Great Huffington Post article on what Disney really needs in a new CEO

BigTigger

DIS Veteran
Full article is here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-..._6520290.html?utm_hp_ref=business&ir=Business

I found this quote to be so true of what we all want Disney to still be:

"As to the consumer, whose focus is not on slick and sappy marketing but the actual product delivered, Disney is not a jumble or inventory of creative content. It is not a Time Warner or a Comcast. Disney has the liability and the gift of being Disney."

And this quote of the reality of what Disney has become under Iger:

"Only these days, more of its most zealous followers are straying as they question whether Disney remains Disney. Whether the company that delivered Steamboat Willie and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs has any connection -- any sense of heritage -- with a company spitting out popcorn and pop culture products under the shingles of Marvel Entertainment and Lucasfilm placed upon a castle built by a man named Walt Disney."

That was a good article. I especially like how it included Al Lutz from micechat.

Another thing I would like to add is wdwmagic and micechat were the two sites mentioned. Those two and the Dis are the three biggest Disney sites out there. I really think the Dis wasn't mentioned because they are much nicer in terms of posts. Micechat and Wdwmagic are literal they tell it how it is no pixie dust much like how some here on this very board try to be.

Absolutely ridiculous story intended only to advance the views of the author. Each point could easily be countered by anybody with a modicum of business background.

Absolutely ridiculous story intended only to advance the views of the author. Each point could easily be countered by anybody with a modicum of business background.
It's an opinionated article as it was intended to be. That's your opinion. I think the article represents where Disney is today. Iger has done good things but also not so good things same way with Eisner and even Walt.

It's an opinionated article as it was intended to be. That's your opinion. I think the article represents where Disney is today. Iger has done good things but also not so good things same way with Eisner and even Walt.

I agree with you about article... my best line Walt got it, Michael got it , Bob Iger is clueless and glad he is going... Just my opinion, I think it might be making money now but I think the feeling at Disney is lost.

I agree with you about article... my best line Walt got it, Michael got it , Bob Iger is clueless and glad he is going... Just my opinion, I think it might be making money now but I think the feeling at Disney is lost.
I agree with you there. Today's Disney is definitely not Walt's Disney not even Eisner's Disney. Disney is too focused on relying on its name and brand and where it came from rather than continuing to make a name for themselves. Disney hasn't done revolutionary things or industry changing things lately.

I agree with you there. Today's Disney is definitely not Walt's Disney not even Eisner's Disney. Disney is too focused on relying on its name and brand and where it came from rather than continuing to make a name for themselves. Disney hasn't done revolutionary things or industry changing things lately.

But it has...MyMagicExperience is an industry changer. It's brilliant...but it's not geared towards the consumer, even though it's sold that way.

Interesting article. Disney has changed over the years. Whether that's for good or bad is up to the individual.

But it has...MyMagicExperience is an industry changer. It's brilliant...but it's not geared towards the consumer, even though it's sold that way.

Ok I'll give you that one. MM+ is something that companies around the globe will look at. It's a data collector and consumer tracker even tho they say it isn't. You can really see which FPs are most popular, which stores are, what products are, who goes where when, wtc. In other parts of the industry Disney hasn't released a revolutionary movie or show in a while. Frozen was a mega success but the tech wasn't really new. WDW hasn't had any revolutionary rides. The mine train swings side to side but that isn't that special. Avatar might bring something but we don't know yet. Disneyland hasn't seen much either.

I've come to find after reading more into this article especially on other forums that Iger is much different than Eisner. The comparison came up if Iger were placed in Epcot he wouldn't know how to get around where as Eisner would know everything. That's the kind of CEO Eisner was he was involved in everything, while not always good, he knew his company very well. Iger sees his company as a bunch of brands and he just is in charge of it. Iger has brought in a ton of IP while good what has he really done with them other than put them under the Disney umbrella. Eisner had one big acquisition during his time that being Cap Cities/ABC. Not the biggest but arguably the best of all the Disney acquisitions and it also brought in ESPN which is a huge money maker for them. Eisner was always aware of what was going on and when it's going to happen. Can we say the same for Iger? I don't think so. Iger came from inside the company. Eisner did not. When Igers contract is up I think the best solution for Disney is not inside the company but outside find someone new that can learn and develop the great company into what got us to love it in the first place.

1) I was OVERLY critical of Eisner during his second decade at the helm.
. . . rightfully, I hope
. . . during the first 10-yrs, he did great things to save & bring back Disney
. . . but, he got more than a little autocratic during the second 10-yrs
2) After seeing Ogre (oops, I mean Iger), I can't believe what I am saying.
3) But, I wish Eisner was back !
4) Yes, he did think about The Bottom Line, however,
. . . I think he really did care about guests and guest experience
. . . I think he really did care about Walt's legacy toward families and kids
. . . I think he really did care about improving/expanding the parks and not just cost-cutting

Iger has done some great things for the company though. While he sure has neglected the theme park division, I personally think he has done great things for the studios, acquiring Pixar Studios at a critical point in their relationship with Disney being one of the best decisions taken.

I do agree that Eisner had a closer relationship to the brand than Iger, but let's not forget the late stages of Eisner's saga, which arguably brought some of the most mediocre theme parks Disney has ever built.

I agree that the company needs someone who is closer to the brand and its original spirit of delivering quality entertainment, though. Iger's business mentality hasn't been exactly benefitial for the brand's reputation.

Iger has done some great things for the company though. While he sure has neglected the theme park division, I personally think he has done great things for the studios, acquiring Pixar Studios at a critical point in their relationship with Disney being one of the best decisions taken. I do agree that Eisner had a closer relationship to the brand than Iger, but let's not forget the late stages of Eisner's saga, which arguably brought some of the most mediocre theme parks Disney has ever built. I agree that the company needs someone who is closer to the brand and its original spirit of delivering quality entertainment, though. Iger's business mentality hasn't been exactly benefitial for the brand's reputation.
I agree

Without Eisner's last years would we have AK and DCA today?

I agree

Without Eisner's last years would we have AK and DCA today?

I mean... AK and DisneySea were opened during Eisner's last years. Both very impressive, yes. But then you have Disney Studios in Paris and California Adventure, which are arguably the two worst theme parks Disney has done in their original state. Iger actually saved those. Funny thing, considering that DCA is now one of my favorite Disney parks.

I think Iger's mistake was to focus so much on the media division of the company by neglecting parks and resorts. And it seems he wants to rectify and fix the parks now that he is getting closer to leave. I guess he wants to leave on a good note.

I mean... AK and DisneySea were opened during Eisner's last years. Both very impressive, yes. But then you have Disney Studios in Paris and California Adventure, which are arguably the two worst theme parks Disney has done in their original state. Iger actually saved those. Funny thing, considering that DCA is now one of my favorite Disney parks. I think Iger's mistake was to focus so much on the media division of the company by neglecting parks and resorts. And it seems he wants to rectify and fix the parks now that he is getting closer to leave. I guess he wants to leave on a good note.
DCA and Disneyland Paris were good concepts but they didn't pull through. Paris was way over budget many short cuts take. It does arguably have to best Disney castle of them all. DCA also over budget and attendance started to drop which meant disney had to something. Paris was more of a maintenance problem where they just didn't take care of it. Also Disney wasn't majority owner of Paris until now. I agree with the second part that Iger is trying to fix things now but it shouldn't have come to that point.

DCA and Disneyland Paris were good concepts but they didn't pull through. Paris was way over budget many short cuts take. It does arguably have to best Disney castle of them all. DCA also over budget and attendance started to drop which meant disney had to something. Paris was more of a maintenance problem where they just didn't take care of it. Also Disney wasn't majority owner of Paris until now. I agree with the second part that Iger is trying to fix things now but it shouldn't have come to that point.

I had to jump on and comment after reading this and other posts like this one.

Do you all remember what California Adventure was like only a couple of years ago (which notoriously was done on the cheap)? Do you all remember how dead Walt Disney Animation was? Do you guys remember how terrible each and every movie that Walt Disney Pictures put out was? How the parks were a filthy mess?

I'm not going to take the time to explain how awful the early 2000's were.

Iger may have stepped on a few toes over his years as CEO of Disney, but he has been an enormous asset. The company has grown more under his leadership alone then any other one of their CEOs combined.

I have my own grievances with Iger (to much IP and not enough original theme park content coming from them these days), but really to call Iger out for anything related to weakening the brand is ridiculous at best.

Honestly, I'd say Iger is even now going park by park to fix all of Eisner's mistakes.

rteez, the maintenance stuff is far more recent. DLP originally was over budget as you say. (Actually I'd say very few "road cuts" were taken.) However the problem that DLP had back when it opened was related to far too many Resort Hotels and them not selling alcohol on property. After several years they actually started making money. Before they opened the most ridiculous Disney Park ever conceived; Walt Disney Studios Park. Taking all the worst parts of Hollywood Studios (the lack of rides and massive ugly concrete "soundstage") it quickly failed putting the once profitable Euro Disney SCA back in the red. It was after that and much weaker sales during the recession and financial meltdown that led to the rotting decaying Resort of today.

Frankly I think this is a bad time to be doubling down on investment there as the Greeks are being loony.

The best Castle is tricky. I've never seen DLP's in person. I'm going Cinderella because it fits nicely at the intersection of realistic and fairytale.

I had to jump on and comment after reading this and other posts like this one. Do you all remember what California Adventure was like only a couple of years ago (which notoriously was done on the cheap)? Do you all remember how dead Walt Disney Animation was? Do you guys remember how terrible each and every movie that Walt Disney Pictures put out was? How the parks were a filthy mess? I'm not going to take the time to explain how awful the early 2000's were. Iger may have stepped on a few toes over his years as CEO of Disney, but he has been an enormous asset. The company has grown more under his leadership alone then any other one of their CEOs combined. I have my own grievances with Iger (to much IP and not enough original theme park content coming from them these days), but really to call Iger out for anything related to weakening the brand is ridiculous at best. Honestly, I'd say Iger is even now going park by park to fix all of Eisner's mistakes. rteez, the maintenance stuff is far more recent. DLP originally was over budget as you say. (Actually I'd say very few "road cuts" were taken.) However the problem that DLP had back when it opened was related to far too many Resort Hotels and them not selling alcohol on property. After several years they actually started making money. Before they opened the most ridiculous Disney Park ever conceived; Walt Disney Studios Park. Taking all the worst parts of Hollywood Studios (the lack of rides and massive ugly concrete "soundstage") it quickly failed putting the once profitable Euro Disney SCA back in the red. It was after that and much weaker sales during the recession and financial meltdown that led to the rotting decaying Resort of today. Frankly I think this is a bad time to be doubling down on investment there as the Greeks are being loony. The best Castle is tricky. I've never seen DLP's in person. I'm going Cinderella because it fits nicely at the intersection of realistic and fairytale.
They were forced to open WDS they didn't want to the French government made them. I have never seen DLP either I was just saying its said to be the best. Again Disney didn't own DLP until a couple months ago.

Eisner brought a dead Walt Disney company and revived it. Before Eisner Disney wasn't doing all that great he took over and changed everything everywhere and we got what many say was disneys golden age. Iger is basically just carrying on what was handed to him. Yes he has picked up some companies along the way and props to him for that but did Disney need them no. In terms of the parks Iger hasn't done until recently much more than he had too. Eisner absolutely loved the parks and still does. Can you say the same about Iger? I keep asking would we have gotten AK or DCA without Eisner?

They were forced to open WDS they didn't want to the French government made them. I have never seen DLP either I was just saying its said to be the best. Again Disney didn't own DLP until a couple months ago.

Eisner brought a dead Walt Disney company and revived it. Before Eisner Disney wasn't doing all that great he took over and changed everything everywhere and we got what many say was disneys golden age. Iger is basically just carrying on what was handed to him. Yes he has picked up some companies along the way and props to him for that but did Disney need them no. In terms of the parks Iger hasn't done until recently much more than he had too. Eisner absolutely loved the parks and still does. Can you say the same about Iger? I keep asking would we have gotten AK or DCA without Eisner?

Yeah, but the end result was a piece of trash that led them into further financial trouble. It doesn't matter why they did it, what matters is the product ended up bringing the company into a vulnerable position that exists even today. (speaking of Eisner, when a board member spoke up about WDS's problems she was shortly relieved of her position. He was always a good listener.)

Since the 1990's they have had complete control and they helped finance it through bonds.

Castles are all relative. There can't be a best one.

Eisner's big breakthroughs were raising ticket and parking prices, hiring Katzenburg, and releasing movies on VHS. The last is perhaps his greatest contribution to Disney and the industry. Though he did it extremely cautiously. During the late 1990's and 2000's he terrorized executives, squeezed the parks dry, and ruined the morale at the company. Oh, and he bought the muppets and Fox Family.

Iger's contributions reviving the theme parks, bringing back morale and creativity to the company's workforce, and finally acquiring the talent and the brands to create great content cannot be overlooked. He also was the first brave media executive to jump into the world of digital. iTunes, Netflix and other services wouldn't exist without the precedent he and Steve Jobs set.

To your big question, AK and Cali? Yes. They'd just be tons better then the parks we had when they opened. You have to remember rteetz that up until Animal Kingdom Disney had Never had a park under deliver. Cali and AK were obvious choices. Iger is certainly not afraid of expansion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter