• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gratuity Letter in Stateroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "we will automatically add the tip" letter started this summer in the Med where there were a lot of non-US cruisers and it is hypothesized that the CMs weren't seeing the tips they were used to. The letter clearly says that you can increase or decrease your tips as you desire, but if you do nothing the "suggested" will be charged.

It doesn't matter to me...I'm going to tip at least the "suggested" unless there is a real problem which is not handled when I report it...so charging the standard doesn't affect me one way or the other. One less thing I need to do at GS.

I agree! The only difference is that now instead of having to fill out the form to say you want to tip the standard amount, now they do it for you and if you want to adjust it you are free to. Personally, I don't see the big problem. It's no different than if you went to a restaurant. In fact, on our 1st cruise we felt weird getting up from the dinner table and leaving nothing on the table. When cruising, you save it all up for the last night.
This way simply saves me the trouble of filling out the form and taking it to GS. If we decided to give extra, we'll do so with cash, just like before.
I wish they had this in effect last fall when we cruised with a lot of 1st timers who waited until the last minute to call me and explain repeatedly how tipping works and who should get what.

You can add or take away from it at your will ..... they are not forcing you to pay this amount.

It makes it so much easier as you don't have to go to GS to pay!!

Again, why would you 'punish' the staff by not paying your usual generous amount just because of a policy made by people way above them? Am I the only one that see's this as a benefit as there's no queueing at GS?!:confused3:)
I guess it's ok as long as you're free to increase OR decrease it. I was thinking it was along the lines of when you go to a restaurant and the automatically add an 18% tip to parties of 8 or more or the automatic gratuity added to drink orders on DCL where you have no option to decrease it.

I still think it may hurt them as people will be less inclined to wait in line to add a few dollars to a tip than they would to wait in line in order to charge the entire gratuity. Could be offset by the people who do the opposite though.

Would be nice if they made this an option at time of either booking or boarding.

Hi, I am the OP's spouse. Just off the Magic yesterday.

Recently on the Dream I asked our server if the posts I read about people on the MV STEALING the wonderful butter knives in AP were true, and she said yes, and that they were still being stolen. I hope those people are charged a fortune, and they are flagged to receive these letters in their cabins in the future. What they did is insulting; DCL's response is tragically understandable.

On the last night, we got a little card in our stateroom telling us that "if we remove any items from the stateroom, we will be charged for them." We spoke at great length with Alec from the US in Merchandise - he said people are definitely getting charged - people have been stealing blankets from the Dream ($200) and the new ones on the Magic ($175). Your credit card is on file and DCL will use it if you steal (as they should!).

I have no problem with the auto gratuity, it makes it easier for me not to go to guest services. My only question is will they deliver the little coupons and envelopes to our room so that we can add what we choose and give these to our services personnel directly. Anybody have an idea on that yet?

They delivered the tickets in our Fish Extender on the 4th night of our 7 night cruise. Our stateroom host delivered the envelopes separately on the 5th day.

Actually, you don't have to go to Guest Services. You can get the standard tip coupon in your cabin and place that in your thank-you note (rather than using the DCL envelopes. If you choose to add additional cash to your envelope, you can do so. Obviously, if you would rather carry the cash than charge the entire tip amount, that would require a brief trip to GS.

This is what we did - coupons into the tip envelopes into Thank You cards :thumbsup2

We always tip the "suggested" amount, with extra for those who we think deserve it. If I want to give more, instead of going to guest services, can't I just put some extra in the envelope?

Yep!

NO tip letter on the 10/2 Dream...normal procedure. YES, tip letter on today's Magic sailing at check in at the terminal.

Actually, it was in our stateroom when we got in at 1:30pm, not at the terminal.

I just got off the Magic today. On Thursday morning, I went to GS to increase the tips for the 4 tipped positions. This was done by the CM and she issued new tip tickets for me to distribute. Very easy process. There was the usual long line at GS on Friday, especially after we left Castaway Cay.

Jan

Hi Jan -

This is what we did (although only bumped up the server and asst. server amounts). I send DH down to GS on our Sea day to increase them, as well apply some gift cards to our account, and they just printed up the 2 new replacement tickets - easy peasy. I totally agree - very easy and no line because we didn't wait until Friday ;) There was a very long line on Friday (the last night), but that line is like that on every cruise we've been on!

I still think it may hurt them as people will be less inclined to wait in line to add a few dollars to a tip than they would to wait in line in order to charge the entire gratuity.

But as has been stated before, you can just add CASH to your envelopes to increase the gratuity.

But as has been stated before, you can just add CASH to your envelopes to increase the gratuity.

Sure. If you carry cash.....

I still think it may hurt them as people will be less inclined to wait in line to add a few dollars to a tip than they would to wait in line in order to charge the entire gratuity.

You get the tickets early enough in your cruise to visit GS when there isn't a line where you have to wait and do your adjustments, but late enough that you have had your servers/stateroom attendant long enough and pretty much already know whether or not you want to increase it based on their performance.

On the last night, we got a little card in our stateroom telling us that "if we remove any items from the stateroom, we will be charged for them." We spoke at great length with Alec from the US in Merchandise - he said people are definitely getting charged - people have been stealing blankets from the Dream ($200) and the new ones on the Magic ($175). Your credit card is on file and DCL will use it if you steal (as they should!).

While I fully agree that DCL should charge for missing items (presumed stolen), here's the problem. They started with $5 for laundry bags....and people who claim that they didn't take the laundry bag started being charged for it. I got into my cabin once and there was no laundry bag--I caught my host and asked for one. He looked at me strangely, but I explained that it wasn't there and I didn't want to get charged at the end of the cruise; it was better to sort out the issue on day 1. I honestly preferred when they left the plastic laundry bags without the charge issue.

I know that the room hosts do their best, but if I don't know what items I need to be sure that I have (and how many in cases of towels and blankets!), I can't be sure that the correct items are in the room at the start of my cruise.

Just reading this letter. Is this going to be customary for all the Disney ships from here on out? I mean will they be doing this for each ship now? I just made a reservation for a cruise on the Dream last week and there was no option to prepay any gratuities. Is this something new they will be adding? Honestly I would love to have that option and have the amount be added to the total package price of my cruise up front so I do not have to worry about tipping on board. Then if I get exceptional service, I can always tip above the predetermined amount. Any thoughts? I know Carnival does this because I looked into them before deciding to go with Disney.

Ok.. Im so confused...Can someone who understands this tipping thing tell me how much I can expect to be charged....We are basically a family of 5 but 3 in one room and 2 in another....going on a 7 day cruise on the Magic. Im just looking for a total amount for the whole cruise. Thanks to anyone who is better at math than me!

Ok.. Im so confused...Can someone who understands this tipping thing tell me how much I can expect to be charged....We are basically a family of 5 but 3 in one room and 2 in another....going on a 7 day cruise on the Magic. Im just looking for a total amount for the whole cruise. Thanks to anyone who is better at math than me!

It's easy. The suggested tip on a 7 night cruise is $84 per guest (7 nights X $12). Since there are 5 of you, that is $84 X 5 or $420.

I always just remember: $12 per person per day for budgeting. I can't recall which amount goes to which position.

It's easy. The suggested tip on a 7 night cruise is $84 per guest (7 nights X $12). Since there are 5 of you, that is $84 X 5 or $420.

Yep. Doesn't matter if you're in one room or two, the gratuities remain the same. Never really thought that was quite fair since we've cruised in both a single stateroom and in connecting staterooms the the stateroom host gets the same gratuity whether he/she is cleaning one room or two.

Actually, it was in our stateroom when we got in at 1:30pm, not at the terminal.

The people who boarded TODAY got the letter in the terminal at check in.

Edited:

See post below...I mean the people who got on the Magic on SATURDAY.

Is this something new they will be adding? Honestly I would love to have that option and have the amount be added to the total package price of my cruise up front so I do not have to worry about tipping on board. Then if I get exceptional service, I can always tip above the predetermined amount.

You can just call DCL, or have your TA call them, and have the amount for your total tips added to your onboard account before the cruise. It's really easy to do. :)

So that answers the question that the Dream is doing that, too. Must be going to be a fleet-wide standard.

No SORRY.....I misspoke. just now. The people who got on the MAGIC YESTERDAY (I was looking at yesterday's message from my friend this morning :headache:)

Edited: just posted on the thread of today's returning Wonder cruise to ask them.

I don't find the letter rude, I find the practice of charging me for the tips rude. A tip/gratuity is a bonus based on service. It's an extra, NOT A MANDATORY. It doesn't matter what the person gets paid. If they are going to automatically charge you it's a fee. It's also a hassle to go down and adjust it. Besides, I'm listed as cash. Can I go down to GS when I board and make sure they remove these from my account so I can still use my cash?

Maybe Disney should just change what it is called then. Don't call it a gratuity. I don't have a problem one way or the other. We have never paid the minimum, nor have we paid less. We always pay more.

Don't worry, each envelope (4 of them) has the persons job title on it.:) It will then have room for you to put your name and room number on it.
Thank you! I was getting a little worried!

Maybe Disney should just change what it is called then. Don't call it a gratuity. I don't have a problem one way or the other. We have never paid the minimum, nor have we paid less. We always pay more.

I would prefer they just added the amount to your stateroom cost and didn't suggest tips. Everyone would get their money, nobody would get stiffed and many people would still treat it as any other meal or trip where they don't suggest tips to you and tip if they wanted to. But even if they didn't they would still get the money Disney suggests. Then nobody would question it, worry about it or start endless conversations about it. :)

Based on past experience, the stateroom hosts and servers have always gone above and beyond and earned their gratuities...and then some. Only pain is going to be waiting in line to remove the gratuity for the head server when he/she doesn't show up until the last evening expecting a gratuity. Heck, with this new procedure, I bet many will NEVER even see their head servers. :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter