• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grease remake

Mizzoufan

DIS Veteran
I will pass. I can't image this working in today times.

Four words you didn’t expect to read today: “Vanessa Hudgens as Rizzo.”
Fox has found some intriguing stars for its live Grease primetime musical. Julianne Hough (Dancing with the Stars, Rock of Ages) will star as summer lover Sandy Olsson and Hudgens (High School Musical, Spring Breakers) has been cast as her scene-stealing bad-girl friend Rizzo. Still not cast: The show’s male lead Danny Zuko.
Fox promises to “re-imagine the hit crossover musical for an entirely new generation.”
“Grease is one of the movies that made me want to be an entertainer, and I have literally been waiting my whole life to play Sandy,” Hough said. “My siblings and I watched it and played it out over and over when we were kids. This is my dream role and performing it live on television will be one of the most thrilling opportunities I’ve had in my career so far.”

Added Hudgens: “Being Rizzo is something I’ve never imagined, and I love that because it will be a new challenge. She is such an iconic character that continues to transcend generations. I cannot wait to bring her to life on live television. I’m going to be a Pink Lady!”
The event will mark Fox’s entry into the primetime event musical game following on NBC’s hugely successful The Sound of Music Live in 2013 and last December’s rather disappointing Peter Pan. Since 1978’s Grease is a more contemporary title than either of NBC’s shows, plus has a high-school setting and popular songbook, Fox is well positioned to draw a big audience. Casting Grease has been tricky, however, with several big names having been approached over the last several months.
WTW-DWTS.jpg

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/grease-vanessa-hudgens-julianne-hough/

I really dis like when they do these remakes.

Whats wrong they run out of ideas, cant come up with something new??

It doesn't bother me since it is a TV live production not a movie. The Broadway production of Grease has been around longer than the movie. I would be more bothered if they tried to remake the movie.

I might watch. If it sucks, I can just turn it off.

Hey another remake trying to re-imagine something for today's generation. How about writers and producers come up with original story lines for today's generation instead of climbing on the backs of other's who successfully did that.

This isn't so much a remake as a live TV special ala Peter Pan. That said, not sure about the casting. While Hudgens has done stage work before, Hough's background stretches only to the lackluster Rock of Ages movie.

This isn't so much a remake as a live TV special ala Peter Pan. That said, not sure about the casting. While Hudgens has done stage work before, Hough's background stretches only to the lackluster Rock of Ages movie.

She also did the remake of Footloose.

I think her acting skills are okay. Not great. But not Academy Award winning and certainly not Tony Award winning.

I don't see her as Sandy.

And Sandy doesn't really get to dance all that much compared to other characters. So that is a talent that Juliann can really capitalize on all that much until maybe You're the One That I Want. The dance off has her being negeoxfed as Danny dances with Cha Cha.

But I haven't ever seen the stage show, so I can only go by the movie.

Vanessa seems she may be a caricature of Rizzo.

Meh!

Maybe if they have Zac Effron as Danny Zuko--then she can let her jealousy fly.:lmao:

Yes. Haven't you noticed that the only movies these days seem to be remakes and sequels??

I don't like when they cast things in non age-appropriate ways. Julianne Hough is almost 27 years old, and going to be playing a high school student. It seems ridiculous to me.

Pretty sure adults always fill the roles.

Olivia Newton-John was about 30 when she played Sandy.

The woman who played Jan had to have her grey hair died black. (Here went grey early, but she was still well into adulthood at about the age of 31.)

I saw it on Broadway 40 years ago this summer (1975). Yikes, I feel old!

The 50's for today's generation is like ancient history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter