• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Floridian Villas vs. Polynesian for Easter 2017 Trip

schultzywi

Earning My Ears
DVC Silver
We are doing our second trip as DVC owners for 6 nights, starting Saturday April 16th. Since we only 100 points available, I currently have 3 nights booked in a VGF studio (our home resort) from Saturday through Monday night and was planning on booking a family suite at AoA for the last three nights (my kids really want to stay there). Since I don't think we will do MK until later in our stay due to the high crowds over the holiday weekend, I was thinking of moving our DVC stay until the end of our trip so we can take advantage of being on the monorail. However, it looks like the studios are now booked at GFV, but the studios are still open at the Polynesian. Plus, I could buy one time use points and stay four nights at the Polynesian and save by only staying 2 nights at AoA. Provided the studios are still open in a few weeks at our 7 month mark, would you switch to Polynesian Studio or stick with GFV over the Easter weekend?

To me, either way your in a studio and with Poly you can be in DVC longer so I would choose Poly. Or, maybe at 7 months your GFV will open up and you can get four nights.

Good luck.

That sounds like a great plan (switching aoa to the beginning of your vacation) if you are doing MK during the latter half of your stay.

If the poly is still available at 7mo, book it! And/or Waitlist the missing days. I like the poly very much. Their studios are huge. Have fun!

Just out of curiosity, why choose between VGF & PVB when planning MK visits? Wouldn't BLT be better in terms of location? Perhaps PVB would be better availability at 7 months than BLT?

LAX

I am assuming you mean you will keep the current VGF reservation until you can attempt the switch at 7 months out. That week is not just Easter week. Beginning the Thursday after Easter, it is also the Star Wars Dark Side weekend with a half marathon, a weekend begun this year in mid-April which resulted in signifcant park crowds even without being part of Easter week. Moreover, that Star Wars weekend was also a high demand DVC weekend -- when it was announced in August 2015, eight months before the event, it almost instantly became a high demand DVC weekend with higher demand than Easter itself. Despite that, I believe there is decent chance Poly will still be open when you attempt the switch at 7 months out from the day after Easter but there is a risk otherwise. So do not relinguish your VGF reservation before you intend to reserve Poly.

You are correct that MK crowds will be extreme Easter weekend, particularly Easter and the day after, but you should not assume they will be much better the rest of the week since crowds at MK are usually huge through Thursday of Easter week and adding the Star Wars weekend means they are not likely to improve just because Easter may be late this year. Nevertheless, getting four days at Poly rather than just three at VGF would be a good choice.

As to possibly going with BLT, I would recommend Poly or VGF as planned even if BLT is open. The studios at BLT are much smaller than the studios at Poly and VGF. If you are going for a 1BR, I would suggest BLT.

Last edited:
VGF is spectacular at Easter. The chefs create dozens of basketball sized Easter Eggs which are displayed in the main lobby. Each is decorated with a Disney scene, and each is made of totally edible ingredients.

However, you also can't go wrong at Poly, and you can easily come over to the Grand lobby one day to see the eggs.

There is no wrong answer here. But if you could swing an extra day at the Poly, I might do that.
Strategically, I would stay at the VGF for one fewer day. This will blow your family away, and help build a consensus to add on some more points so next time you get all six days at VGF. image.jpeg

I would choose the Poly for the extra night. Both resorts are amazing, so you really can't go wrong! Plus, you can enjoy both via the monorail - just hop over to the other for a meal or stroll. We just stayed at the Poly for the first time and thought it was truly magical. The view of Wishes and transportation options can't be beat. Enjoy!!!

Between those choices I'd do AoA first and Poly 4 nights. April 16th 2017 is Sunday if that matters. Personally I'd try to get all nights DVC, maybe SSR, OKW, BWV standard or AKV if you could swing it. For AKV standard 100 plus 24 OTU would get you through the entire 6 nights but I think you'd be 2 points short if you look at OKW and 1 point short for SSR standard. A transfer or private rental to hook up with your other reservation might even be better. Maybe split VGF and Poly or BLT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter