Great meal followed by gastric rebellion?

Mama Twinkles

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Anybody ever become wary of a WDW restaurant after having a great meal followed by, er, gastric distress? This happened to me with Boma. I think it was caused by the spiced seafood soup (delish, though). I suspect the reason was the spicing rather than anything bacteriological. But I still am tempted to return. Any foods to watch out for at WDW? Hope this isn't too repellant a thread.

We had a little "distress" after the ESPN club.

We try to stay away from "raw" foods and get something cooked if we are not feeling well or when we are on vacation-just to be safe. I figure maybe we have a better chance of not getting sick if something is baked or cooked otherwise for a while.

There are a lot of people who get a little distress after eating certain spices and this could very well be what happened to you. You never know.

I would definately give it another try and maybe just try to avoid anything with strange spices. I'm sure the wait staff at any restaurant at WDW would be more than happy to advise you on what is in certain entrees. I think this is even more likely to happen at Boma because so many people ask about what dishes are made with.

planet hollywood in dtd created copious amounts of distress for the eater and anyone within 100 yards after a spicy shrimp /thai type dish...let's just leave it at that

Happened to me after Chef Mickey's for dinner. I now believe it was from an overload of rich food and too much caffeine (I hardly ever drink anything caffeinated and must have had 2 pitchers of iced tea myself!)
Karla B.:eek:

Originally posted by jann1033
planet hollywood in dtd created copious amounts of distress for the eater and anyone within 100 yards after a spicy shrimp /thai type dish...let's just leave it at that

Mmm. Sounds like a must-try. LOL.

It's interesting that you mention it started out as a 'great meal' but ended badly. I don't think you should hold this against the restaurant, especially my personal favorite, Boma! :) It could definitely be the unusual spices or richness of the food along with many other factors.

Several years ago, we had a wonderful(ly rich) meal at Chefs De France then walked back to the YC. I'm not sure if it was the food (I wasn't used to food that rich) or the walk in heels (too much exercise is never a good thing) or the heat but that entire meal came back up! :o I cringe when I think of the money wasted. We never have returned there but we haven't ruled it out.

I would say that if the seasoning of the food at Boma is not to your liking then stay away but if you think it was some kind of a fluke then definitely give this place another chance! It's awesome!

Mama

It is usual to happen when you are travelling, mainly when you eat light food at your house, if you had a 'distress' don t forget to drink a lot of water . When i travel i avoid raw food when i eat in a buffet (easy to contaminate) and i always carry with me some drugs to improve the digestion, you should ask your MD.

Gutto

DH and I both had gastric distress after eating at Boma. The funny thing is that the only food we had in common was the field green salad. He is more adventurous than I am.

This happened to DH years ago at Concourse Steak House. All I can remember that was unusual about his meal were shiitake mushrooms.

Ann:earsgirl:

Thanks for all the interesting and supportive responses, everyone. Avoiding raw foods sounds like the way to go. I can't completely discount my "gut reaction" to Boma, but will likely return for more punishment. Maybe they put something psychoactive and alluring in the food....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter