Grand Cayman without excursions?

PixieLily

PixieLily
Hello fellow travelers. Will be sailing to the Grand Cayman in November. Do they have enough shops and things to visit when we get off, or do u recommend that an excursion is needed for the day? Thank you!:flower1::love::worship:

Yes, there are shops that you can explore where the tenders let you off.

we walked around last July, I personally dont think there was a lot of shops. I personally would not do it again. Next time we will either do an excursion or stay on the ship. In the past we have always done excursions.
we also could not purchase alcohol at the duty free shop, DCL does not have an agreement where the duty free shop sends the bottles back to the ship, nor would they sell it to us to bring back on the tender. From what the cashier told me, the other cruise lines have an agreement. Maybe it has changed now?

If you are interested in a cheap, relaxing beach day I would recommend Cemetery beach. It's a public beach just past 7 mile beach area and seemed to be mainly locals. There is a parking area with public restrooms across the street. There is a bus station 2 blocks from Port right next to a nice Starbucks. It costs $5 a person to go anywhere on the bus loop and there is a stop right across the street. We brought 2 pool floats that we hadn't inflated yet and our own snorkeling gear and had a great day. Highly recommend.

If you are interested in a cheap, relaxing beach day I would recommend Cemetery beach. It's a public beach just past 7 mile beach area and seemed to be mainly locals. There is a parking area with public restrooms across the street. There is a bus station 2 blocks from Port right next to a nice Starbucks. It costs $5 a person to go anywhere on the bus loop and there is a stop right across the street. We brought 2 pool floats that we hadn't inflated yet and our own snorkeling gear and had a great day. Highly recommend.

Thanks for this beach info. I was creating a back-up plan for a hurricane season Eastern C cruise - in case we diverted to a Western. I saw this beach and thought It might be a good option - and doable without an excursion.

Just the type of details I needed!

Hello fellow travelers. Will be sailing to the Grand Cayman in November. Do they have enough shops and things to visit when we get off, or do u recommend that an excursion is needed for the day? Thank you!:flower1::love::worship:
They have shopping but it is not like Jamaica or Bahamas. It is more developed. But it is so beautiful that I couldn’t see not doing something. If it’s crowds you don’t want or if you’re not wanting anything exhausting, we booked a private catamaran.

We found a lovely bar / restaurant right on the water for a nice break from shopping - the drinks were good the four was great the bar tenders very friendly - saw all kinds of fish swim up ! We just wandered around and fun - I booked the cruise very last minute so all the good excursions were booked so we just shopped and had fun - I felt safe walking around

I just posted this on another thread.

My wife and I usually do not do excursions. We like to wander on our own. When ever we visit an Island we like to find local brewery's.

If you are into craft beer
On the Cayman Island stop we go to Caybrew. As soon as we get off the ship we get a taxi to the brewery. At one time they would call a taxi to get you back to the port, you of course had to pay for it however I do not remember it being that expensive. My wife communicated with them to find out all the information about hours and taxi info through their Facebook Page.
As always you do need to keep track of your time because you are on your own, this is not through Disney.
Next trip we are looking at a different brewery and possibly a distillery.

As far as shopping it all depend on what you are looking for. Lots of jewelry/watch stores.
My big thing is T shirts and we did not have any problems finding them.

June 2022 we walked to the public bus depot. Took the yellow bus/West Bay/1 route to the Cayman Turtle Center. Spent a couple hours there. Hopped another bus to Hell to see the geological site, shop, send a postcard. Walked to the gas station and took another bus back. It was $2.50 everytime we got off the bus. Spent a total of $30 for transportation for 4 of us.

Were there chairs and umbrellas to rent at Cemetery Beach?

Were there chairs and umbrellas to rent at Cemetery Beach?
No chairs or vendors of any kind. Bare bones public beach access. There are a couple big trees right on the beach so we just set up a beach blanket near one of those in the shade. Next time we will grab some snacks and drinks before going out so we can stay longer.

No chairs or vendors of any kind. Bare bones public beach access. There are a couple big trees right on the beach so we just set up a beach blanket near one of those in the shade. Next time we will grab some snacks and drinks before going out so we can stay longer.
I also recommend Smith Barcadere, which is a smaller local beach with picnic tables and restrooms with outdoor showers.

On a recent stop in Grand Cayman, we took a cab to the turtle center. It was a reasonable price and we enjoyed snorkeling with the turtles. Not a huge number of shops in the port area, but there is a small liquor store that sells Jamaican patties - best ones I've ever had!

We found a lovely bar / restaurant right on the water for a nice break from shopping - the drinks were good the four was great the bar tenders very friendly - saw all kinds of fish swim up ! We just wandered around and fun - I booked the cruise very last minute so all the good excursions were booked so we just shopped and had fun - I felt safe walking around
Do you remember the name of the bar that you went to?

No I don’t think I ever saw it - let me see if I can locate my receipt and see if it’s on there - it was on the right about 2 blocks past most of the shops

On a recent stop in Grand Cayman, we took a cab to the turtle center. It was a reasonable price and we enjoyed snorkeling with the turtles. Not a huge number of shops in the port area, but there is a small liquor store that sells Jamaican patties - best ones I've ever had!
We also enjoyed snorkeling with the turtles on our recent cruise. We've stopped in Grand Cayman once before and voted to stay on the ship that time, just to enjoy an extra "sea day" on the ship with plenty planned for other days off the ship. This time, I rebooked a fantastic snorkeling excursion with Captain Marvin's that was canceled day of due to winds. They were great! Promptly refunded our money, no issues. The Captain Martin's dive shop was helpful with ideas of what to do instead. We opted to take the bus to the turtles and enjoyed the day there. We've decided we would do the exact same thing if we ever cruise to Grand Cayman again. Prebook with Captain Marvin and swim with turtles if its canceled.

Anyone know how far the turtle center is by taxi? And what it might cost to get there for 8 people?

Anyone know how far the turtle center is by taxi? And what it might cost to get there for 8 people?
It was less than 30 minute drive by "public bus" which was more like a large taxi than any bus I'm used to. We were quoted $3 a person each way...but paid $2 each going and $3 each on the return. If you walk to the library from the port (right next to Starbucks) you'll pick up a "bus" at the start of its route, thus empty. Should be less than $20 each way for your group. Bus to return to port might be a little full. There were a few private taxis and shuttles outside turtle center so 'm sure you'll have no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter