• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Great Airfare on Spirit

woody64

DIS Veteran
Just booked flights for 2/21/04 cruise on Spirit. Only $142.50 RT from Chicago non-stop to Orlando.:bounce: Others on our cruise found reduced fares from Detroit also so you may want to check your local fares.

How has Spirit been for others in the past? This will be our first trip with them and we are curious. Thanks!

woody

We booked Spirit for our April '04 cruise. We also booked O'Hare to Orlando. Can't beat the price. We have some friends who have already flown with Spirit and had good things to say about them.

When we took our 7 night cruise back in Sept, we flew Spirit from Chicago to Orlando and had no problems what so ever. I would definately fly with them again.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

We flew Spirit from Reagan National to Melbourne in July 2001 for only $79 one way! I totally agree:

no frills, inexpensive, and as my travel agent described, they just quietly go about doing their business

If it wasn't for 9-11 , after which spirit pulled their flight, I'd be flying down on them next week!

Jim

Thanks everyone for the info. I am comfortable with them but last year on the way home from cruise #1 we were in a MD-80(which is the aircraft Spirit uses) and hit some thunderstorms that bounced the ice out of DS(4)'s glass. My DW and DMIL want a larger aircraft but I like the price and I think the storms were a fluke.

xnascar2x:We live in Aurora, just west of Fox Valley Mall and my wife grew up in Naperville(where my IL's still live). Small world.

Jim:Nice fish! If you haven't been you need to go to Montana fly fishing for rainbows. I'm jealous as my oldest brother owns his own guiding business on the Missouri River and fishes almost every day 8 months a year.

Thanks again everyone.

woody

Woody,

Thanks.

Love to try Montana's Rivers. Sounds like your brother has an ideal job. I'd gladly give up the CPA biz for a job cutting bait on a fishing boat if it paid the same.

Plus, I'd much rather have an obituary that has me killed while fighting a shark aboard than a heart attack 20 years someone's 1040!

Hold onto your Ice!

jim

Jim:

Believe me, if you do it right the money is definately there. I'm a CPA also but in private industry. Didn't want to do the Spring crush of tax stuff.

Have a good cruise and tell the crew we'll see them in Feb.

woody

Woody64,
It sure is a small world! My mom lives right by the Fox Valley Mall (Westfield shoppingtown) and I work at the mall~ I am doing seasonal stock work for Disney.. gosh.. if only I could cruise right now and get a discount LOL. My DH works for Post on Ogden. We've cruised twice... the first over last new years and we didn't get to go to Castaway Cay because of terribly high winds, our last in August got to finally get there and it was wonderful. I don't know when we're going to be able to go again but I hope to go again asap.

Nancy

I just did my daily check of airfares on the internet and the fares for Spirit Airlines went back up again (at least between Detroit and Orlando). Yesterday, the fare was $160.50. Today the fare is $265.50 for the same flight. Does anyone know how the airlines decide when to lower their prices and by how much? It seems crazy to me!

Gayl

I too am from the Chicagoland area..I live in Palatine, just about 30 miles NW of the city. I flew Spirit last February from Chicago to Ft Lauderdale for my first cruise. We had no problems, even snuck some champagne on the flight to celebrate. My SIL had asked them if it was ok and they said yes, however the flight attendant told us to drink up and fast and get rid of the bottle. It was a great flight.
Having read these boards though I was warned about them changing my flight without notifying me. I called to ask if it was still what I had booked and no they had changed both the flight down and back without my knowledge. I was able to get them to change them to different flights to suit my plans better and make sure we were all on the same flight as I had to make 2 ressies due to the size of my family.They had placed me on a 10:30 am flight home, eliminating one day from our vacation and I was not happy with that. Now we are coming home at 6:30 pm. They tried to tell me they had no valid email address for me and that puzzles me since I made the reservations online and they sent me a confirmation via email:confused: I plan on checking with them within 48 hours of my flight and hope they don't change it again. With 6 kids it is hard to make plans and have them keep getting changed without your knowledge.
I was also told that airlines change their prices 4 times a day!!!!! My advise would be to keep checking. I scored a spring break fare of $152.00 each round trip !!! With fees it came to $181.00 when other airlines were over $300 for the same trip!!! Good luck! Melissa

Spirit changed our flight was well. However they did it about 2 months prior to leaving and called us and sent me an email stating that there was a change to the flight schedule.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

On 12/5, I booked round trip airfare Detroit to Orlando on Spirit for $185 per person. I was notified by Travelocity that fares had been reduced. I had been watching fares and most fares were $200+ for our next cruise on 9/18/04. My daughter flies frequently on Spirit and has had no problems.

i started a thread a month or so ago with the warning....our return flight was changed without notifiying us with the change. i happened to call to reconfirm( i am a vacation commando), and i am glad i did. i wouldnt have known until it was too late. we changed ours to 630 pm---thank god! we would have missed our flight after the cruise
hlfdzn---they told me the same thing about not having a valid email address...even though we recieved an email comfimation immediatly after booking as well as weekly specials :rolleyes: we really love spirit airlines, though. we have flown them many, many times to orlando for a number of reasons....we like the clean fleet of planes, the crew is always really nice(and patient with all of the kids:) )and the prices are great....we live 3 blocks from midway airport and would rather drive to ohare if we can get a good time and flight from spirit::MickeyMo

mariamard,

After reading your thread a while back about Spirit changing flight times without warning, I checked on our flights from Detroit to Orlando in February. Sure enough, our flight home was changed to be 30 minutes later than we had originally booked. I did not receive a notification of the change from Spirit, so thanks for the heads up! The good news is that the change in flight time actually helps us. Originally, our flight was supposed to leave at 11:15 am, so we would have really had to rush to get off the ship and to the airport by 9:15 am. Now, we have an extra half hour.

Gayl

im glad the change worked for you!!!! our flight they changed from originally 3pm-ish in the afternnon(i forgot the time:rolleyes: ) to 1030am....:eek: we would have never made it unless we were "beamed"over to MCO;) ........................

I still like Spirit, even though I was a bit puzzled with their answer about the non valid email. Thank you mariamard for giving me the original heads up. I don't fly much and didn't realize that airlines could do that. Now that I know, I will be checking more often. Our experience on Spirit was positive and the fact that they fly out of O'hare and straight thru with no stops makes it fantastic for me. We are about 30 mins from Ohare on a busy day. Thanks again for the original heads up.. Mariamard, we are practically neighbors!!!! Melissa

I booked airfare (4 adults) with Spirit a month or so ago, for $185 per/person round trip Detroit/Orlando. A few days later they sent me an e-mail letting me know they had changed the time for our flight down, from 7:45 to 7:25 a.m. Not a big change, so no big deal. I will check with them a couple days before we leave to make sure of the flight time. We have flown them before and had no problems. I'm just hoping our seats will all be together. I have tried choosing our seats on their web site but have had no luck. I'll try again soon, or just give them a call I guess. I would hate for us to be scattered throughout the plane, but for a 2-hour flight I guess it wouldn't be THAT much of a big deal, especially since we are all adults and no little ones involved.

Maria Mard::wave2:

My ILs live on Nordica just off Archer/Harlem. It's a small world! We live in Homer Glen. Tried to book the $79 air with Southwest Air but it sold out quickly before I got home from work. (no internet access at work) : (
We'll be cruising 4/10/04 on the Magic. Anyone else going then?

its a small world after all.....:wave: we are at archer and neenah-- i walk my dog past your inlaws everyday! i think that there is a thread started for your cruise under cruise meets. did you try the spirit syber specials for your cruise week? they always have deals . sign up for the email alerts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter