Grand Floridian "Angel"(?) Mystery!

BC1836

DIS Veteran
We received a phone call from the GF in which a spokesperson said to us that they have no record of a "Leigh" who works for them at Reservations or anywhere else in the hotel. They said that they can't explain it.

Here's the background based on two previous posts:

Dec. 17, 2007:

We just returned from a six-night stay at WDW. We stayed at Coronado Springs for our first night since we were unable to book the GF exclusively for our initial week. We added Saturday night to our stay to provide us with a little more magic.

Now then: To the topic at hand.
While all of the CMs we encountered seemed to have the Christmas Spirit one must be singled out for her extraordinary concern and compassion.

On Tuesday night at Boma, next to us, a Canadian family of four were celebrating the young son's birthday. We inroduced ourselves and began to chat. My wife was also celebrating her December birthday and I took an obligatory photo. The family did not have a camera so I offered to take a picture of the boy and his mom (who was sitting next to him). I told them that I would process the picture on the next day and sent it to their hotel before they departed. They gave me their name and their hotel. Well, we decided that it would be better if we processed the picture and place it in a Disney frame. Just a photo wasn't good enough. Sure, they were strangers but they were a long way from home and celebrating a birthday at WDW. We brought the farmed picture in a box to the reservations desk and, by chance, Leigh attended to us. We told her what we had done and she assured us that the gift would be delivered through the hotel-to-hotel concierge delivery service Well, the next day we saw her and she said told us: "In order to make sure it got there before the family left I drove over to the hotel and delivered it to concierge myself after my shift was over." Now THAT'S what I call extraordinary! To be sure, a formal letter will go the GF acknowledging the efforts of superb CM. Of course, the Canadian family will never know about most of this. But they will have a photo taken by strangers and delivered by an "unknown" CM. And they will smile.

Jan. 1, 2008:

We received a phone call from Walt Disney World headquarters this morning acknowledging our letter about the GF's Leigh and her extraordinary service!

Any suggestions (No, we got the name right off of her name tag on consecutive days at the GF!)?

Is this weird or what? :
:confused3

It is possible she was wearing a borrowed tag. CM's get in trouble for being "out of costume" if not wearing a name tag. I had a couple of times when I asked a CM about their hometown printed on their nametag only to have them look at me blankly, then explain that they had misplaced their own tag and borrowed another so as to be "in costume". I encountered this in the parks and at resorts, so I think it may happen a lot.

It's a little weird, but we had the same kind of thing happen with name tags just this past weekend. We were on the boat to DTD from POR. The driver said his name was JJason but his name said Claudio. I think the CMs are required to wear a name tag, but they aren't told it has to be theirs. It could have been her room mates.

We had a restaurant server at H&V tell us that her name was not the same as her tag so I think that's fairly common.
We also had a magical conceierge experience at the Swan in 2002.
DD (18 at the time) had her portrait done and framed in MK. When we were exiting through the turnstile the glass on the frame got hit and broke. I can't remember why, but we didn't have time to go back. We asked the concierge at the Swan where we were staying about getting a new frame. She said that she would go to MK herself and get it reframed with no charge to us. Her kindness was very much appreciated and we left a gift for her before we left. :)

Thanks mom2alix, Shmily1 and Teacher510!
A followup phone conversation with the GF resulted in similar infomation.
It's too bad, in a way, because the person was so very courteous and helpful, and we wanted her properly recognized. Still, she went out of her way - whoever she is - and helped deliver a gift.

Still, deep down inside, we just wonder if Leigh could have been....

Many of the young CMs trade name badges. If they loose their badge, it costs them $10 to replace it. Since many don't have a lot of money, they often use a co-worker's badge or one of the extras available at their job location.

What a wonderful thing for you to do! I also think I remember a Leigh at the lobby concierge desk at GF. She was great!

Could that have been where you went? There is no reservation desk per se. But the Lobby Concierge is the place to make dining and recreation reservations.

But kudos to Leigh and you!!!!:goodvibes

Could you not call the front desk and ask them who was working on that day? explain their situation to you.

We did this while at POP my friend who travelled with us decided to leave her mousekeeper a tip at the end of the week and near the end of our stay I saw her and thanked her for her animal antics for my DS. She asked how long we would be there for and I asked her if we would see her tomorrow and she said she was off for a few days so wouldn't see us before she left.

I quickly told my friend and she called the front desk found out the name of our mousekeeper and had the manager of mousekeeping come and collect her tip. I hope she got it.

Stephanie

What a wonderful thing for you to do! I also think I remember a Leigh at the lobby concierge desk at GF. She was great!

Could that have been where you went? There is no reservation desk per se. But the Lobby Concierge is the place to make dining and recreation reservations.

But kudos to Leigh and you!!!!:goodvibes

I should have said "registration/check-in" instead of "reservation." Thanks for the correction (we were caught up in the "magic.")

All the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter