• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Great movie ride and other rides leaving for good????

Lets also remember that this the the Rumors board not the "flights of fantasy" board. pirate:

Thank goodness it's posted in the "Disney RUMORS and News" section then, right? ;)

Part of my point, but these are a bit really over the top with no real support.!......However I hope everyone enjoys the discussion.

Plus, the Poly thing is for real. They've already released the concept drawings and everything.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/dis...e-newly-renamed-polynesian-village-resort.htm

As to the poly I didn't mention the Poly, however, that is much more then rumor, it been announced by Disney and the plans and art work prove it.

AKK

S. Donald is my favorite as well, the original angry bird *G*

They're getting rid of Maelstrom?!?! That's been a tradition of mine for two decades of hitting Epcot!!! I noticed this last week that there is some construction already being made on the outside where you "go over the falls" to the open window...

And I thought "Soarin" was super popular? It always has a wait :/ I'm confused.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The construction at Maelstrom is just refurbishment work on the waterfall area. I don't see them getting rid of Maelstrom completely, at most they would just re-theme it to Frozen, but even that is just a rumor.

As much as I love Frozen, I would be devastated to lose Maelstrom completely. That was the first ride I rode when I was 3 years old and I've loved it ever since. I did have an interesting conversation with some of the Norwegian cast members at Kringla Bakery when I was there a couple of months ago. It seems most of them are very frustrated by the way Frozen has started to take over the Norwegian Pavilion. They understand the popularity of the movie and certainly don't blame Disney for capitalizing on it, but they're frustrated that most of the other pavilions are visited for their culture and Norway is starting to just become the Frozen pavilion.

In terms of TGRM, I hope they don't get rid of it completely, but I'm not sure there's any ride at Disney that needs a refurbishment more. I'm a huge movie buff, but even I'm bored with some of their choices. I'd like to see them keep The Wizard of Oz and a couple of the more widely appealing scenes, and then replace the really outdated ones, like Footlight Parade.

OMG..DHS and EPCOT are hanging by a thread as it is!

What a brilliant move to take away even more rides from two parks that are barely limping along.

If they were to do *this* it would be yet *another* reason for people to just visit the MK while they stay offsite and spend even more dollars at Universal.

Seriously? "Hanging by a thread and Barely limping along?" :rotfl:

There has been talk of Soar'n becoming Soar'n Over the World for many years now so that changing isn't a surprise.

Frozen in Norway is a no-brainer. It makes me SMH when I hear all these whiners complain about Frozen coming to Norway but if it enhances the park, then they need to do it.

I've heard rumors, also for a few years now, that the Chinese Theater would be changed to the Carthay Circle Theater like in California Adventure. This would make the most sense and would allow for Disney to get rid of the Sorcerer's Hat or, at least, move it elsewhere.

Captain EO stinks and needs to go. I wasn't a fan of Michael Jackson and was never fan of this. It was an easy way for Disney to transition from Honey I Shrunk The Audience but now they need to really transition it.

The Poly Lobby is fine and I think it really needs to be done. That feature takes up such a large footprint in that lobby. I have heard some things they are planning and there will be a nod to the old fountain in the new build.

I think the Soarin' stuff shouldn't be considered a rumor anymore. They are definitely bringing in a digital film. They've shot flyover footage at both DLR and WDW. It'll go into DCA first, and was originally supposed to be this year, but got delayed because the projectors weren't ready. I think it's next year now. No announcement on Florida yet, but I would guess it will follow quickly. With two theaters, they could close them one at a time to retrofit the projectors.

There has been talk of Soar'n becoming Soar'n Over the World for many years now so that changing isn't a surprise.

Frozen in Norway is a no-brainer. It makes me SMH when I hear all these whiners complain about Frozen coming to Norway but if it enhances the park, then they need to do it.

I've heard rumors, also for a few years now, that the Chinese Theater would be changed to the Carthay Circle Theater like in California Adventure. This would make the most sense and would allow for Disney to get rid of the Sorcerer's Hat or, at least, move it elsewhere.

Captain EO stinks and needs to go. I wasn't a fan of Michael Jackson and was never fan of this. It was an easy way for Disney to transition from Honey I Shrunk The Audience but now they need to really transition it.

The Poly Lobby is fine and I think it really needs to be done. That feature takes up such a large footprint in that lobby. I have heard some things they are planning and there will be a nod to the old fountain in the new build.

:thumbsup2

They don't need to completely throw out Norway from Maelstrom and make it all Frozen. All they need to do is add some Frozen elements in a scene or two and do a few things to connect Frozen to the culture and history of Norway. That shouldn't be hard to do since many cultural elements from Norway were used in Frozen. Everyone will be happy. Maelstrom will still be about Norway AND will contain some Frozen elements. Norway isn't going to complain about any connections; tourism is on the rise specifically because of Frozen!! And instantly Maelstrom will become the #1 ride at Epcot for the next 5 years. :P

Disney needs to update so I am happy. I can't afford to be nostaglic about such things. Disney needs to move along like the rest of us and improve and move with the times. The norway ride is boring and tedios. A little better theming would do it the world of good. The great movie ride too needs a update. I love it but I can see that's from nostaglic shake. Get some more movies out in it. They could add star wars into it, breakfast at tiffinys, godzilla, forrest gump, pulp fiction, marvel movies were popular in early 2000 and will continue to be so add that too. Also the only other popular movies during this time were harry potter,lotr but that might be tricky to do....

Point is change is always a good thing no matter how much it may seem at the time as bad. I for one would welcome these changes.

I can see the reasoning behind wanting to update attractions like TGMR and Maelstrom, but I love those attractions and still hope they stay just as they are. I think some things at Disney World are traditions and are timeless and should remain as they are. TGMR is wonderful and classic, and I love how it adds to the sort of old Hollywood vibe of the park. This may be naive, but sometimes I wish that new attractions wouldn't have to replace old ones but just be put in the parks in addition to the older/original ones. Isn't it possible to have Soarin' over California AND whatever New Soarin' is coming soon? Is it possible to have the Great Movie Ride remain as it is and also have an attraction with more contemporary films alongside it? I for one would have loved it if Snow White's Scary Adventures could have continued to remain in the MK even with 7DMT existing now (although I do know that a few animatronic parts from Snow White were reused for 7DMT).

Please please please put something new in place of TGMR. I don't enjoy it (and I really dislike The Wizard of Oz section - gives me the heebies - but I dislike the movie as well and for the same reason). I enjoy looking at the costumes, props and movie clips while in line far more than the ride itself. I would rather have a ride through the history of the film industry (spaceship earth style maybe) rather than a disjointed jog through a couple of movie genres loosely tied together by a CM's insertion into the scenes...

And yet I still ride the darned thing everytime I'm there!:rotfl2:

Move Muppets out for Star Wars, them turn the Great Movie Ride into the Great Muppet Ride with audio anamotronic muppets in all the movie scenes.

Last year when I rode TGMR I was extremely disappointed. It's been quite a while since I'd been to HS and I guess I'd gotten a huge case of nostalgia goggles. Nothing like what I remembered. Boring and slow.

However Muppets is just as great as I remember.

If they can find a way to update or rejuvenate both rides I'd love to see them stay, but I understand that something needs to be done to both.

I like the idea of a frozen ride in Epcot

I dont like that idea. My husband doesnt care for that park because of the lack of rides. Frozen is not one he would go to that park for. It would go well in Hollywood studios or MK. Depends on if they make it a kiddie ride or if it's a roller coaster though too!

I offend wonder going through then TGMR. Does anyone under 30 have any idea of who these people are? When the last time was any of these black and white movies were on television? It's a great ride just so outdated. Time just go by really fast now, in computer years!! When the last time a Weston was was on TV. Does any child under 20 know what a Weston was?

As much as I personally enjoy the Great Movie Ride, I can see that and 4 of the 5. But Soarin? When was the last time (except right at rope drop) anyone saw a stand by line of less than 45 minutes? They would be dumb to get rid of that (yes it's also my favorite, but even if that weren't the case, the amount of interest would make it dumb, in my opinion to get rid of that ride.

I offend wonder going through then TGMR. Does anyone under 30 have any idea of who these people are? When the last time was any of these black and white movies were on television? It's a great ride just so outdated. Time just go by really fast now, in computer years!! When the last time a Weston was was on TV. Does any child under 20 know what a Weston was?

I was wondering the same thing last time I was on the ride. It didn't hit me until we reached the Tarzan area, and it happened to be the third straight time I was holding back from correcting the TGMR guide on the pronunciation of Johnny Weissmuller's last name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter