• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Floridian or Contemporary?!

MissTraveler08

Earning My Ears
Hi! :) We're planning our Disney Trip - 2012!
So we've been staying at the GF a lot recently, LOVE it but we're up for change! For us, we would love to be on the monorail, it's a deal breaker! We've stayed at the Poly, it was nice! but we were thinking of the Contemporary? :confused3 If not, then we would go back to the GF. For us, the price doesn't make any difference...
Open to all feedback! Let us know which you prefer! :flower3:

The CR rooms were recently renovated and are quite nice, not at all garish as they were a few renovations ago. We enjoy the garden rooms; they are not as convenient as the tower rooms (a bit more walking involved), but IMHO they are more peaceful.

You also might want to consider BLT; a bridge connects the resorts and using the monorail is still very convenient. :)

It is easy to walk to the MK too. :thumbsup2

I vote for GF. We stayed last Sept and LOVED it. to us, the CR is a little "too modern" and cold looking. The GF was warm, inviting, and the whole resort seemed SO much more peaceful. We were debating which of the monorail resorts for our 2013 trip.... my DH keeps coming back to the GF. To us, the CR seems a little too much like you're staying "in the city". (I'm sorry, it's just my opinion) so we're between the Poly, GF and possibly WL. :confused3

I would go with the Contemporary because they are the only resort with a walkway to and from the Magic Kingdom, so staying there means you can get to the Magic Kingdom as fast as possible. Plus when returning to the Contemporary you can't beat walking back and should you take the Resort Monorail the Contemporary is the next stop after leaving the Magic Kingdom. Besides that should you reserve a room in their Tower you are an elevator ride away from all their stores, dining options and transportation options. Plus all their rooms in the Tower come with full size balconies.

I vote for GF. We stayed last Sept and LOVED it. to us, the CR is a little "too modern" and cold looking. The GF was warm, inviting, and the whole resort seemed SO much more peaceful. We were debating which of the monorail resorts for our 2013 trip.... my DH keeps coming back to the GF. To us, the CR seems a little too much like you're staying "in the city". (I'm sorry, it's just my opinion) so we're between the Poly, GF and possibly WL. :confused3
I got the "cold, too modern" feel too! When we stay at the GF, we usually take the monorail over to each of the resorts on it and look around! It would be interesting to try though!

+ AND, Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Much appreciated :)

I would go with the Contemporary because they are the only resort with a walkway to and from the Magic Kingdom, so staying there means you can get to the Magic Kingdom as fast as possible. Plus when returning to the Contemporary you can't beat walking back and should you take the Resort Monorail the Contemporary is the next stop after leaving the Magic Kingdom. Besides that should you reserve a room in their Tower you are an elevator ride away from all their stores, dining options and transportation options. Plus all their rooms in the Tower come with full size balconies.

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you notice any commotion from the rooms, with the monorail going in and out of there all night? :confused3

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you notice any commotion from the rooms, with the monorail going in and out of there all night? :confused3

We could not hear the monorail at all in out tower room at the Contemporary. We were directly above Chef Mickey's ~ it was so much fun. We loved the rooms there:)

Hearing the Monorail from the Tower rooms has never been a problem. A few years ago I had a room on the 6th floor which was right over the Monorail station and not once did the Monorail cause any noise while I was were the room. Plus eventually the Monorail stops for the evening, so they don't run all night and two of them are stopped during that time inside the Contemporary.

Now the only noise factor I can think of is if you get a room over Chef Mickey's because some people don't like it and if you are one of them request a room on the other side over their stores. However there have been a few times when I had a room over Chef Mickey's and not once was the noise from there a problem, so it depends on who you talk to and what their opinion is.

I would go with the GF :). We've never stayed at the CR as the theme/decor holds no appeal to us. The CR has too much of a convention feel to me......I feel like I'm in an ordinary hotel whenever I'm there. I think the GF has a more welcoming feel to it and an overall better atmosphere :goodvibes.

The CR has too much of a convention feel to me......I feel like I'm in an ordinary hotel whenever I'm there. I think the GF has a more welcoming feel to it and an overall better atmosphere :goodvibes.
Actually the Grand Floridian is also a convention resort just like the Contemporary.

Our last two trips we stayed CR mk view on the Chef Mickey's end of the hotel. We were not bother by any noise. I can't see us ever staying anywhere else :thumbsup2 The view is worth every penny for our family. Also watching the fireworks from our balcony every night is the main reason for our choice. We love the staff, Contemp Cafe (I'm addicted to the beef flatbread), the monorail, everything :banana: I vote for trying CR, I don't think you will be disappointed with a mk view room :thumbsup2

I would pay rack rate at gf before I would stay at Cr on a discount. It looks like hospital or office building to me. The decore inside is not much better.

I would pay rack rate at gf before I would stay at Cr on a discount. It looks like hospital or office building to me. The decore inside is not much better.

I'm sorry you think that! But lots of people like the feel of that hotel. :rolleyes1

We love the gf and would stay there on every trip if money were no object. But we now own at bay lake tower and really enjoy our stays there. Yes, there is a different feel to the rooms, but theres a high energy feel to the 4th floor of the contemporary that can't be beat! Walking in the door from the Blt bridge is like the excitement I feel when we drive onto wdw property at the start of our trip. I think you should definitely try it!

The GF & CR are both very different Resorts, so it's all down to personal preference. If you're not keen on Modern-ish decor then the CR isn't really for you (i happen to LOVE modern decor). I haven't stayed at either so i'm probably going to get told of - but what i'm telling you is what i've heard from many people. :)

Have a look at CR photos & see what you think, also look at the dining options & see if they appeal to you. But there's also BLT. Just make sure you're 100% happy with your choice. :thumbsup2

The GF & CR are both very different Resorts, so it's all down to personal preference. If you're not keen on Modern-ish decor then the CR isn't really for you (i happen to LOVE modern decor). I haven't stayed at either so i'm probably going to get told of - but what i'm telling you is what i've heard from many people. :)

Have a look at CR photos & see what you think, also look at the dining options & see if they appeal to you. But there's also BLT. Just make sure you're 100% happy with your choice. :thumbsup2
What's BLT?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter