Grandma wants to go out for Easter

7 adults, 3 kids for $150 with tip sounds like a bargain! Every Easter buffet around here is at least $40 a person plus drinks, tax and tip.

I also agree, how could you possibly feed 10 people for $60? Even if you do a grocery store ham, that alone is at least $30.

I could do a good ham, brioche rolls, deviled eggs, potatoes au gratin (Julia Childs' recipe = yum), green beans almondine, and a strawberry shortcake with iced tea and lemonade to drink for 10 people at around $60. You just make it from scratch. I might be able to do it cheaper if I didn't use my favorite flour and eggs (they cost more, but it's the little things, you know?). We do something like this once a week as it is.

Edited to clarify: I'm not talking about the "checkout line price," I'm talking what I actually pay for the food on the table, so the bag of almonds is relatively pricey, but not much lands in green beans almondine. So long as all the things you buy are still used, then I consider that a fair estimation. Honestly, nothing in the menu I proposed is outside my usual menu plans or grocery lists, so I might pay only the $30 for the ham on Easter because everything is already in my pantry.

if Grandma is inviting and paying, and wants to do this, then I think that everyone should let Grandma have what she wants. If you think that going out isn't going to give enough socializing time, then invite everyone to your house for coffee afterwards.

:thumbsup2

I vote go out.Sometimes its nice to just get out and not have to worry about all the cooking and cleaning.Plus its great to be able to choose what to eat.WE do a few holidays at our home and now i actually look foward to going out to eat on some holidays at first I thought it was crazy but after breaking the ice of going we never regreded it.

In my family whoever comes up with the idea, sets a date/time, and invites everyone gets to pick the venue. Sometimes we go out, sometimes we go to someone's house.

But if grandma already picked and invited -- in my family anyway -- this would be the Easter plans.

If this will make gramma happy, then do what she wants. A small price to pay to put a smile on her face. I try to remember that this could always be her last Easter, or yours or mine! No regrets. Seems folks focus on the small stuff and not the bigger picture. I only wish my gramma or mom were still here to take to Easter dinner!

I vote go out.Sometimes its nice to just get out and not have to worry about all the cooking and cleaning.Plus its great to be able to choose what to eat.WE do a few holidays at our home and now i actually look foward to going out to eat on some holidays at first I thought it was crazy but after breaking the ice of going we never regreded it.

I agree. My parents hosted various holidays at their home for years. Now that they are older, it's too much for them, so m sisters and I take turns hosting Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and my parents' birthday get togethers, plus whatever kids' birthday parties or graduations may occur. A few years ago my mom and dad decided to take everyone out for Easter. It is actually nice-everyone can relax, no one has to prepare, cook, clean up. We enjoy it! We go to the same local place, they give us a large table in the back corner.
Give it a try, you can always change it next year!

I think it would be rude to turn down an invitation from your grandmother. She has invited you and wants to host the dinner at a restuarant, why would you want to (basically) say, "no thank you grandma, I have a better idea" ?

Do you think she can't afford it? Are you worried about her taking money away from a bill in order to pay for everyone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter