• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Villa vs. 2BDR + Studio

malonefamily

Vlogging magical family adventures in Central FL
Got a group of 12 coming to WDW this Thanksgiving (we normally travel with half that many). The "extra" six are all new to Disney. Most people seemed to want to stay at SSR. I thought I'd book a Grand Villa as we had a few banked points, and between our two contracts own 375 points... but sheesh. It was a point hog!

We've instead booked a 2BDR and a Studio, hopefully they'll be able to put us in the same building, or at least the same part of SSR. Is this common? Are Grand Villas really only the realm of the truly point rich? (the 500+ club maybe?) I'm concerned it won't feel as much like a family gathering with us in two different rooms, but so many points... :(

Also, we just bought our plane tickets because we just found a good deal (if you were trying to fly a huge group from Seattle to MCO during Thanksgiving you'd grab any sub $300 round trip you could find too)! One minor problem, we don't actually have our rooms reserved for the full length of our trip. When we realized we could cut the flight cost in half by returning on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, we did it. But our rooms are only booked through Friday. Here's hoping they can fit us in when they start answering the phones on Tuesday! :rolleyes1

I just hate that you can't check availability online while you've got a good flight on hold like that. This isn't the first time I've bought a plane ticket and hoped there would be a room available to go with it. One of these days this is going to be a mistake.

I have stayed in Grand Villas, but never with all 12 people allowed. Meaning that I think you are better off with a 2BR and Studio just for sanity. The GV are great and you have 4 bathrooms, but it's still 12 people! To get the units close together, call and set your trip up as a Grand Gathering (if they still do this; I haven't done it since 2008). Hope you get your other nights - be on the phone early!

With that price difference, even if you have to stay offsite for a couple of days (don't forget for $99 you can use RCI and many resorts offer nightly stays), it would be worth it. Even if you have to use priceline., you will still be far better off.

GV are the best for one reason- the common space for everyone to hang out in. We like to do a big family trip about once every 3 years. Last two times we had over 20 people come! we put 10 in a BWV GV and then put everyone else in studios. Had drinks and dinner most nights in the GV, plenty of room for everyone and a great time had by all. You can put 12 in a GV, just use the laundry room with blow up beds vice having folks use the pull out- works great!:cool1:

We also have a 2BR & studio booked for later this year at AK-Kidani. I was given a "travel with number" by the cast member that is supposed to link the 2 units together & has priority in the unit assignments so that we are placed near each other.

Looks like we arrive a couple of weeks ahead of you - I'll try to remember to post if the "travel with number" worked.

depends on how much time you want to spend with the family, sometimes alone time is nice. :thumbsup2

Looks like there's not a single unit in all of SSR of any size on Thanksgiving Day itself (long story, but our original reservation apparently only went through then, I'd forgotten that). So, if you're staying at SSR over Thanksgiving, would you mind canceling your ressie for me? You don't wanna stay at that dump anyhow do you? :lmao:

NOW I'm booked 11/20 - 11/24 in a 2BDR, and then 11/25-11/29. We're homeless on Turkey Day itself I'm afraid. lol at me. I guess I'll book a cash room somewhere for that day, but it's a bummer to have to move on the holiday. Because SSR is so big, and this is all six months away, is there almost a 100% certainty that the night will open up? I hate to book a cash reservation for nothing. Things are even worse for the 4 family members in the studio, they're homeless on Turkey Day and the 25th both. But I never liked them much anyhow. :rotfl2:

Good luck neighbor!

Ha, thanks. Are you really in Mukilteo, WA? I can see you from my front porch (I live right above Naval Station Everett). I wish the Disney Wonder would come a bit closer so we could see it from home some day! :)

Looks like there's not a single unit in all of SSR of any size on Thanksgiving Day itself (long story, but our original reservation apparently only went through then, I'd forgotten that). So, if you're staying at SSR over Thanksgiving, would you mind canceling your ressie for me? You don't wanna stay at that dump anyhow do you? :lmao:

NOW I'm booked 11/20 - 11/24 in a 2BDR, and then 11/25-11/29. We're homeless on Turkey Day itself I'm afraid. lol at me. I guess I'll book a cash room somewhere for that day, but it's a bummer to have to move on the holiday. Because SSR is so big, and this is all six months away, is there almost a 100% certainty that the night will open up? I hate to book a cash reservation for nothing. Things are even worse for the 4 family members in the studio, they're homeless on Turkey Day and the 25th both. But I never liked them much anyhow. :rotfl2:

What about booking the same level room at SSR (cash) and link the two reservations; then cancel if your WL comes through?

What about booking the same level room at SSR (cash) and link the two reservations; then cancel if your WL comes through?

I had considered that, but thought it would somehow decrease the odds that the wait list would work out. Actually, I think I was afraid they wouldn't allow me to both reserve a room with cash, and waitlist for the same room at the same time. This is definitely possible? If so, I guess I could cough up the $540 for that one night (ouch) and hope I get to cancel it eventually.

I had considered that, but thought it would somehow decrease the odds that the wait list would work out. Actually, I think I was afraid they wouldn't allow me to both reserve a room with cash, and waitlist for the same room at the same time. This is definitely possible? If so, I guess I could cough up the $540 for that one night (ouch) and hope I get to cancel it eventually.

Who knows there may be a discount? DVC or annual pass? I would call MS to see. What about calling Disney directly? Not sure if you did it the second way that they could link it so that you don't have to move? It's worth trying to see.

We are ones who don't like to move/switch resorts in the middle of the stay.

This year for Thanksgiving in at GV? I'm not so sure that is going happen this late. You might be able to get the two bedroom and studio, but even that might be difficult. You probably should have booked them at 11 months out.

This year for Thanksgiving in at GV? I'm not so sure that is going happen this late. You might be able to get the two bedroom and studio, but even that might be difficult. You probably should have booked them at 11 months out.

When booking Grand Villas, especially for holiday times I always am on the phone at the 11 month mark.

I've had no problem getting SSR GV's for Thanksgiving using this method.

At this point, I think getting a 2br for that timeframe might be tough.

depends on how much time you want to spend with the family, sometimes alone time is nice. :thumbsup2

This is what was making it hard for my decision to book a GV or not :laughing:

The points are horrifically high but since we only get to see my brother-n-law, his wife and kids every 2-3 years we thought it would be nice. So, I booked our first GV stay for Jan 2012 :cool1:

I would go with separate rooms if I see these people on a regular basis :lmao:

We stayed in the AKV GV in '09 and absolutely loved it. The space was incredible. We had 12 people with us and could have fit many more.

It is a points hog, I will give you that. But, it was something we knew in advance that we were going to do and borrowed points from the next year to make it happen. Since it was so many points, we only stayed for about 4 nights and then moved over to BLT and took care of that with cash. Expensive vacation, well worth it to spend time with family.

Just remember that if you do the GV, you do not have to spend the whole day with everyone you came with. Split up and enjoy the free time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter