Gratuity on the dinning plan

d1sneyf4n

DIS Veteran
We have not been to DW in awhile and I am not sure if when the last time we went the gratuity was included in the dinning plan. I am just trying to figure out about how much we need for gratuity and mousekeeping. We are a family of 5. We are only eating at character buffets. Is there a way to figure out what the gratuity should be about? TIA

You do have to add tips, now. For my family of 5, we budget about $25/meal. Breakfast is a bit less, $18-$20. They will show you the suggested tip amounts at the bottom of your receipt.

You do have to add tips, now. For my family of 5, we budgeted about $25/meal whiich was pretty accurate. Breakfast was a bit less $18-$20. They will show you the suggested tip amounts at the bottom of your receipt.

Thank you much. I appreciate it!

you can look at the menus here or at allears.net most menus have an accurate price. They will suggest either 18% or 20% if you are 5 or less if not they add it to the price period.
Example Chef Mickey Dinner is 38.95 most of the time for an adult and 18.95 for a child.
2 adults and 3 children is 134.75 18% is 24.25 20% is 26.95.
most buffets for dinner are in this range some a few $ less some can be more if they include something else like a picture...

I think IIRC, the receipt shows your total and the amount if you want to tip 18% and the amount if you want to tip 20%. What I did in 2012, which is the last time we were on the Dining Plan, was tip 20% across all meals if the service was better than average. We had mostly buffets or family style meals that trip. The server at Chef Mickey’s got 18%. And the lady at Garden Grill got 25% because she was super. I charged the tip to my room on that trip so I usually took the amount and rounded it up to the next dollar to make my personal spending tracking easier.

This year we had a server at Crystal Palace that got a pretty big tip out of me. Our bill was around $60 and I left him $20. I think the next time we eat there I will ask for Victor. He was awesome. Now I don’t want a whole lot from servers. Check on us to make sure we are okay and talk nicely. Don’t even have to smile as long as you’re efficient and don’t ignore us. I had a lady at Hollywood and Vine who didn’t crack a smile the entire time, but she made sure we had everything we needed and checked to make sure none of the characters skipped us. But Victor added something to the entire experience.

Note: if you eat at Cinderella’s Royal Table, they add 18% onto your bill no matter your party size. You can add to it if you want, and I imagine you can have it removed if you feel you need to. I didn't do either. Our server was fine.

Yes, the bills do have "suggested tip amount" and lists both 18% and 20%. Feel free to go up or down from there.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it. Can you leave cash or do you have to charge it to your room?

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it. Can you leave cash or do you have to charge it to your room?

You can leave cash or charge it. Whatever your preference. I think it's easier to charge to the room.

You can leave cash or charge it. Whatever your preference. I think it's easier to charge to the room.

How do you charge a meal/tip to your room from the table? Would they be able to scan my MagicBand at the table, or would I have to carry my KttW and give that to them?

How do you charge a meal/tip to your room from the table? Would they be able to scan my MagicBand at the table, or would I have to carry my KttW and give that to them?

They bring you a receipt and you'll add the tip to it. Then they'll go back and make a new receipt and have you resign it. They'll scan you magicband at the table.

If we have 3 different groups with us (my family, my parents, and my in laws) will they bring us 3 bills without having to ask or do I need to mention it every time? We booked separate packages and we're all on the dining plan.

If we have 3 different groups with us (my family, my parents, and my in laws) will they bring us 3 bills without having to ask or do I need to mention it every time? We booked separate packages and we're all on the dining plan.

You will need to tell them who is on which check. There is no other way they could know.

Sort of hijacking here, but as far as the "suggested tip" on the receipt goes, has anyone else had the waiter come back and request the additional amount if you didn't pay the full tip? With our group last time (several families, seperate bills), my grandparents paid their bill but didn't tip the full "suggested amount" on the receipt because we saw our waiter maybe twice and it was a buffet style meal. That waiter came back and said that they were required to pay the remaining amount. (I know that there is the option of speaking with a manager in the case of poor service, but this was just not much service, period) Just curious if that is common?

Sort of hijacking here, but as far as the "suggested tip" on the receipt goes, has anyone else had the waiter come back and request the additional amount if you didn't pay the full tip? With our group last time (several families, seperate bills), my grandparents paid their bill but didn't tip the full "suggested amount" on the receipt because we saw our waiter maybe twice and it was a buffet style meal. That waiter came back and said that they were required to pay the remaining amount. (I know that there is the option of speaking with a manager in the case of poor service, but this was just not much service, period) Just curious if that is common?

If the reservation was for 6 people or more than the required amount is 18% for the tip. The only way to reduce that is speak to the manager. How many were in your group? Even if you were ten and split the check three ways you are still a party of six or more and the required 18% applies.

If the reservation was for 6 people or more than the required amount is 18% for the tip. The only way to reduce that is speak to the manager. How many were in your group? Even if you were ten and split the check three ways you are still a party of six or more and the required 18% applies.

This was just for the 2 of them. They had their own check. We all had seperate reservations and tables, actually, some of us weren't even sitting near each other. It was a last minute "hey lets try to reserve the same place around the same time so we can start the day together" thing, so we didn't really eat "together".

(I know Disney puts groups "together" if they are a group even if they aren't all at the same table, but it would be silly to be considered a group just simply for being family and eating in the same restaurant)

Anyway, not an issue now, as it's long done and overwith, but I know for my grandma it left a bad taste in her mouth and really bothered her. But she's also just that...grandma. ;) LOL But this thread renewed my curiosity!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter