• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Floridian Tea- recent visits?

Aurora0427

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for feedback on recent visits to afternoon tea in the garden room at the Grand Floridian. As in, the last 6 months or so. I've read a few reviews from 2016 that state it's not what it used to be- more expensive, smaller portions, food not as good.

We are going in August, and I don't want to pay for this if it's as bad as recent reviews. We did it back in 2000, and it was fabulous, but that was 17 years ago!

Haven't done it in 6 months but was there last Sept.
upload_2017-2-4_12-24-28.png

I go just about every trip. It is a little more expensive but I still love it and think the quality is still great.

We went in October 2016 & I really enjoyed it. I don't look for large portions so I can't comment on that, but the quality of the food was fine & the atmosphere was wonderful.

We went in Dec 2015 (so about 13 months ago)... It was our first trip so I can't comment on food quality prior. I really don't remember being wowed by the food, or thinking it was terrible. We really enjoyed the tea, and the experience. My daughter has requested we go back on our next trip, I think she liked having her very own tea pot & pouring it.

We did it two summers ago and loved it! There was too much food for us to eat so we took some leftovers back to the room. We had a 2pm reservation and weren't hungry for dinner.

I did it in 2015 when they first switched to the menu with no a la carte options. It was terrible, rushed service, weak tea... Bland pre-prepared snacks! I hated being essentially forced to pay for a bunch of gross finger sandwiches I didn't want and didn't like. The china/tea sets are also not as nice as they used to be. Since 2015 the prices have gone up and the experience has not gotten any better. You're now forced to pay even more for bland food you may not even want.

I really just hate being forced to pay $25-30 a head (not including tip!) for sad boring snacks in a pretty room. I long for the days when I could go there and get the sally lunn tea that included only things I liked for under $20.

Oh, also, I'll never forgive them for changing their trifle. It used to be so delicious, and now it just tastes like a snack I'd buy from the Publix bakery. But hey, I guess it looks pretty. :rolleyes2

We did it in December 2013 and it was very good and for me very filling. I think the menu options may have changed since, and from what I've heard, not for the better. There are also no longer any discounts and with the cost of it now, we choose not to do it on our last trip this past December. I still dream of the days of the Afternoon Tea at the Rose & Crown in World Showcase. :love:

Last edited:
Some friends of mine went between Christmas and New Years and the pics they share were part of the inspiration for me to actually make my own vacation trip happen. It looked AMAZING! I actually won't be doing this particular meal this time around (going solo and it certainly feels more like a 2-person or more setting), but it's on my Bucket List.

We went the day after Christmas 2016. The portion was generous. The server was very eager to help DS find a tea he liked and even offered to find pineapple juice when he asked if he could have that instead (I put a stop to that...) Neither of us liked the cranberry trifle--it was too tart. But otherwise it was lovely.

I was disappointed in the tea offerings on our trip last March. They used to have a larger collection of teas, with many that were somewhat unusual. But, after they changed their menu (and paired with Twinings, I believe), it's become such a short, boring menu.

Of course, that should make me feel better about the fact that they're so ridiculously chintzy in charging for extra pots of tea. NO other tea salons that I have ever been to do that for afternoon/high tea.

Went this past Sept and loved it. First time so can't compare it to what it was like before but we really enjoyed it. The blue cheese and honeycomb together was amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_7254.JPG
    IMG_7254.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 12
Some friends of mine went between Christmas and New Years and the pics they share were part of the inspiration for me to actually make my own vacation trip happen. It looked AMAZING! I actually won't be doing this particular meal this time around (going solo and it certainly feels more like a 2-person or more setting), but it's on my Bucket List.

I go solo all the time, they do the servings per person so it's not a problem. I love it, I feel like I'm playing grown up with my Mama.

We (myself and DD) have attended the past two years (December 2015 and November 2016) and it is one of our favorite and must do things now. The only difference I noticed that had changed was the tea supplier and flavors. I was kind of sad that the "house specialty" tea was no longer offered, but the CM was very helpful with finding a replacement. We actually had leftovers that we took back for DH. It is pricey, but we enjoy it. As a side note, we were in England in June and attended a Tea Room while there. Our experience at WDW let us know what to expect...LOL.

I'm looking for feedback on recent visits to afternoon tea in the garden room at the Grand Floridian. As in, the last 6 months or so. I've read a few reviews from 2016 that state it's not what it used to be- more expensive, smaller portions, food not as good.

We are going in August, and I don't want to pay for this if it's as bad as recent reviews. We did it back in 2000, and it was fabulous, but that was 17 years ago!
I had afternoon tea in late January 2017. I went solo and paid $35 for the least expensive experience. I don't like the little sandwiches at all so I asked if I could substitute the GF trifle in place of them. That way I didn't have to decide between the cute swan pastries and the trifle (a much too difficult decision for me). So, instead of the sandwich plate they brought me a lovely plate of fresh blueberries, raspberries, and grapes and a gorgeous trifle. This plate along with the warm scone and jam tart plate and the tiny swans and macarones plate made my tea experience very nice indeed!

I've had tea here twice solo, and it is actually the least awkward feeling solo dining I have ever done at Disney World. It is just lovely and not to be missed. I go at 2pm for a break on my Magic Kingdom day. It is so quick and easy to get there on the water taxi, and also a quick return to MK via the monorail. Don't miss this just because you are solo. I got the reservation just two days out.

I took my 6 year old daughter to tea there last September and we loved every minute! This was my first time there so I have nothing to compare to, but the fruit I was served was some of the best fruit I have ever tasted. I enjoyed each of the "courses" and I did not walk away hungry in the slightest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter