ride are things kids know. If they update it with newer (or more popular classic movies) it could be more successful.

But they definitely need to change the acting parts. I cringe everytime.
Sorry for double posting but I just noticed this post. While I agree with you I like the cheesieness of the pre-TCM. In all honesty I wish they'd let them improvise. Who cares about the impending disaster of someone who is totally not wanting to be there, can you just imagine your tour guide having the classic movie knowledge as say, Leonard Maltin? THAT would be so much fun in my opinion

I am sad to hear about all the changes that the studios is going through. I honestly think they are doing a great dissatification to the park. I think the Studios should be to show people "movies" rather than just 1 franchise (Star Wars).

I am no longer a huge Disney fan as I used to be because of all the non-disney changes. To my family who used to love Disney to death it no longer feels like Disney.

I am sad to hear about all the changes that the studios is going through. I honestly think they are doing a great dissatification to the park. I think the Studios should be to show people "movies" rather than just 1 franchise (Star Wars).

I am no longer a huge Disney fan as I used to be because of all the non-disney changes. To my family who used to love Disney to death it no longer feels like Disney.
1 franchise? There will be several here. Star Wars, toy story, Mickey Mouse if this ride happens, little mermaid, beauty and the beast, Indiana jones.

Same here, not a fan of Star Wars or Indiana Jones. In my ideal DisneyWorld, they would have put all this as well as Pandora and Marvel into a new park and not into the existing parks. Somehow, they just aren't "Disney" in my mind.

Same here, not a fan of Star Wars or Indiana Jones. In my ideal DisneyWorld, they would have put all this as well as Pandora and Marvel into a new park and not into the existing parks. Somehow, they just aren't "Disney" in my mind.

Same here

Interesting in that I am glad they are going into DHS - that park was built hastily to counter the Universal Studios park that was to be built ... so to me it is the least "classic" Disney park of the 4

I have a much bigger issue when I hear things like the main fireworks show at Disneyland being turned into the Star Wars fireworks as to me that park, and the Magic Kingdom at WDW are the ones to keep as "classic" as possible (though, even things like Winnie the Pooh were acquired by Dinsey and not originals, so it's not a perfect thought)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter