Great Movie Ride -- scary for kids?

weschmom

Mouseketeer
My kids are 7 and 11 -- would the Great Movie Ride be scary for them? I rode it about 20 years ago and I kind of remember some dark parts and something coming down scaring us from the ceiling....? I'm sure it's changed since then.

My kids are 7 and 11 -- would the Great Movie Ride be scary for them? I rode it about 20 years ago and I kind of remember some dark parts and something coming down scaring us from the ceiling....? I'm sure it's changed since then.

Sadly, it has not changed. :rotfl2:

The scariest part is the scene from Alien, I think.

My youngest DD always closes her eyes on that part.

I never thought of this ride as scary. My three boys have been on it multiple times since they were toddlers. We recently went with our nieces, 5 and 6, and the cowboy scene with the gunfight terrifed them. They spent the rest of the ride with their faces covered. Im sure you can find it on you tube to watch and see if you think your guys would be bothered.

My girls were 4 and 6 the last time they rode. The only thing that really scared them (and that I told them in advance to shut their eyes for) was the scene from Alien.

Sadly, it has not changed. :rotfl2:

The scariest part is the scene from Alien, I think.

My youngest DD always closes her eyes on that part.

Agree. Alien and perhaps the brief Mummy scene are probably the worst parts. Some kids may not like the loud gunshots during the shootout or the fire during the cowboy version of it.

We were trying to kill some time in DHS and we took my 6 y/o nephew on it because I didn't remember it being scary at all. There were definitely some scenes that scared him (the gunfight, the alien scene being the ones I remember most), and I was afraid he was going to come out and be scared for other rides. He came out saying he enjoyed it, but there were definitely parts where he hid his eyes and I had to reassure him.

It depends on your kids. The part you are thinking of is Alien, and I usually close my eyes or look away myself - and I'm 24 :lmao: I think the last time I rode it, I made myself stare that stupid alien right in the face. What I hate about stuff like that is not knowing what's coming and having things pop out at me, so since I've been on the ride several times now, I know what to expect. That makes it easier.

The only other thing kids might find scary is the fight scene. Your driver is "kidnapped" and a gangster or cowboy takes over. But I think your kids are old enough to realize it's just acting so I wouldn't expect them to have a problem with it.

I agree with the other posters. Only the Alien scene would be something truly scary for little ones. It's pretty obvious when you start into that area, so you could always just have them close their eyes or warn them ahead of time.

My DD1and DD3 weren't scared, exactly, but it was just so very loud! It bothered me, actually, how loud it was. Not the effects, but the person talking, the music, everything. Just too loud. DD3 kept covering her ears, and DD1 kept pressing into me.

We didn't enjoy it because of that.

The music and sounds from the Alien scene make it much worse than it ends up being (I think). The creepy Alien guy comes out of the ceiling - but doesn't JUMP out at you - just sort of comes down in a cloud of steam. I think there is a lot to see and enjoy on the ride - definately worth it. :)

I took my son on Great Movie Ride when he was 5yo. It was his first ever WDW ride. The Alien scene scared him so much that he refused to go on any indoor rides the rest of the trip!

He still remembers it and he's now 25!

We went on GMR last year and the alien didn't appear. Don't know if it was a malfunction or intentional.

Totally depends on your kids. My older son was 5 his first time and he LOVED it, scary Alien scene and all. My younger son will be 4 when we go and I can't imagine that he's going to like it for a long long time.

I never thought it was scary and hopped right on the ride with my just turned 4 year old twins and my 2 year old in November. We didn't have any issues.

Not by much :rotfl:

The alien is creepy.

The Wicked Witch is... well... The Wicked Witch.

You can warn them of both. If they've seen Wizard if Oz, ask them if the can tell if the Witch is a real person or not.

My daughter found fantasmic scary(among other things) at the age of 7. She was fine with this ride though.

It really depends on the kid, but our DD had JUST turned four and this was her first ride ever at any WDW park. She absolutely LOVED it! We rode it over and over and we always had to ride in the front so she could sit by the "bad guy". Hahaha! :)

something coming down scaring us from the ceiling....? I'm sure it's changed since then.

It HAS changed since it first opened. Alien used to come about 12 inches from the face of the person in the center of the boat. Now, he barely pokes out. I was absolutely petrified of it as a kid. Not just that part, but that was the worst part. However, it has been probably 20 years since they changed it. It wasn't like that for very long.

I got really creeped out when I was young over the Alien area. I also remember the Indy section being kind of creepy...but not nearly as bad as Alien.

My girls are younger, 5 and 2, but they were scared of it.

They looked down the whole time. We are going back in November and we won't take them on it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter