Great, Another FP+ Post

Csaks

DIS Veteran
Reflecting back and I think we are done with Disney for a long while. I hate FP+, ADR's and planning within an inch of my life. I'm on vacation damn it!

It was weird, we had fun but not as much as we always have in the past. We both felt that Disney is way more work than it ever has been in the past and it seems to have sucked all the fun out of it. I am not as regimented at work as I am on a Disney vacation these days. I, as with others pay good money to escape from everyday life. I'm tied to my phone 7 days a week, I used to love going there, throwing it in the safe and going on my day. Not now, you need that sucker to get by now at the parks. The rushing to and fro for either FP+ or dining ressies made days feel like a blur. I even saw people on their phones in the middle of a ride, Haunted, Pirates and I poop you not Space, four people in front of me in my car. Teenage girl with her head buried in her phone, privately hoping she'd lose it. Who the hell do you need to text/ e-mail or Facebook in the middle of a ride? Rides that I have never seen crazy standby lines now have them, Living with the Land had a 20 minute standby, REALLY?

Put me down as a grumpy old timer waxing nostalgic about the good old days of waking up in the morning, late, checking the crowd history at the parks for that day of the week and just winging it. We had a ball, explored, discovered stuff, now it's rush here, rush there check times and rush some more. Our three days at Universal had that feel I remember at Disney back when we started going in 2001. I'm sad to say Universal was the highlight of our trip. As for Disney, we didn't feel excitement to go back like we always have in the past. Normally we are trying to figure out how to save for the next one, instead it was, 'we could have used that money to reno the kitchen, yard, etc...' Glad we didn't buy DVC a couple of trips ago.

We absolutely love the convenience of Magicbands for the room, dinning and extra charges. Glad some of you folks love FP+ but not these two, just adds an extra level of planning we don't need.

Sorry about the rant. On a positive, more room for the rest of ya! LOL

I agree we only did a week this year as opposed to our normal two week trip. We tried FP+ last year and it didn't seem as bad but this year it was really not as good. We love October for the weather and F&W.

Parks seemed WAY more crowded than I've ever seen before. And standby lines way larger than ever. 55mins plus for HM and the fast pass line was over 20mins same time last year it was pretty much walk on.

As for the construction everywhere it was just so off putting.

We are normally like you planning next years trip but neither of us are feeling it. We have decided to leave it until maybe 2016. I still get excited when j see the TV ads etc but it's not the same I want to go back feeling I get. It's just the memories that they bring back.

Agreed FP+ was better last year...but I think that's because it was not fully implemented yet so there was a lot more availability.

It was still a mix of both so not everyone had access to FP+ or even new about it.
Most were still using FP-

And yes..the parks seem just busier...Free dining..jersey week...Veterans Day...Disney also sent out a lot of pins and had a lot of discounts..they know how to fill the parks

As a solo traveler FP+ was not all that bad...it's much easier to get a FP+ for yourself then a group of three or four.

For example the wait for HM was 30 minutes..I was able to get an immediate FP+
Same with several rides.

In Epcot I was able to get Sorin almost immediately (well 30 minutes from then)..even though there were no FP+ available according to the staff.

The biggest issue I see is they ended the testing way too soon and rolled it out before it was ready.
The app is down for days at time.
There are far to few Kiosks and many are closed until later in the day.
The lines at the kiosks are not being manged for the most part..it is a free for all
You cant get rides at different parks in advance or at the kiosks.
The kiosks need an option to show what is available by time..right now it is just alphabetical..to you have to click on each ride and see the time...I want to see what is available now.
The tier system is a joke.

Regardless of what they say..not everyone is aware of it or using it..and they are not aware that you have to get up a midnight 60 days in advance to book a ride.

A friend of mine just went and could not use it at all because he was not getting his tickets until he showed up in Orlando..I'm sure quite a few folks are in that situation..they are getting discounted tickets that they have to pick up or when they check into a hotel etc..
So basically by the time he got his tickets he was not able to FP+ anything good

The days of having a vacation and just going with the flow and deciding what park to go to when the bus shows up are gone.

There are far to few Kiosks and many are closed until later in the day. The lines at the kiosks are not being manged for the most part..it is a free for all You cant get rides at different parks in advance or at the kiosks. The kiosks need an option to show what is available by time..right now it is just alphabetical..to you have to click on each ride and see the time...I want to see what is available now.

The only kiosk I saw was at MK by the jungle cruise and the line was horrendous. It was way back up into adventure land.

I was all about how good FP+ was last year but this year it just made things worse.

I think if they slowed you to book one ride in advance and the rest like they did on the day like the old FP system it might be better. But limit the pre book able slots. Leave the rest as available on the day ones. That way it might stop the huge bottle necks we saw at the rides even in the FP lines.

The only kiosk I saw was at MK by the jungle cruise and the line was horrendous. It was way back up into adventure land.
There was one by mickeys philmagic thing - total chaos ... no line at all
Also one by the pass through to adventure land where they have the restrooms..that had cast members enforcing a line and was not usually too bad..although there were a few times where the line was out to the road.

I was all about how good FP+ was last year but this year it just made things worse.

I think if they slowed you to book one ride in advance and the rest like they did on the day like the old FP system it might be better. But limit the pre book able slots. Leave the rest as available on the day ones. That way it might stop the huge bottle necks we saw at the rides even in the FP lines.

yeah it does need some adjustment.
Throttle the FP+ for example..although that may be what they did recently with all those 7DMT FP+s at the last minute

As for the bottlenecks that was mostly because people did not know what time their FP+ were or because they could not get the bands to read or were not doing two at a time.

I saw this a lot at Space mountain for some reason..but once you got past that it was always pretty quick

Ok maybe I am lucky, maybe it was the days we went, by from 10/19 to 10/28 we could change fast passes morning of and get any ride but TSM and 7DMT. So you could do that and then put your phone away. We ate at pecos bills at 1pm and got in line, ordered found a table ate and left in about 30 minutes. When we wanted our fourth FP we found the kiosks and the lines were short and CMs were helpful. And fast passes are an hour inbetween, if you know your 3 and are semi able bodied there should be no issue getting to each one.

Again maybe I was lucky maybe I keep a more open mind, but I was tied to my phone because I wanted to be, not because I had to.

Reflecting back and I think we are done with Disney for a long while. I hate FP+, ADR's and planning within an inch of my life. I'm on vacation damn it!

It was weird, we had fun but not as much as we always have in the past. We both felt that Disney is way more work than it ever has been in the past and it seems to have sucked all the fun out of it. I am not as regimented at work as I am on a Disney vacation these days. I, as with others pay good money to escape from everyday life. I'm tied to my phone 7 days a week, I used to love going there, throwing it in the safe and going on my day. Not now, you need that sucker to get by now at the parks. The rushing to and fro for either FP+ or dining ressies made days feel like a blur. I even saw people on their phones in the middle of a ride, Haunted, Pirates and I poop you not Space, four people in front of me in my car. Teenage girl with her head buried in her phone, privately hoping she'd lose it. Who the hell do you need to text/ e-mail or Facebook in the middle of a ride? Rides that I have never seen crazy standby lines now have them, Living with the Land had a 20 minute standby, REALLY?

Put me down as a grumpy old timer waxing nostalgic about the good old days of waking up in the morning, late, checking the crowd history at the parks for that day of the week and just winging it. We had a ball, explored, discovered stuff, now it's rush here, rush there check times and rush some more. Our three days at Universal had that feel I remember at Disney back when we started going in 2001. I'm sad to say Universal was the highlight of our trip. As for Disney, we didn't feel excitement to go back like we always have in the past. Normally we are trying to figure out how to save for the next one, instead it was, 'we could have used that money to reno the kitchen, yard, etc...' Glad we didn't buy DVC a couple of trips ago.

We absolutely love the convenience of Magicbands for the room, dinning and extra charges. Glad some of you folks love FP+ but not these two, just adds an extra level of planning we don't need.

I've been going since 88 and it has always felt like a lot to plan. Increasingly so, but I think it will get easier. ADR's used to be a big deal to me but now its pretty easy. I'm sure FP+ will be like that next time. Before you booked ADR's online, it was the phone, and before that it was at your TA. I think my main concern has been how much is changing right now. Closings/Openings/Closings again (I'm looking at you lumberjacks.) Disney used to stay the same for years at a time. Doesn't feel that way anymore. Attractions, Entertainment, policies, times, schedules, rules... seems like it is all changing on the fly. Now THAT I would like to see calm down.

I've put a LOT more time into this trip then any others. Some of that because of ME and some because Disney is in a state of FLUX.

I get where you are coming from, I enjoy the planning, it helps me anticipate my trip. But, I think more people do not like planning. Especially on vacation. Seems like work to them and not relaxing. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Disney is catering to the Type A's of the world. Not sure that is going to work long term...

I hear you! Who wants to work that hard just to plan what used to be called a relaxing vacation? I can only afford to go about once every five years (with careful saving). So I think Universal will get my vacation money next time.

I think fp+ works well for planning people. People who like to plan every single detail months in advance. For those of us who like to wake up when we wake up, eat when we are hungry, and go where the day takes us......well not so much for us. Disney does not work that way anymore.

It's also the crowds that hinder the experience. There is no slow time anymore and you pay so much money to go into the park and you are riding less rides, waiting in longer and longer lines. One person put it on another thread that it felt like "hurry up and wait" I felt like we were going from appointment to appointment.

More work hits it on the head for me. I am going in 5 days so we will see. I have worked very hard to make it seem like less work.

There are also kiosks at MK by Stitch and also by Diamond Horseshoe. There was a short line at Stitch when I was there last month.

I take the opposite view. I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to run around picking up return tickets based on the return time the machines is offering at the time I arrive at that ride. The return could be for hours later. I love knowing I have my top 3 before I even enter the park.

There are also kiosks at MK by Stitch and also by Diamond Horseshoe. There was a short line at Stitch when I was there last month.

I take the opposite view. I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to run around picking up return tickets based on the return time the machines is offering at the time I arrive at that ride. The return could be for hours later. I love knowing I have my top 3 before I even enter the park.

But people often don't have their top 3 ... they have whatever they feel they need to get, to make the day more reasonable, or whatever 3 they were ABLE to get, at whatever time.

Ok maybe I am lucky, maybe it was the days we went, by from 10/19 to 10/28 we could change fast passes morning of and get any ride but TSM and 7DMT. So you could do that and then put your phone away. We ate at pecos bills at 1pm and got in line, ordered found a table ate and left in about 30 minutes. When we wanted our fourth FP we found the kiosks and the lines were short and CMs were helpful. And fast passes are an hour inbetween, if you know your 3 and are semi able bodied there should be no issue getting to each one.

Again maybe I was lucky maybe I keep a more open mind, but I was tied to my phone because I wanted to be, not because I had to.

I've had the same experiences as you and we even went in August. I find it much more relaxing with WAY less running around and we get just as much done as we used too. I also like knowing that we can ride TSMM without being at rope drop. :thumbsup2

Yes, but in the past, the only fps we ever got or needed was ToT and RnR. We could have used them on Soarin or TT, but we never got there early enough, however the SB lines, for the better part, were reasonable. If they were long, we came back later or when Illuminations was going on, etc. It may be easier for some to know what they're doing every hour, but for me, this is work. ADRS at 6 am 180+10, FP+ midnight, 60 days out, and only able to get what we wanted with certain strategies, 27 day BOG fp, looking daily for additional fps or adding to my ADRs when my 2 SILs decided to join us, calling daily. I NEVER did this before. Or felt I had to. I said on another thread I'm going next year, stay in my offsite timeshare, and get no ADRs or fps and see how I fare. I'll conduct my own Disney test, lol.

I completely agree with OP. I've got a lot of stress in my life and try not to invite any more. FP+ works poorly with my vacation plans. We have been staying at WDW for our complete vacation and usually stay for about 22 days and just want to go with the flow. If it's raining or we need a slow day, or just want to change our plans, FP+ doesn't work well. So, this trip, instead of staying 3+ weeks in WDW, like we usually do, we are staying our first week at U.S and shopping or doing other things in the area, followed by 2 weeks at Pop. We are getting an AP and next year we will use our AP before it expires, and if we enjoy U.S. we will finish our trip there. WDW is losing some money with us. I realize it is small potatoes to them, but WDW is no longer my happy place. In essesence, I'm voting against FP+ with my $$.

I love to plan :surfweb:
When I get there I know we can do the things we want and I can relax.
I hate to get to the last half of the week and realize we can’t get it all done because we slept in.
I can stay home and sleep for a lot less money.
Nothing irritates me more than to miss something because we didn't plan for it.
I plan no matter where we go on vacation. Heck, I did that when we went to Aulani and there are no park rides there!

The lines may be long but guess what…..they always have been.

I have several friends who went 5+- years ago and swear they will never go again because it was too crowded.
Maybe they picked the wrong time of year :confused3
Maybe Disney was running a ‘free-dining’ special :confused3
Maybe they didn't do any research to see what park to visit on what day :confused3
But it wasn't because of FP+ because it wasn't around!

Whatever Disney is doing, they are filling the parks. It is a business and that IS their goal.

We use to plan a lot during our trips, ADR, rides etc. Now all we do is plan the park we will visit for which days and FP+. We now may only do 1 TS meal during our stay and a lot of times none:) We have been enjoying ourselves SO MUCH better since we stopped the park planning and are no longer focused on going from point A to point B. I like FP+ but HATE the tiering:( and like I mentioned, rarely do ADRs, we really think they just take to long. We make sure we get the key rides in, but after that if we miss something, it is not a big deal. We have been able to go to WDW and fully enjoy the parks and .... wait for it......... are able to relax also.

I totally agree with the OP. It was almost like a full time job planning our recent WDW vacation. It was stressful and I HATE planning where I will be at a certain time months in advance. It is a VACATION for heaven's sake!!!!! Our recent vacation was more planned than a normal day. Normally as soon as we get home from WDW we are planning when we will go again. Not this time. We don't have plans to return any time soon, if ever again. This is coming from a family that used to go almost every year. I so miss the old Disney :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter