• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

GRANNY NEEDS HELP

kittymamma

Mouseketeer
I am a physically active mid 70's granny who also does pretty well getting around on the Internet but am having some difficulty with a few things here on the DIS site. Hope y'all can help.

1 - A prolific writer of TR's was recently on the EBPC with before and after stays at WDW and DL. I have been looking forward to her to report but have not seen anything yet....I have searched under Cruises Reports , Trip Reports and DVC Trips ( she and her brother are DVC owners ) but have yet to find anything. ...IS there a way to determine if there is such a report being written and where it might be located ???

2 - I appreciated and enjoy all the reports that folks write....some more elaborate than others but always welcomed. So much time and energy must go into them. My issue is that while reading these lengthy reports , there are some who make comments on practically every line written by the OP. They fill line after line with one or two word expressions or emoji's....for instance , about a meal that has been pictured or described....they will say "yum" and then go on to the next sentence to make a comment. One time a particular poster made more than 50 responses to just one post....not the entire TR (not unusual for that person ) and it can takes up time and space. My question...is there a way to block anything written by a particular person ? I think it's great that some folks have a close relation ship with an OP but would think they could PM each other after 5-6 responses.

3 - and lastly...what am I doing wrong trying to PM somebody ? I went to "start a conversation" after clicking on the individual name. Lawd only knows where the message went....obviously not where I intended for it to end up. This was when I was attempting to PM the person I was talking about in #1...thought perhaps I could get a direct response from her but no luck.

Whew....got kinda wordy didn't I ? Sure would appreciate any help y'all can offer.

Last edited:
1 - A prolific writer of TR's was recently on the EBPC with before and after stays at WDW and DL. I have been looking forward to her to report but have not seen anything yet....I have searched under Cruises Reports , Trip Reports and DVC Trips ( she and her brother are DVC owners ) but have yet to find anything. ...IS there a way to determine if there is such a report being written and where it might be located ???

I think I know whom you are talking about and I have not seen a TR being started just yet. Sometimes people need some time to reassemble after a trip, so it might take some time. I think you can expect a link popping up on the most recent TR by the trip report author. Most TR authors do that to "advertise" their new ones. But from a technological point of view you can do two things:

On the top of the page at the right hand side is a search field. If you go there with your mouse and click in it, it opens a menu. There is a filed "Posted by Member" where you can put in the username. Also make sure to uncheck the box "Search this forum only" and then hit search. This will bring you all the posts by this user.

The other method is if you see a post by this member, you can always click on the number of Messages they have (bottom line under their username it says Messages: xxx). If you click on the number it will show the most recent posts by this person.

2 - I appreciated and enjoy all the reports that folks write....some more elaborate than others but always welcomed. So much time and energy must go into them. My issue is that while reading these lengthy reports , there are some who make comments on practically every line written by the OP. They fill line after line with one or two word expressions or emoji's....for instance , about a meal that has been pictured or described....they will say "yum" and then go on to the next sentence to make a comment. One time a particular poster made more than 50 responses to just one post....not the entire TR (not unusual for that person ) and it can takes up time and space. My question...is there a way to block anything written by a particular person ? I think it's great that some folks have a close relation ship with an OP but would think they could PM each other after 5-6 responses.

Yes, once again, go to a post by the person whom you do not want to read and click on their user name. This will open a window with some info about them. There is a line with white words and the one furthest to the right reads "Ignore". If you click on this, you will no longer see what this person posts. Of course you cannot do this with the trip report author, because you then cannot read their real posts.

I understand what you are saying, but just to give you maybe a little bit more understanding about this habit of comments from the perspective of someone who writes trip reports herself: As you said there is a lot of time and energy that goes into them. Having people engaging with you while writing them is actually a great motivation for me. If there is no one to talk to about your trip report, it does feel like nobody is really interested. I can absolutely see both views on this. And maybe the ignore-function is something that will help you to enjoy those reports more. If I read a trip report with long replies in between, I just scroll through them and don't consider them that bothersome.

3 - and lastly...what am I doing wrong trying to PM somebody ? I went to "start a conversation" after clicking on the individual name. Lawd only knows where the message went....obviously not where I intended for it to end up. This was when I was attempting to PM the person I was talking about in #1...thought perhaps I could get a direct response from her but no luck.

Sounds like the correct method! Maybe the person just hasn't gotten around to replying yet.

Hope this helps!!

I understand what you are saying, but just to give you maybe a little bit more understanding about this habit of comments from the perspective of someone who writes trip reports herself: As you said there is a lot of time and energy that goes into them. Having people engaging with you while writing them is actually a great motivation for me. If there is no one to talk to about your trip report, it does feel like nobody is really interested. I can absolutely see both views on t

Absolutely.

For people annoyed by the chatter, write up a TR for yourself! See if you like that people just read and say nothing vs knowing that people are taking time to read everything and think about it all.

It's lonely when no one responds.

Also, even though you might be reading once it's all done, often people wrote in bits, and the people are responding as they wait for more.

If I read a trip report with long replies in between, I just scroll through them and don't consider them that bothersome.

Absolutely.

As far as the Conversation is concerned, if you go up to the right-hand corner of any page and click on your user name, a menu will pop up. Click on "Conversations". When you do that, a list of your conversations will come up. Each conversation will look just like a Thread. If you click on the conversation you want, you'll see your post, as well as any replies. If there's nothing there but your original post, then you just have not gotten a response yet.

I also highly recommend the "Ignore" function. I've seen reports where folks reply with ten tons of "white space" (empty lines in their posts) and that has a tendency to annoy me, so I'll put them on Ignore. Or someone I know is always argumentative. You never have to see posts from people you don't want to see, and that's a wonderful thing.

Sayhello

Thanks "Flossbolna" and "Say hello" for the instruction....much appreciated.

To clarify about not wanting to read the multiple responses from any one individual.....If I wrote a TR , I would certainly want and appreciate the responses from everyone. In fact, I enjoy most of them and often glean some additional information from them as well as from the OP. My issue is when there are as many as 50 responses from one individual in one post commenting on every line of a post written by the OP . But now, thanks to y'all , I now know how to remedy that.

I'm w/ the OP...copies of ALL the pics on a post, than a : ) Really, " : ) loved food pics " wouldn't get the same message across w/o making everyone else scroll endlessly through the posts? And I've seen the pics, don't need to see them 3x in a row. Love TRs, RIP Delswife.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter