• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Floridian or Polynesian

Originally posted by KathyTX
Depends! What appeals to you most:

Pina Colada or Gin and Tonic?
Sarong and barefoot, or chic sundress and strappy sandals?
Jimmy Buffet on the beach, or a brass quintet in a town square?
Chicken wings and pineapple chunks, or cucumber sandwiches and tea?
Robinson Crusoe or Mary Poppins?

Both fun, but two very different moods.

Very well put, Kathy from Texas! :D We love both too but we love the Poly more!

Nickunited, look at it this way. Lots of people go to Hawaii, Fiji, etc. Some want to stay at a luxury hotel or B&B, some want stay at an upscale yet laidback resort where they can relax and sway with the breeze it whistles through the palm trees. I like to do both, but I'm definitely a "palm tree" kind of person at heart.

Thanks guys - really - your helping me out - I have not thought of some of these things. It is going to be a tough decision. Ill fill you in and all of you please have a great and safe holiday season!

We just visited both on our recent trip, and the GF is making a lot more effort. The monorail guy pointed out how the Poly had not even put up half their Xmas decorations. That might be indicative of a general rundown attitude in comparison to the GF. Something to think about. I would definitely choose the GF.

Cheers :)

I've stayed at the Grand Floridian and really enjoyed it. It's a beautiful resort with an excellent location. We had a lagoon view room and every night we were able to sit and watch the castle change colors, from our balcony :) We will probably stay there again, at some point.

Currently DH and I are planning a short stay at WDW following our 7-night Disney cruise next summer. We are not even considering staying at the Grand Floridian for this trip. We visited the Polynesian last time, had a couple of meals there, and was shown a room by a friendly CM. DSs (ages 15 and 12), DH, and I fell in love with the Polynesian! We will probably be staying there following our cruise, unless we decide the Wilderness Lodge. (DH likes the theme of the WL, and so do I, but we're thinking of saving that resort for a cool-weather trip).

If a person doesn't like a theme of a particular resort then that's fine, obviously. It's a matter of personal tastes and opinions. But to think that the theme and decor of the Polynesian is old, worn, outdated, etc, is simply due to a lack of knowledge of what a REAL Polynesian island looks like. Disney is well known for trying their best to be authentic; just take a look at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The same holds true for the Polynesian resort. I know people who have lived in Hawaii, who have visited many of islands in the south seas, and who have researched those same islands, and they ALL say that Disney's Polynesian resort is extremely AUTHENTIC. :sunny:

Steve: I can understand your frustration; year after year of reading the same types of threads.... Some people just don't get it. Also, I want to thank you AGAIN for your wonderful web site! :wave2:

While I have yet to stay at either resort, I can say that my personal taste leans me to be more inclined to want the Poly to be my next hotel to stay in at WDW. We visited both resorts during our trip. We did the Afternoon Tea at the GF and certainly took in many of their holiday entertainment opportunities. We also went over to the Poly to check it out.

We fell in love with the Poly. The transportation convenience is a huge selling point. The place has a really comfortable feel and I can't wait to get some more of that Kona coffee. It was the best coffee we had during our whole trip.

So, count me in for a vote for the Poly. Maggie

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I would choose the GF over the Poly.

I have always loved visiting the Poly for dinner at O' Hana, and finally in a few short weeks, I will actually be staying there!

My only comment/question about this thread has to do with the bathroom off of the first floor lobby. It left quite a bad impression,(looked like 1974 and in need of rennovation) but not enough to prevent me from staying there. Maybe everybody on this thread who does not like the Poly is judging them on their lobby potty! Or are people just snobby? Jut kidding, here.. I've been reading Dr. Seuss this evening. I don't think that you can go wrong with eith the GF or the Poly.

Bu I am wondering, have they done anything about this bathroom? We were there last in August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter