Grand Floridian Bldg 9 (Big Pine) Resort Studio Theme Park View

4407mark

Walt's #1 Fan
We made a somewhat spur of the moment trip last week and wound up in a new resort studio (lagoon view) for two nights and then had to switch rooms to a theme park view for our third night. Both rooms were beautiful and the Mary Poppins theming was really well done (be sure to check out the chandelier and look closely (one of these things is not like the other). The reason for today's post is regarding the Theme Park view. Our TP view room was 9247 (Bldg 9, Big Pine Key) it was larger than the lagoon view room due to it being a corner room. There were two balconies (one faced the Poly and Wedding Chapel) and the other faced the Magic Kingdom. However, that view was partially obscured by a large pine tree. As you can see from the photo, there is an obstructed view of the castle. We did not see the fireworks that night - we were over at the Contemporary at the time (caught in a shower) but obviously our view from the balcony would not have allowed for an appropriate view. I'm not disputing that this is a them park view because it obviously is - but I would think that DVC could at least offer guests the information that rooms 9147, 9247, 9437, etc. have an obstructed view just like the cruise line has obstructed porthole views. Overall the room was very nice, the two balconies is a definite plus (the balcony view below is from just outside the room - balcony extends a good 15 feet or so to the right and looks at the Poly), and it worked perfect for our one night stay there. Just wanted others to be aware of the obstructed view to avoid any disappointment. Castle View copy.jpg

You should definitely let DVC know. Sometimes, they make the decisions on paper and no one actually checks the reality of it.

Its how they ended up changing some TPV rooms at BLT to SV after people stayed and gave feedback.

I did that when I ended up in a 1st floor 1 bedroom PV room at RIV. I didn’t feel it should be PV and let them know. I did not want any points back but did want them to have the feedback so potential adjustments could be made if they got a lot of negative feedback.

You should definitely let DVC know. Sometimes, they make the decisions on paper and no one actually checks the reality of it.

Its how they ended up changing some TPV rooms at BLT to SV after people stayed and gave feedback.

I did that when I ended up in a 1st floor 1 bedroom PV room at RIV. I didn’t feel it should be PV and let them know. I did not want any points back but did want them to have the feedback so potential adjustments could be made if they got a lot of negative feedback.
I agree that you should notify DVC about your view. We were assigned a "savanna view" GV at Kidani in fall 2009, just a few months after opening. It was a terrible view with only a small strip of the Pembe savanna visible from balcony. DH and I went back to front desk to complain and were assigned a different unit as several were vacant. The rooms in that section were later reclassified as standard view.

PVB has the same issue with the first floor of the LV - It's not marketed as TP and you can see the Lake if you look through the Bungalows so no chance of a reclassification. I wish they would make the 2nd and 3rd floor TP view at one price point and the bottom floor LV so you don't have to roll the dice for the 3-4 points a night difference.

We did let them know. I didn’t have significant heartburn primarily because it was just one night and we were not planning on being in the room much anyway. I did want to alert others to it though as it does seem odd that they would call that a theme park view when it really isn’t. Hopefully DVC will correct it to an SV.

BWV pool/garden has the same issue with huge trees blocking any view. According to the CMs, many have complained, little has been done. I bring peanuts and feed the skinny Florida squirrels.

Wow. THAT is the most expensive view in DVC inventory? What a joke.

After my construction mess at VGF2, it’s clear they don’t a flip about your experience. I would say I would complain, but you probably would have gotten as far as I did.

This is really disappointing from DVC. Feels very timeshare-y.

I kind of look at DVC rooms as Standard View Book up first, Preferred View, what's left over and going to cost more points not going to always be an actual preferred view. I never pay for a preferred view, that's just me,. I know sometimes the view can be pretty spectacular, maybe BLT overlooking MK or possibly some of the BPK rooms, but I do tend to think that it is just a way to charge more points for the same room. 11 months out the SV rooms are the first to start booking. We also stayed at Riviera in an SV 1BR and had the most incredible view of MK and Epcot fireworks.
ETA, we do go a lot, so the views are not big deal to us. So, I do get that some people it may be more important to them especially if they are expecting a really special view.

Last edited:
Now that all of the points have been declared, with those rooms classified as Theme Park View, DVC has limited options to adjust. Perhaps they could re-balance the point charts, lowering those rooms to some other view.

I have to assume GF staff has been dealing with issues concerning those balconies for years. These aren't new rooms. And anyone standing on that balcony should realize that they will be a constant source of complaints if charged at the same level as the non-obstructed balconies. It's disappointing that nobody put all those pieces together.

I kind of look at DVC rooms as Standard View Book up first, Preferred View, what's left over and going to cost more points not going to always be an actual preferred view. I never pay for a preferred view, that's just me,. I know sometimes the view can be pretty spectacular, maybe BLT overlooking MK or possibly some of the BPK rooms, but I do tend to think that it is just a way to charge more points for the same room.
Poly lake view is not the easiest to get. It does book before 7 months often, I'd say it's harder than standard Poly. It's a better view than this for sure, and not much more than standard Poly.

I'd love to get BW view. Maybe someday.

I was toying with trying to get that particular view for NYE 2023 at GF, but I think the BLT theme park view is better. I don’t want to take a chance. Thanks for this thread.

In the beginning of BLT’s time, I did get points returned for one of the lower lake views. That floor, whatever it was, was changed to standard view. I had a lower theme park view at BLT this 4th of July, maybe it was the 4th floor, and I was satisfied.

I was toying with trying to get that particular view for NYE 2023 at GF, but I think the BLT theme park view is better. I don’t want to take a chance. Thanks for this thread.

In the beginning of BLT’s time, I did get points returned for one of the lower lake views. That floor, whatever it was, was changed to standard view. I had a lower theme park view at BLT this 4th of July, maybe it was the 4th floor, and I was satisfied.
BLT theme park view is absolutely better!

We made a somewhat spur of the moment trip last week and wound up in a new resort studio (lagoon view) for two nights and then had to switch rooms to a theme park view for our third night. Both rooms were beautiful and the Mary Poppins theming was really well done (be sure to check out the chandelier and look closely (one of these things is not like the other). The reason for today's post is regarding the Theme Park view. Our TP view room was 9247 (Bldg 9, Big Pine Key) it was larger than the lagoon view room due to it being a corner room. There were two balconies (one faced the Poly and Wedding Chapel) and the other faced the Magic Kingdom. However, that view was partially obscured by a large pine tree. As you can see from the photo, there is an obstructed view of the castle. We did not see the fireworks that night - we were over at the Contemporary at the time (caught in a shower) but obviously our view from the balcony would not have allowed for an appropriate view. I'm not disputing that this is a them park view because it obviously is - but I would think that DVC could at least offer guests the information that rooms 9147, 9247, 9437, etc. have an obstructed view just like the cruise line has obstructed porthole views. Overall the room was very nice, the two balconies is a definite plus (the balcony view below is from just outside the room - balcony extends a good 15 feet or so to the right and looks at the Poly), and it worked perfect for our one night stay there. Just wanted others to be aware of the obstructed view to avoid any disappointment. View attachment 685595
Just came back from 3 night stay with this view! 9347! Theme park view?? No theme park to be seen through that tree!! Hoping to get some points refunded back into account but not holding my breath! Ridiculous what they get away with!

Just came back from 3 night stay with this view! 9347! Theme park view?? No theme park to be seen through that tree!! Hoping to get some points refunded back into account but not holding my breath! Ridiculous what they get away with!

I was told, as shared, that many times they make view determination on paper without actually knowing what it will turn out to be because many times, that needs to be decided when doing total points for the resort for declaring.

Obviously no one actual went in to the building to double check.

But. With enough feedback hopefully it was get reclassified like those TPV rooms did at BLT.

Wow, that’s terrible. Last week we were initially very disappointed we were assigned a ground floor MK view, 9144, but after seeing our view, we were very happy.

I wondered how much those pines might be in the way for the higher room numbers to the right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter