• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grandparents/small children/car seat options

Micca

SAHG: Stay At Home Grandfather
We're planning a WDW trip in the Spring with our two DGDs who will be 4 and 5.5 years old at the time. We've been renting a car for our trips for decades, and would still like to do so for this trip. However, car seats are a concern--both the getting them on the plane, and more importantly getting them installed in a rental car properly. We may just have to suck it up and deal with it, but I thought I'd ask about options.

Is there such a thing as renting a car with a child seat (we'll need two) Can you order Uber with children's seats installed? Is there a place near property that perhaps rents car seats (independently from the car rental place) that would install them in the rental? We've considered not renting a car and using WDW transportation, but that carries with it concerns about long waits with very tired little girls.

As an aside, we plan to stay at BLT, and I'm sure MK will be Priority 1 for park time, so that's a nice stroller ride for them, no car needed.

If you want to rent a car, you should buy seats and learn how to install them yourselves - your local police will teach you.

I wouldn't trust my kids in a rental carseat or a car seat that was installed by someone else.

Personally, I would just rely on Disney transportation.

Yeah, no way, no how on a rental car seat. I wouldn't trust it.
The 5 yo can use a Booster at Disney. You may consider the Bubble Bum portable car seat.
That leaves 1 car seat for the younger.
You can request Uber cars with 1 car seat so that opens the Uber option for you. They won't have any cars with 2 seats.
Personally, we are huge Disney transportation fans (unless we are going resort to resort)
DGD makes the best friends on the buses. She can sleep if she's that tired.
We hate driving on property too. It's just a PITA and one of the top 5 reasons we travel to Disney is letting someone else handle transportation.

Also note that with Uber and a car seat you could wait for a very long time because not every driver has then and Uber does not hold any responsibilty if there is an accident and the car seat was improperly installed or replaced after a previous accident.

If you need it for the plane I would go ahead and purchase a pair and have your local fire department or police department assist in showing you how to properly install them. Most offer this service for free.

Yeah, no way, no how on a rental car seat. I wouldn't trust it.
The 5 yo can use a Booster at Disney. You may consider the Bubble Bum portable car seat.
That leaves 1 car seat for the younger.
Actually, the 4yo can also legally ride on a booster in FL. So 2 Bubble Bums would do, if the OP thinks both kids are big enough and mature enough to use boosters.

http://www.bubblebum.co/us/faq/
Never transition your child to a booster seat until at least the age of four AND weight of 40lbs.

Have you had problems installing the current car seats in the past? Car seats these days are much--much--easier to install correctly than they used to be, but car seats can be so heavy and unwieldy, I completely understand not wanting the hassle. That said, if you're concerned at all about using a car seat, you're going to want to bring your own. You have no idea what those rental car seats have been through, if they are expired, or how to install them correctly. In addition, I rear-face my 2yo, and will for as long as possible, so I would need to specify a convertible that can rear-face (for my own peace of mind on unfamiliar roads). Using the belts is preferred, but any rental car you rent will also have latch, which should be pretty easy to use correctly with a seat you are familiar with.

You might look into a frame with wheels that makes a car seat roll. It might be just the thing in this case.
You could also just take Disney transportation, but since you asked about car seats, it sounds like they are a priority for you.

Thanks for the helpful replies! At home we have a couple of car seats installed permanently in one of our cars such that we can always have a vehicle to transport the girls. I know it was a major hassle to get them installed correctly, and my DD and her DH (a police officer) struggled somewhat to install those seats in the rental when we took our June trip. They got it done, I have less confidence in our ability to get it done properly. Plus we lugged those seats on to the plane, off the luggage pickup, round-trip. I'd just rather not if there's an option.

Not familiar with bubble bums, that sounds like something worth looking into. Thanks folks!

Not familiar with bubble bums, that sounds like something worth looking into. Thanks folks!
You can find them at some WalMarts, or you can order them online at WalMart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Amazon, and others. WalMart will deliver them for pickup at your local store at no charge.

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful replies! At home we have a couple of car seats installed permanently in one of our cars such that we can always have a vehicle to transport the girls. I know it was a major hassle to get them installed correctly, and my DD and her DH (a police officer) struggled somewhat to install those seats in the rental when we took our June trip. They got it done, I have less confidence in our ability to get it done properly. Plus we lugged those seats on to the plane, off the luggage pickup, round-trip. I'd just rather not if there's an option.

They are not gong to replace a 5 point harness seat but for getting around on Disney property they are fine. We first used one when we went to DL and had to get a car to go from the airport to DLR. DGD is 8.5 now and while she's still in a high back booster at home we no longer bring our Bubble Bum to Disney since we just aren't in the car that much and she's well outside the age they require them in FL

I'd say if a Bubble Bum isn't an option for you then you probably want to skip car rental, unless you can bring regular boosters for each of them. They don't have any installation since they go in with only a seat belt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OLRJYYG/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

We bought a Britax Parkway booster for DD to use for travel. In terms of features and safety it is as close to a carseat as you can get.

It installs easily with Latch, keeping it secure whether it is in use or not.

It has a clip for the lapbelt portion of the seat belt that prevents submarining in a crash. It has wings that help keep spine/head straight in a crash. And it has impact absorbing features.

It weighs only 10 pounds and the back separates from the seat for easy packing in a suitcase that can be checked. We have always been able to check it for free on airlines and the suitcase offers some protection for the seat.

For us it was worth the investment since we travel by plane a couple times a year. YMMV.

Good luck.

As a note on rental car seats, I've rented through AVIS and Enterprise and included a forward-facing seat for my toddler both times. It's quite expensive since the charge is per day. If you're staying for more than 5 days, you can buy one at Wal-Mart for the same price. We never wanted to haul the car seat around the airport though, so we just sucked it up and paid for the rental. They're usually Graco brand, and in good condition although sometimes the cloth is a bit faded. With AVIS it was already in the car and with Enterprise they gave it to us and we installed it. It wasn't too bad with LATCH. The key is just getting it tight enough. DH usually has to kneel on the seat with all his weight to tighten down the straps. If you're not up to that then it might be tough to install.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter