Great garage sale/thrift weekend- how about you?

mrsklamc

<font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what
I just wanted to share my finds as they are the best I've had in awhile. I've wanted an old card catalog for awhile but they go for at least $150 and up depending on how big they are- got one off craigslist for $40.

My favorite garage sale of the year was this weekend too- a local HS band does all the clothes you can fit in a bag for $5, they always have piles and piles of clothes and for that price I grab anything remotely interesting- bought 5 bags, and besides the clothes that included a new pair of bearpaw boots and a nice pair of naturalizers. I'm sure the proceeds from what doesn't fit right going to the consignment store will more than cover the $25 I spent. I just had to share with someone who would appreciate it! How did you guys do this weekend?

No thrift store shopping for me, as I was camping this weekend with my family. But I always love reading about the awesome finds scored at thrift stores/garage sales!
My last great thrift store purchase was a couple of weeks ago when I bought a very nice Cole Haan leather handbag for $1.50.
Nice haul, mrsklamc. I love $5 a bag sales!

None this weekend but a couple of weeks ago I bought a "looks like new" Vera Bradley purse for $2.99!!! Giving it to my daughter for Christmas!

I'm sorry..what is a card catalog? The old wooden boxes libraries used to use?

I didn't have much luck this week, but I did get a deluxe Scrabble board. DD8 LOVES it, and it's great spelling/vocab and math practice (I make her keep score). Plus, it reminds me of my Nana, who spent HOURS playing with me when I was little. :lovestruc

Last weekend, I found a great desk for DD6's room for only $10! We spent Saturday and Sunday refinishing it (dark brown to white to match her other furniture). Then I spent $30 on cute flower-shaped knobs for the seven drawers. :rotfl: Still, it's a great-looking desk for $40 total.

My husband got a great leather motorcycle jacket for $5! It was a bit dusty, but it cleaned right up.

We hit a neighborhood yard sale Saturday morning on our way out... less time than we like to spend, but we had somewhere to be... Well, in that 20 minutes, DD7 got an entire printer-paper case full of "polly pocket" toys for $10, and her cousin , also 7 bought a large (boot-box sized) box of older "Betty Spaghetti" toys for $3... They were in heaven... they still haven't stopped playing with them... I have a picture of my 14-year-old niece playing with them, too... it was funny, she said "They just don't make Betty Spaghetti like this anymore..."

So--great bargain (the Polly Pockets would have run $100s new, a dozen or more dolls, the limo, the mall, the house, and hundreds of outfits...) BUT... now there are hundreds more tiny things to get caught in my vacuum, to require hours of sorting in the toy bins... etc... On the upside, I love buying toys at yardsales, because I feel no guilt at all just throwing them away if they don't get taken care of...

DD4 got one of those pillows that goes behind you and has "armrests", I don't know what they're called, but she's been wanting one, and it was $2, and a whole box of dress-up for $3... I haven't gone through it yet, but I saw some tiaras and a leotard...

So it was a good 20 minutes... didn't find a toaster, which is what we were looking for, but that's ok...

This past weekend wasn't great for yard sale-ing. But I did get an older original X-box with 2 controllers and a game for $10. The kids wanted one.

I also got one of those crab aquariums with stuff inside for .50. The boys have to take care of a reptile or amphibian for 30 days for their merit badge and .50 is about what I was willing to spend!

I also got 14 DVD movies for $1 each. They were owned by an older couple, no kids, and were in once watched condition.

Dawn

We scored a brand new in the box brushed nickel goose neck Delta kitchen faucet with sprayer for $30. They still sell the model at Lowe's for $198. Our kitchen remodel is another step closer!

DD4 got one of those pillows that goes behind you and has "armrests", I don't know what they're called, but she's been wanting one, and it was $2, and a whole box of dress-up for $3... I haven't gone through it yet, but I saw some tiaras and a leotard...

QUOTE]

i think it is called a "husband".

I found this one for $6 at a thrift store. I use it EVERY DAY!

http://www.bedlounge.com/

Dawn

So it was a good 20 minutes... didn't find a toaster, which is what we were looking for, but that's ok...

I found 2 gorgeous smocked dresses for my DD for $3 each at the church thrift store last week. I looked them up on Ebay and they sell for a good amount...I'm saving them for picture dresses first, though.

ETA - I also found my 5 year-old a fleece jacket in great condition for 75 cents. It was just Faded Glory brand, but it still looked nice and will be perfect for fall/early winter here (we live in FL). Now I just need to find her a winter coat for cheap and she'll be all set!

i'm not a big garage sale/thrift store person anymore (just don't have the time) but drove by a garage sale that had two big, good quality bean bag chairs. $2 apiece. I bought them for my dd's church youth group room and the director was quite happy with the donation.

Julia

I picked up a huge Frye leather tote for $3 at the thrift the week before last. :cool1:

I was so thrilled with my yard sale find...from the parks, a Mickey ears baseball cap for toddlers..until I got it home and it wouldn't fit my son's head :( Brand new too.

Also scored an adorable toddler bed for $5, perfect shape.

Final steal was a brand new in the box pair of Mizuno cleats for hubby - $2.

Big find was 2 bases for the HE washers for $20 for both. They sell for about 200.00 at Home Depot. I also found a hide away couch that was 2 years old in fabulous condition on Craigslist for 250.00. I also found a cool lamp for 1.50. I spray painted it dark brown and it looks great! Got really nice hedge trimmer for .25( cost 10.00-20.00) Pretty good deals.

Stopped at Goodwill today and found a Vera Bradley garment bag new condition for $5 :lovestruc

I also bought a portable photo printer to take scrapbooking for $2.50 last weekend. It was a good weekend!

I was so thrilled with my yard sale find...from the parks, a Mickey ears baseball cap for toddlers..until I got it home and it wouldn't fit my son's head :( Brand new too.

Also scored an adorable toddler bed for $5, perfect shape.

Final steal was a brand new in the box pair of Mizuno cleats for hubby - $2.

the hat probably didn't fit the head of the toddler it was bought for either.

we were puttering around on Monday at stopped at Goodwill and got all the below for about $45:

1 rolling clothing rack

2 AG store shirts for YDD - Chicago & New York (to go along with the DC one I just bought at the store for $22 :headache: )

1 Gap polo for ODS

10 WDW tops/sweatshirts for the kids - including a really cute Imagineer t-shirt. Never seen anything like that before.

2 audio book collections for DH (that sell for $50 & $80 each!)

a makeup mirror that I was looking for

a mirror for YDD's room that I was looking for

2 WDW popcorn buckets that I didn't have (never seen those at a thrift store before and I 'collect' them)

a TOT drinking glass

a 1990 Disney Christmas display plate

Magic Kingdom ashtray?/candy dish - older style, DH wanted it, I'm not sure what I'll do with it though

a brand new sealed Tron vehicle case (for DH :laughing: )

Clone Wars trooper voice changer helmet

5 books for DH

2 t-shirts for ODD

about 10 tops for the boys - Gap, Star Wars, Gymboree and an Under Armor top for ODS

new sealed package of pipe cleaners for the kids

5 packages of Harry Potter silly bands

YDD got 2 l/s Justice & Limited Too tops and a pink polo shirt for school

new sealed powermat battery pack for DS's DS lite - the piece you attach to the system so you can just lay it on the powermat to charge

I think that's it. It was a TON of stuff and some great Disney finds. The kids can have some 'new' WDW clothing to wear on vacations now. LOL

forgot...there was also a new sealed puzzle and a new sealed Pixos kit. I already put those back for Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter